Overwhelmed!!

• Thread starter Emraj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Emraj

Reaction score
So I've been playing guitar for 2 years, and currently I've got a Peavy Valveking 112 tube amp that I've been playing through. It's got a great clean sound, but the distortion is just awful, and I want to upgrade to something a lot better. I've recently found myself in a great job that's going to allow me to spend pretty much whatever money I want on a new amp, but there are so many amps out there, and it's pretty overwhelming for me, as I'm not familiar with any of the terminology really. I would like to buy a Marshall amp (I've always love "that" Marshall sound, and it's something I've wanted for a while now) that is loud enough for small gigging, and able to allow me to record at home. My biggest question is, how do I go about the process of looking for that caliber of amp? I had thought about looking on craigslist and just shopping around... playing as many different models as I could until I find one that really just blows my mind. The type of music I play mainly is blues. My favorite artists are Joe Bonamassa, Gary Moore, Slash (don't hate, please), Mark Knopfler, etc. I'd ideally want an amp that's capable of some soft sound with a tiny bite of distortion, but still able to be cranked up for some screaming lead parts (of course... that's what everyone else wants).

I'm going to link a few videos of sounds that I really love. I'm not sure if there is an amp out there that's capable of producing all these sounds. Like I said, I'm not extremely knowledgeable on this subject, and I was hoping some of you experts could point me in the right direction or give me some advice.

This is more of a slower bluesy rock and roll sort of sound that I just absolutely love (in the beginning, before the Godfather part):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyTCkCsHXPk]YouTube - ‪Slash - Godfather Theme guitar Solo (Live Paradiso, Amsterdam 31-05-2010) HD‬‏[/ame]

This is more of a high treble slicing sound that I think sounds pretty amazing (he starts playing around the 50 second mark):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9XVVZPefbR4]YouTube - ‪Mark Knopfler - Brothers in Arms‬‏[/ame]

This is the most amazing hard rock sound I think I've ever heard. It just blows my mind (around the 1:30 mark):
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl_-IKgEOqQ]YouTube - ‪Joe Bonamassa The River Live 2006‬‏[/ame]

I've never been a massive Buckethead fan, but the tone he has in this song is pretty great in my opinion:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYPThvomkx8]YouTube - ‪Buckethead - The Siphoning Sequence (Captain Eo's Voyage)‬‏[/ame]

Those are a few of the sounds that I'm going after. If you guys have some ideas of places where I could start, that'd be awesome. I don't need anything more than a half stack. I don't currently gig, and I certainly won't be doing anything large for a long time (if ever :p). I'm mainly looking for a bedroom capable recording amp with more of a focus on tone than features. That being said, something that has the capability of plugging directly into a computer (I think it's called an XLR output) would be a huge deal for me too. Thanks for any help you guys can provide!

Emraj

FelixRiley

Reaction score
I was in a similar situation a few months ago and i did what you suggested doing. By similar i mean the exact same i have a ValveKing half stack and i got the means to buy what i wanted. The ValveKing dirt channels suck something serious, its quite pitiful after you hear a cranked Marshall, but i digress After all my research i was torn between an Orange Rockerverb, JVM410, and a Cornford and i went with the JVM (obviously since im on this forum) and im more than happy. i will say if you get the stack go for the vintage cab the 1960 lead is a bit less warm. But the best way is to identify the sound you want (which you've done) A good starting point would be checking out the gear your heroes use. Whether it be Craigslist or GC etc. just get out there and play it before you buy it if you can. Just out of curiosity what guitars are you using?

hope some of that rambling helped

JayCM800

Reaction score
Yeah, i guess a JVM250H and a 1960AX can be good for you! Try to check those out before you buy! Good luck!

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Based on the players you listed as a benchmark tone for yourself, I'd suggest looking into the Vintage Modern. Whether it's a 2x12 combo, or a head+cab, that's up to you ... but I can't imagine you'd be anything other than thrilled w/the rig ... it has "that" Marshall sound ;)

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
. I'd ideally want an amp that's capable of some soft sound with a tiny bite of distortion, but still able to be cranked up for some screaming lead parts (of course... that's what everyone else wants).

for that type of tone, I don't know what could possibably be better than a JCM 800. 2203 or 2204 does exactly that,....plus alot more

bluesymetal

Reaction score
There are so many options for what you described dude, if money isn't an issue for you look into the bogner xtc and shiva, both are top of the line amps and will do what you want in spades. A cheaper option and if you wanna stay with Marshall would be the vintage modern or dsl. JCM 800 is a benchmark but wont have modern features of the other amps listed, effects loop, multiple channel, reverb etc.. If you wanna stay really cheap the peavey classic 50 is an awesome amp for blues and hardrock as well.

