Overwhelmed!!

• Thread starter Emraj
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bluesymetal

Reaction score
Just make sure you get something with an effects loop if your are using reverb and delay as time based effects typically do not sound as good in front of a amp and should be in the loop.

yladrd61

Reaction score
I say play through every amp in the store, and if none of them give you the sound you like go to another store, don't be in a hurry. And be sure to play all the used amps also as there are still some Gems to be had. PS: Beware of anything on CL or ebay if you do buy on off there { especially a vintage one } be sure to have a tech check it out before you plug it in my friend bought a '65 Blackface Bassman and one of the screen resistors was arcing { 400+ VDC to the -40-50 VDC of the the bias circuit and the death Capacitor was arcing to the chassis, Yikes !!!

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
when going secondhand JVM, take the 4-channel... the additional clean channel on these things only are worth the extra cash vs the 2-channel
the clean and crunch channel in these things have everything covered, that you've put out in those youtube links... while OD1/2 orange has enough gain on tap to provide screaming leads ala gary moore, without the use of ANY stompbox OD... OD1 for more classic marshall tone, OD2 for a bit more modern sound, but nevertheless a great channel for leads on the neck-pickup

if you're about to train yourself more in using the guitar's volumeknob, like experienced players do, i'd suggest the VM, but be aware that this is a single channel amp, like the 2203/2204's

the DSL is a good option as well, but i hate it's shared EQ, and the fact you can footswitch between each channel's modes when it's in stock form... the green channel has fantastic cleans and an awesome crunch, but the volumedifferences between them are severe... fortunatly it is easy to cope with that, by a drop in mod, that was posted here a couple of years ago... this would be the most economical option

ironlung40

Reaction score
just for clarification the the jcm 800 2203 reissue has an effects loop. He doesn't have to buy an old one as the reissues are plentiful too.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
. I'd ideally want an amp that's capable of some soft sound with a tiny bite of distortion, but still able to be cranked up for some screaming lead parts (of course... that's what everyone else wants).

for that type of tone, I don't know what could possibably be better than a JCM 800. 2203 or 2204 does exactly that,....plus alot more

that & a boss sd-1. the 2203 might be a bit much for the house but sooner or later... when ya got a 1/2 stack a band & gigs ain't far behind.:headbanger:

boola

Reaction score
Do yourself a favour and skip the rest. Go straight for the JTM45 and your tonequest will be over.

Emraj

Reaction score
So I just saw this guy is selling a bunch of gear on CL. One of them is a JVM410H for $1,100. That sounds like a killer deal (assuming it works, not broken, etc.). I'm thinking I'll drive up there tonight and check it out.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
So I just saw this guy is selling a bunch of gear on CL. One of them is a JVM410H for $1,100. That sounds like a killer deal (assuming it works, not broken, etc.). I'm thinking I'll drive up there tonight and check it out.

go through all the channels and modes, test every switch on that thing...
it's wise to do some homework too and take a look at the online manual, watch some democlips on youtube etc... the clips are not a good representation of the sounds, but they give you an idea what the possibility's are with this thing

when you're about to test it for tones, be warned that the OD1/2 channel on orange and red modes have A LOT of gain, and they can be pretty noisy in terms of hiss and squeals... the clean and crunch channel are more in your territory, while OD1 orange will be a good sound for gary moore leads... keep the gain LOW on these channels... it doesn't make much sence to go past noon on them, i'm running mine at 3 or 4

Emraj

Reaction score
go through all the channels and modes, test every switch on that thing...
it's wise to do some homework too and take a look at the online manual, watch some democlips on youtube etc... the clips are not a good representation of the sounds, but they give you an idea what the possibility's are with this thing

when you're about to test it for tones, be warned that the OD1/2 channel on orange and red modes have A LOT of gain, and they can be pretty noisy in terms of hiss and squeals... the clean and crunch channel are more in your territory, while OD1 orange will be a good sound for gary moore leads... keep the gain LOW on these channels... it doesn't make much sence to go past noon on them, i'm running mine at 3 or 4

Thanks for the advice. Supposedly he won a sweepstakes and needs some money now. He said everything he's selling is mint, and some are still in boxes. But a price that low warrants suspicion no matter what the situation. I'll try and check out how the amp sounds on youtube and such before I check it out. Thanks!

Emraj

Rockerduck

Reaction score
Utilizing my over 40 yrs of gigging and recording experience, I can tell you the tone is mostly in the hands. I can get most any quality tube amp that can break up alittle, then add a dirt box that your ears like and sound the same. I have recorded with Fender, Marshall, Ampeg, and Mesa amps. All the recordings sound like me.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Our tastes are pretty alike... Buy a used DSL and ship it to Joey. Period. I've been through a PWE Event Horizon, a TDS Fuchs, a Carol Ann Tucana (good amp), an Orange Rocker 30 (good tone but clean channel strangely underpowered), Boogie Electradyne (ok but a bit uninspiring IMO), a Soldano 44, and a Marshall JMP (great tone but too much to tame in clubs) and JVM410 (great setup, some good tones but found the OD channels too gainy/noisy and the other two channels didn't have enough gain and sustain) in the past two years and I'm still amazed at how frikking inspiring this DSL is. If I had some spare coin, I'd probably check out a Friedman, a CAE and the new Boogie Royal Atlantic but this DSL will never go anywhere. IMO, the Shiva is a boat anchor--the cleans are pretty damn good but the gain channel...meh.

