Origin sounds like a plexi????

• Thread starter tkelley
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I wasn't saying you were giving me band advice, that was rick.

Yes, a Marshall major would be great, but I can't afford one.

I guess another general question is how many people use a plexi as a pedal platform? Most people try and overdrive them at manageable volumes, I just want to use it for the volume and get my distortion from pedals.
Yes, I know, just wanted to state that up front, just in case. I don't use amps as pedal platforms, but I would think it would be dependent on the preamp design and the pedal pushing it. Some pedals work good with one amp, but not so good with others. Tough call, without trying them together.

Chris-in-LA

Reaction score
Thinking about getting an Origin 50 as a pedal amp. Just wondering how much it sounds like a plexi. I would rather get a 1987x but it appears they have really increased in value since the last I looked at them.

Would also like the studio plexi amps, but 20 watts will not cut it right now.

Thanks
Having played a 50 watt 1987x for a few years I can tell you that it’s more than loud enough to keep up with a hard hitting drummer. However I did use ear protection as the amp had to be loud to keep up with the drummer. In most bands it seems as though the drummer sets the level for the other instruments.

My recent experience with 35 watt JTM45’s tells me that they are probably loud enough for most band practice situations. I agree with you, a 20 watt Plexi might not be loud enough. Although I recently played with some guys that thought my 5e3 was too loud even when played at living room levels. I didn’t even have to use earplug with those guys as they made the drummer play quietly.

A 50 watt 2204 with a master volume is ideal for me as I can get the level and grind I need to play with any drummer, loud or soft.

Old Punker

Reaction score
View attachment 84840
Forget the foamies. I paid 1500.00 for an audiologist to have ear impressions and a tri-speaker in-ear monitors made. Whole band did it. We all hated it...after about a month, we threw em in the pond out back!

Aaargh...didn't I read last week where you threw an amp in that pond too? It's a beautiful pond and a beautiful setting...

deliveryService

What?

Reaction score
Just get a Hiwatt DR103 or a Marshall Major and bury the whole band. The other guitar player won't have a choice but to cooperate.

By the way, I think this sounds pretty dang good, especially for the price point of the Origin. If I had heard this when the things came out, I likely would have bought one.

trax1139

Reaction score
Aaargh...didn't I read last week where you threw an amp
in that pond too? It's a beautiful pond and a beautiful setting...

deliveryService
It was a Hotplate attenuator!
Lol...don’t blow a fuse, Old Punker! It’s just a figure of speech...just me sayin “This thing sucks!”

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
My attitude is a direct result of your unhelpful posts.

I am the first to admit I do not know everything about Marshall amps even after 40 years of experience. That is why I posted here.

Again, I am not looking for band management advice. If you think you can just tell someone to turn down and everything is solved, you have not played in enough bands.
Sounds like a crappy problem. I have no real band experience. The obvious trend is smaller amps mixed through the PA and quite stages.
It might be the other guitarist feels that he needs volume to get the tone he is after. I wonder if it would help to try recording so you can play it back , that might help him to see he is to loud?

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Mitch just posted a video where he compares an SV20 (which sounds exactly like a plexi) to his Origins. Do they sound alike? Not exactly. Does one sound better than the other? Not really - they both sound pretty darned good. I prefer the SV20 because I have one but I'm biased. But then Mitch's ears haven't been fucked up by playing with overly-loud bandmates and everything he posts sounds great.
I'd have thought that an origin 50 through a 4 x 12 would give you a ton of volume and headroom. You can then add pedals to make it sound how you want. Origin 50 is an awful lot of bang for your rouble.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Mitch just posted a video where he compares an SV20 (which sounds exactly like a plexi) to his Origins. Do they sound alike? Not exactly. Does one sound better than the other? Not really - they both sound pretty darned good. I prefer the SV20 because I have one but I'm biased. But then Mitch's ears haven't been fucked up by playing with overly-loud bandmates and everything he posts sounds great.
I'd have thought that an origin 50 through a 4 x 12 would give you a ton of volume and headroom. You can then add pedals to make it sound how you want. Origin 50 is an awful lot of bang for your rouble.
Yea I think it comes pretty close
Origin sounds nothing like a Plexi, imo
sorry the amp didn’t work for you, but it works for me.
Cheers
Mitch

tkelley

Reaction score

Yes, this is exactly what I was thinking of doing. But not with a 4X12. Either a 1X12, or I have a 2X10 cab from a 1965 Marshall cab. I just dont want to blow that cab up. It has 35 watt speakers, so it should be OK.

trax1139

Reaction score
OK...I just unpacked this Origin 50 and jacked it into a 1960AV 4x12 cab. Fiddled with the knobs for about 30 seconds just to see what they do, and then-Whamo! prolly the best $499.00 I’ve ever spent on my music gear. And I’ve spent a lot, believe me!
Don’t try this thing out on the Medium or Low settings—yuk!
Master dimed, Gain dimed and use guitar volume. Plug it in to a 4x12 cab not a single 12 or it will suck like the rest of em. Just loud boxy and uninspiring. This thing sounds just as good to me as my $2500.00 Germino JTM45 or my original 1959 Fender Bassman.
Only gripe would be I wish it had a standby switch.
I wonder if I could have that stupid High-Medium-Low switch removed (throw it in the pond out back) and lock the circuit on high output then replace it with a standby switch.
The tilt control really works! Way more control than jumping a 4 holer and mixing the volumes.
Definitely worth the $ and I think this thing is a hit. Sounds Old School Marshall. JTM45ish plus a little extra hair (not too much) with the gain boost pedal. BTW the pedal is built like a tank. Craftsmanship all around is top notch. Love it!
The Germino 45 on one 4x12 and the Origin 50 on the other is gonna be massive (not loud) sounding for our Robin Trower tribute gig.BBFE0A6D-8073-447C-88FD-AC2D40A0D699.jpeg 3E69460A-FDF3-4330-9F68-0853DD6783DB.jpeg 10F998EE-FAD3-466C-B4C4-97A390B395D9.jpeg