other people have better tone. That isn't MY tone. I love my tone.

• Thread starter mtm105
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mtm105

Reaction score
I have put all I have into configuring what I have found to be the best tone. (I like Tonebone Hot Brit)

10 boutique amps. They are all top shelf. Maybe not top top top shelf. But they're really good.

Should i worry about what other people think??

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agreed. You should not.

I also love my own tone. I’ve tried showing off my tone to other people, because I’m proud of it, and the only reaction I’ve gotten is crickets. Fuck it. It doesn’t matter what anybody else thinks.

jeffb

Reaction score
My problem is I've had no issue over the years copping a whole lot of other good tones.

Finding my own has been a neverending and frustrating journey.

80sTone

Reaction score
Consider yourself lucky...so many of us keep chasing tone

NumbSkull

Reaction score
Dont worry, but be interested in their opinions.
If you try and see other peoples point of view you usually learn something.
It is often that most people are dumb and pretend to be more expert than they are,
But after that passes there may be some gold in the mud.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
I don't think it's really black and white when it comes to "what people think".
Other people's opinion can help calibrate how we act out in the world, but it should most certainly not dictate how we should live.

cccc

Reaction score
I have put all I have into configuring what I have found to be the best tone. (I like Tonebone Hot Brit)

10 boutique amps. They are all top shelf. Maybe not top top top shelf. But they're really good.

Should i worry about what other people think??
I just checked out pedals that are named "Tonebone Hot Brit " and they sound very good to me . Regarding should you care what others think the answer is definitely not but regarding tone I would listen especially if everybody is saying your tone sucks . If everybody hates your tone chances are that somethings wrong .

It could come down to you personally because I know I'm an absolutely atrocious guitar player but I'm very pleased with my tone , the problem is nobody wants to hear it .

ido1957

Reaction score
This may surprise you but as a guitar player my focus on other players is their playing skill. Their tone is usually complimentary

Dave47857

Reaction score
I have learned a lot trying to get artists tone. I don’t always get their exact amps and pedals but learning how to use them together makes it easier getting the right tone for the cover. I play a lot of metal.

lespaul339

Reaction score
I've never been one to chase other's tone. I will see what my favorite players use gear wise and maybe purchase a pedal here and there because a certain player uses it, but I've always kind of just dialed in my own tone. I like "my tone" and I focus more on learning riffs and solos of my favorite players. Then I move what I've learned up and down the neck in all different positions and figure out how to make what I've learned my own by taking what I like about it but adding my own thing to it. We all borrow here and there. It's what you do with it that makes it your own thing.

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This may surprise you but as a guitar player my focus on other players is their playing skill. Their tone is usually complimentary
George Lynch has said that when he first saw Van Halen, his thought was something along the lines of “how do I get that tone!” I inferred that Lynch was more impressed with the tone than the playing, which I find interesting. Obviously Van Halen was the whole package - chops and tone.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
George Lynch has said that when he first saw Van Halen, his thought was something along the lines of “how do I get that tone!” I inferred that Lynch was more impressed with the tone than the playing, which I find interesting. Obviously Van Halen was the whole package - chops and tone.
As awesome as EVH's tone is, I like George Lynch's tone even better. IMHO Mr. Lynch is the entire package as well.

dslman

Reaction score
As awesome as EVH's tone is, I like George Lynch's tone even better. IMHO Mr. Lynch is the entire package as well.
Sometimes I find my tone, then I lose it again, oh…there it is, ..oops where did it go??? Come back here!!!
I saw George L. play at a small club years ago, after the show out back he was hand loading some pedals , and stuff into a mini van. There was a long line of people on the side of the bld. beside him, waiting for who knows what. I just walked past the drummer, said hi to him and walked up to George and gave him a big hug.
He was very cool, didn’t punch me or anything.
I told him that he and Yngwie were two of my biggest influences. He seemed to appreciate the comment, but said our styles are quite different.
I always loved his tone.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I have always been a big George Lynch fan, especially his work with Dokken. He has a very awesome unique style and an awesome distinctive tone. He is definitely one of my all time favorites. That's cool you got to meet him in person. He seems like a really cool dude.

Latest posts