Origin sounds like a plexi????

• Thread starter tkelley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tkelley

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Origin 50 as a pedal amp. Just wondering how much it sounds like a plexi. I would rather get a 1987x but it appears they have really increased in value since the last I looked at them.

Would also like the studio plexi amps, but 20 watts will not cut it right now.

Thanks

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Origin 50 as a pedal amp. Just wondering how much it sounds like a plexi. I would rather get a 1987x but it appears they have really increased in value since the last I looked at them.

Would also like the studio plexi amps, but 20 watts will not cut it right now.

Thanks

Lots of threads here about the Origin 20 & 50 & SV20 & SC20.

what situation are you in where 20 wont cut it?

Yep, more about what you're looking for, or what hasn't already been said, might help.

tkelley

Reaction score
Usually practice doesnt cut a 20 watt amp. I have a bogner atma now and it doesnt cut it at practice. Also, our outdoor gigs it is always nice to have an more powerful amp than 20 watts.

can you turn me on to a good origin thread?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

tkelley

Reaction score
looks like people are saying a 50 Origin sounds like and 800, which is not a bad thing.

Also, perhaps a Vintage Modern would be a better choice? I see some for 800 bucks used.

trax1139

Reaction score
A6718819-50F9-4BCC-9A0D-C701D11274D2.jpeg 32B32B66-3A1B-4763-8301-C18856EF3547.jpeg
what situation are you in where 20 wont cut it?
Any band situation with a drummer and bass player.
Just got my new Origin 50 head today. Need to do something because my Germino JTM45 with 2 4/12’s just barely cuts it. I’ll try running the Origin on 1 cab and the JTM45 on the other to see how that works out. I figured it was cheap enough that if it sucks I’ll just sell it and buck up for the Germino JTM 45/100.
And I ain’t even the guitar player...they got me on bass!

Last edited:

tkelley

Reaction score
My problem is our other guitar player plays very loud. He has a solid state Fender stage 100 and it is very loud. The only way to solo over his amp is by having a loud amp.

I had a DSL 100 and that was great, but I sold it to downsize so I got and Atma. The Atma is great too, but just doesnt cut it, basically on the clean channel, at practice. It is pretty loud on the 2 and 3rd channel, just not the clean. It also doesnt sound enough like a Marshall for me.

Anyway, just looking at trying to bring more watts to the party. So the vintage modern and the Origin 50 are the top two choices.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
View attachment 84836 View attachment 84837
Any band situation with a drummer and bass player.
Just got my new Origin 50 head today. Need to do something because my Germino JTM45 with 2 4/12’s just barely cuts it. I’ll try running the Origin on 1 cab and the JTM45 on the other to see how that works out. I figured it was cheap enough that if it sucks I’ll just sell it and buck up for the Germino JTM 45/100.
WHAT! :lalala: You guys are going to lose your hearing, but guess it's yours to lose.

trax1139

Reaction score
I can’t stand being in a band that’s not fat n full sounding, balanced and well rehearsed. In my last 45 years of doing this, it seems the last 20 or so especially, the bands sound the worst and are the loudest (perceived volume) I hear. It seems when these guys show up with the small stuff, (bass players are the worst) they have to crank up and bang the Sh$t out of everything just to try and get some full, round, tonefull sound out of it instead of just firing up the Big Block and cruising. Sounds big right out of the gate.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
My problem is our other guitar player plays very loud. He has a solid state Fender stage 100 and it is very loud. The only way to solo over his amp is by having a loud amp.

I had a DSL 100 and that was great, but I sold it to downsize so I got and Atma. The Atma is great too, but just doesnt cut it, basically on the clean channel, at practice. It is pretty loud on the 2 and 3rd channel, just not the clean. It also doesnt sound enough like a Marshall for me.

Anyway, just looking at trying to bring more watts to the party. So the vintage modern and the Origin 50 are the top two choices.

The single most important thing at rehearsals is vocals. If you can't hear the vocals you need to turn down....unless the vocalist is that bad you need to drown them out.
Playing too loud it the worst thing you can do. When it's time for each guitarist to take a solo the rhythm guy should turn down a little and the lead boost a little. Seriously, more power and volume isn't the answer.