OTP : Giant Crate amp

• Thread starter Totengott666
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Totengott666

Reaction score
Does anyone remember a video from, I think it was NAMM, in like 05-06, of these guys presenting this enormous Crate amplifier? It was like a 1000w tube head that had like 32 tubes in it, it was like the size of a mini fridge and they had it paired with this massive ass cabinet that was like 16x12. This thing was an absolute monstrosity and abomination and quite possibly one of the most ridiculous things ive ever seen, I've searched all the usual places for the video but haven't been able to find it. I know I'm not crazy and the video exists because on another board there is a thread of a guy saying he actually contacted Crate because he wanted them to build him one, and they told him basically we couldn't build another one even if we wanted to. So, anyone else seen the video of this nightmarish Crate?

PelliX

Reaction score
You mean this don't you?

A1KekAECYAAFpKw.jpg

Totengott666

Reaction score
Aw shit!! Thats it! in the video they only had one cab, but man that pic with 2 is just insane! lol I really wonder what they were thinking?? And from a company with a total rep for bad amps like crate!

Totengott666

Reaction score
I played nothing but Crate amps for 20+ years. IMHO they made some great amps. This thing is just crazy, over the top cool! :cool:
Yeah they had some good ones, I even had one called a ''retroflex'' that I thought sounded pretty good, I think all those wasp sounding oversized combos with the crazy panel paint jobs they cranked out in the late 90s-early 00 gave them the bad press.

Frodebro

Reaction score
Aw shit!! Thats it! in the video they only had one cab, but man that pic with 2 is just insane! lol I really wonder what they were thinking?? And from a company with a total rep for bad amps like crate!

A lot of companies do crazy one-offs for the trade shows. The whole purpose is to draw people to their booths.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a crazy rig! Wonder if it works?!:hmm:

Years ago Musician's Friend had a blow out on Crate oversized 112 cabs $100 a pop. They had Celestion G12 K-100's in them. I bought 2 of them. I still have and use them to roll speakers or just use them whenever I'm not playing thru my 412's.

khan

Reaction score
I've got one of the Crate Vintage Club 50's. It was one of their better amps. I used it when practicing with the band. 2x12, 50 watts. And it had a really good tone to it. I would sometimes use it over my 4010 (w 2x12 cab) for shows. It's just a friggin' heavy as anything else. The designer, Ahmed Khan lives in StL and supposedly has some mods for it to really get it going. At 62 my use for it will be limited but, I'll hang onto it for a while yet. I could cash in on my 4010 and this would still be a respectable sounding amp to play through. They're pretty hard to find at this point. There's the 2x12 as well as a 3x10 and 1x15 version too. While no Marshall, they do stand up on their own.Crate VC 50.jpg

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I typically hate CRATE amps......

BUT....

I recently aquired "GAS PROBLEM" a Creat Blue Voodoo head.

$300. for 100 watts.

Nice condition.

This head actually has some really good tone and plenty of big power sound.

So, the moral of the story,
I guess Crate can make a good amp, just have to find it......

PelliX

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what's that guitar the dude is holding/playing? Almost looks like a PRS, but the headstock seems wrong?

Totengott666

Reaction score
I don't want to hijack the thread, but what's that guitar the dude is holding/playing? Almost looks like a PRS, but the headstock seems wrong?

It does look like a PRS, but difficult to tell with the headstock at that angle, also, the look on his face is like ''What am I doing with my life?''

Sunflake

Reaction score
Yeah they had some good ones, I even had one called a ''retroflex'' that I thought sounded pretty good, I think all those wasp sounding oversized combos with the crazy panel paint jobs they cranked out in the late 90s-early 00 gave them the bad press.
Like this one?
5A72A105-C355-409E-ADA6-10B4CCE7AEBE.jpeg813192FA-20C2-4FF5-95B7-9BE2DE36AAEC.jpeg