Originality and the Value of Vintage JMPs

• Thread starter Dean Deese
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Dean Deese

Reaction score
I just bought a 1977 JMP 2203 off Reverb a couple of weeks ago and it arrived DOA. Just had to evacuate do to Helene and went past my 7 day protection window. The seller knows this and told me I was SOL (can’t wait to leave feedback (👺)…
So, I’m dragging it onto the local amp tech to repair. My worst fear is the OT. I paid like $2700 for this head. What would “new” iron do to the value of my boat anchor? Boy, should’ve gotten a Friedman or Suhr, etc.

Thanks everyone, long time researcher, but not many posts as I’ve been out of the game for a long time and want to get back to playing and gigging again. DeanIMG_3685.pngIMG_3681.pngIMG_3682.pngIMG_3683.png

Attachments

• IMG_3678.png
    IMG_3678.png
    825.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3678.png
    IMG_3678.png
    825.3 KB · Views: 2

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It's not an ultra rare ultra collectible amp. A replaced power transformer will barely affect its value. By maybe 100 or 200 bucks, that's all. A replaced output transformer, about the same. Everything else is small parts worth just dollars or cents each.

If either transformer needs to be replaced, stick with a quality replacement like a Heyboer or Hammond, or Pacific or maybe Mercury Magnetics, and make SURE the tech knows to transfer the brace brackets off the old transformer to the new one! And don't drill holes in
the chassis to make it fit! That is never needed, if the replacement transformer is appropriate for the amp.

But I think that the most likely cause of no sound when all the voltages are there and correct is that impedance selector on the rear panel. If it's bad or the plug is missing on the older models that had a removable plug, you get no sound.

Joethebh

Reaction score
I just bought a 1977 JMP 2203 off Reverb a couple of weeks ago and it arrived DOA. Just had to evacuate do to Helene and went past my 7 day protection window. The seller knows this and told me I was SOL (can’t wait to leave feedback (👺)…
So, I’m dragging it onto the local amp tech to repair. My worst fear is the OT. I paid like $2700 for this head. What would “new” iron do to the value of my boat anchor? Boy, should’ve gotten a Friedman or Suhr, etc.

Thanks everyone, long time researcher, but not many posts as I’ve been out of the game for a long time and want to get back to playing and gigging again. DeanView attachment 158925View attachment 158922View attachment 158923View attachment 158924
Did you happen to pay using a credit card? File a claim/dispute with your bank. Unless it ends up being a simple fix and you want to keep the amp…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I’m dragging it onto the local amp tech to repair. My worst fear is the OT. I paid like $2700 for this head. What would “new” iron do to the value of my boat anchor?
Find out what's wrong before you start guessing what the future value might be.
Might just be something simple, and some routine maintenance on an amp that age is probably a good idea anyway.