All the above amps I've owned and gigged with--any questions let me know, I'd be happy to give you whatever help I can.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
wrong,....what I'm saying is, according to the sound your described your looking for, this [2203/4] is the amp i would recommend. It just so happens that I have one,.....well, not 'just so happens' I got it because it is my fav head and has outdone every other head I've ever had [tons] for that tone.

I also have a shit load of other heads that I didn't recommend because he specified a tone he was looking for. That tone described the 2203/4. I've tried a ton of other heads for that tone, and thats the one that does it best in my book,....that why I both bought one, and recommended one.
okay read my statement homie....

do you not own that amp?
Did you NOT suggest him buying that amp?

then you did do exactly what i said,lol.

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it but, you did tell him to "buy the amp you use".

I don't dissagree with your reasoning at all.

he can get the tones he wants from pretty much any Marshall 800 series and up though imo though.

FYI, neither one of these posts are meant to be attacks in any way man.

Wycked Lester

Reaction score
right on, im just sayin' that I didn't suggest it cuz i have one, i suggested it cuz it think its best,...which is why i bought one [actually another one, have had a few off an on, finally got my head out my ass and realized it don't get no better than that]

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the response! This has been super helpful so far, and has given me some ideas on where to start looking. Sorry for not originally posting this, but I currently use a Gibson Les Paul Studio (which I love!). Ideally, I'd like to record silently, but micing is an option. I'm sure if I spent some money on a decent microphone I could get some good quality going. I've looked on CL and found a few deals that look pretty good, and would at least give me the chance to go check out what some amps sound like, even if I don't end up buying them (which I'm a little bit nervous about). Additionally, I'm looking mainly for tone, and not extra effects and such. Not sure if I said that in the original post or not. I'm not a huge effects junkie, and mainly only use reverb and delay, which can easily be gotten through pedals. Again, thanks for all the help you guys have provided! This will certainly get me on my way!

Emraj
Gibson Lp + Marshall = Magical. Try a class 5 head thru a good 2x12 and twist the wick to 11, you might fall in love... I like the small dsl combos for ease of carrying, low volume levels as well.But, the red OD setting is so much louder than the clean setting so the DSL's are a pain in that regard.

Fe911

Reaction score
I'm not going to be much help when it comes to recording capabilities other than put a mic in front of it. But to find the tones you want from an amp. It's a great road to travel. I've built quite a few amps in the past. Mostly fenders, lots of Marshalls and boutique stuff. Think of it as a marathon, not a sprint. Play through anything and everything you get a chance too. If you see an old Vox or Fender, plug in. And if you have extra cash around, buy a few.
When a guitarist asks me what kind of amp gets this tone, or that. I usually tell them to get a modeling pedal with lots of amp/cab options. They're pretty cheap. Compared to the real thing. And nowadays they can sound pretty amazing. If you have all those options, you start gravitating to one or another that inspires you to play. After that, the hunt starts....
After having a lot of amps and guitars, Ive learned to buy used, and be ready to unload. I don't try to force myself to like something anymore. Buying new has a habit of doing that. Then I would end up not playing much.
Gear acquisition is an education. The more you have done, the more you will know how to get the best out of a piece of equipment. Kind of like figuring out how to play a telecaster vs. a stratocaster vs. a les Paul. They all have so much to give, if you have the patience to learn.
My (this is a marshall forum!)vote goes with a 2204 or 2203. Don't discount the 1987 or 1959. Disclaimer: I own them both. They sound so good, I could spend a whole night playing the first three chords to highway to hell and never get bored!

Ken

Reaction score
. Kind of like figuring out how to play a telecaster vs. a stratocaster vs. a les Paul. They all have so much to give, if you have the patience to learn.
!

This is true. Any piece of musical equipment can do something amazing in the right context, especially a Marshall amp, if one focuses on what's good about the particular model as opposed to trying to sound like Slash with every amp one plays.

Ken

shades of blue

Reaction score
I couldn't be more pleased with my DSL100H. It's got all the Marshall tone and power I could ask for, and it is a tone monster. Got mine for $750 new.

Reaction score
JVM 410 brother! 4 independent channels, 3 modes per channel. ALL sound amazing. You'll find ever sound your heart could ever desire. Want an old Clapton Bluesbreaker sound? It's there. Want Skynyrd? There. Hendrix, Zeppelin, AC/DC? It's there. Want scooped mids like Metallica, Pantera? It's there. Want ballsy mid punch like GnR? It's there. It's all there. The only thing to decide on is if you want a 212 combo (JVM410C) or a half or full stack with the JVM 410H head. I guarantee that amp won't disappoint you.

Latest posts