Ken

Reaction score
People who want the "Marshall sound" can't go too far wrong with a DSL or any JCM 800 half stack. Don't get a combo. I would buy used first time out.

This is not to ignore the many other great Marshall amp models out there! But these two are the bread and butter Marshall tone and after a year you might decide to try something else; both are easy to resell.

1960 bottoms are cheap and will last a lifetime, and cost less than $400. DSL's are the bargain of all professional amps as they routinely sell for $500 (yes, people ask for more). 800 prices are coming down and I see them now starting at $800.

Your idea to play lots of amps is a good one! If you find a 6100, JVM, etc. and get blown away, by all means buy it! All Marshalls are good; some are better than others mostly in taste of tone and flexibility.

Ken

plexilespaul

Reaction score
go for a jvm...20/40 watts get a nice marshall cruch plus versatilty for decent price.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
There are so many options for what you described dude, if money isn't an issue for you look into the bogner xtc and shiva, .....

I have played thru many a bogner,....and although they are pretty nice, i wouldn't trade my 2203 for 3 of em.

...unless, of course, to make money,....then buy another 2203

poeman33

Reaction score
A modern Marshall should get you what you want. Try out all the tube models a store has for an idea. You can still pickup a used one, once you find out what model suits you best. Try them at different volumes if possible. A JCM800 will sound fantastic when it's cranked, but completely different at bedroom volumes for example.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about the direct line out, unless you are going to have to be recording silently. I haven't heard of anyone preferring that method to record. Much better to get yourself an SM-57, or whatever mike you like, and a little recording preamp and record it properly.

Adwex

Reaction score
Like others have said....

DSL 50 or 100
or
JCM 800 2203 or 2204

1960A 4x12 cab

You'll get the Marshall sound you're looking for.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
What people are saying is "buy the amp i use".

play some amps man and go from there but, ANY Marshall can do what you're looking for if it's an 800 series or newer. Personaly i'd get something with a warranty and not off CL since you're new to this stuff and people are SHADY as HELL on CL (and everywhere else)

I'd suggest a JCM900 MKIII for what you're into. They're cheap, they sound AMAZING and are built like tanks. They DON'T make those anymore but, that's the amp i'd go with IF YOU GO USED.

Otherwise a Haze (with a WARRANTY) or JVM205 will do all you want and more.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
How loud can you get at home with your recording setup? A 2203 or 2204 is going to be loud as hell. The Vintage Modern or DSL might be a better option if volume is going to be an issue.

WinterOrb

Reaction score
I bought myself a used JCM2000 DSL 50 a while ago, I got it off kijiji (like craigslist).

Does everything I need in a Marshall. Since I've bought it I can now fix reverb tanks and can bias the thing. lol.

I really like my JCM2000, but I've never played any other Marshall. I just "popped my cherry" so to speak. Had the price not been so good I probably would have passed on it. I don't know why I got it so cheap, new it retailed for $1300+ I got it for what would be a steal if they go for as little as $500.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
What people are saying is "buy the amp i use".

wrong,....what I'm saying is, according to the sound your described your looking for, this [2203/4] is the amp i would recommend. It just so happens that I have one,.....well, not 'just so happens' I got it because it is my fav head and has outdone every other head I've ever had [tons] for that tone.

I also have a shit load of other heads that I didn't recommend because he specified a tone he was looking for. That tone described the 2203/4. I've tried a ton of other heads for that tone, and thats the one that does it best in my book,....that why I both bought one, and recommended one.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
Yeah I've never owned a bogner, though played them extensively, also owned 2 dsls in the past. I only recommended those amps because I think they will do what the op wants and more. Problem is there are ton of amps that can what he's looking for.

Emraj

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the response! This has been super helpful so far, and has given me some ideas on where to start looking. Sorry for not originally posting this, but I currently use a Gibson Les Paul Studio (which I love!). Ideally, I'd like to record silently, but micing is an option. I'm sure if I spent some money on a decent microphone I could get some good quality going. I've looked on CL and found a few deals that look pretty good, and would at least give me the chance to go check out what some amps sound like, even if I don't end up buying them (which I'm a little bit nervous about). Additionally, I'm looking mainly for tone, and not extra effects and such. Not sure if I said that in the original post or not. I'm not a huge effects junkie, and mainly only use reverb and delay, which can easily be gotten through pedals. Again, thanks for all the help you guys have provided! This will certainly get me on my way!

Emraj

Latest posts