paint problem

• Thread starter carlocki
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

carlocki

Reaction score
No, the rubber has had a chemical reaction with the lacquer. It goes all the way through the lacquer, there is no removing it without a refinish. Sorry man.
It sucks, trust me I know. I had a stand F**k up the finish on a white Gibson doubleneck I used to own.

i am asking to a friend about paintings restoration...

anitoli

Reaction score
No, the rubber has had a chemical reaction with the lacquer. It goes all the way through the lacquer, there is no removing it without a refinish. Sorry man.
It sucks, trust me I know. I had a stand F**k up the finish on a white Gibson doubleneck I used to own.

Nitro is porus it allows lots of stuff to pass. My EDS1275 still smells like smoke! (both kinds).

TKOjams

Reaction score
Nitro is porus it allows lots of stuff to pass. My EDS1275 still smells like smoke! (both kinds).

Yes this is true, but I fail make a correlation between you guitar smelling like smoke, and the OP's finish problem.:hmm: Help me out here, what are you onto?

Reckless_Life

Reaction score
I got a guitar wall mount by König & Meyer.
Anyone know if these are ok with nitro finishes??

Maklaca

Reaction score
Wow, after reading this, I went home and checked my guitars. My LP custom has been hanging up and it looks like the binding has some darkening where the hangers rub. Thankfully the paint is black or I would suspect that the paint would have and issue as well.:(
I have noticed lately that the binding was getting dark there, but never put it together with the hanger. That sucks!!!
Maybe I'll try the surgical tubing trick. That looks like it would work.
I sure do learn a lot from this forum though.

anitoli

Reaction score
Yes this is true, but I fail make a correlation between you guitar smelling like smoke, and the OP's finish problem.:hmm: Help me out here, what are you onto?

The OP stated the finish was lacquer which is porus and supposedly allows the instrument to "breathe". Gibson has used this argument for years to claim why their guitars sounded better. Not only will it absorb odors it will allow lots of thing to pass. Look at the spot on used gibbos where your arm rests across the top of the body. Skin chemicals,acids, sweat, can quickly make a disfigured area on the finish and theres really nothing you can do about it.

The OP's discoloration started from the bad rubber on the surface of the lacquer ( which had a chemical reaction to the lacquer ) and then went through it. It will absorb stains as well as odors. Any guitar that "yellows" with age is lacquered. Remember lacquer is made from cotton dissolved in nitric and sulfuric acids then liquified with fast drying solvents. Your ax is basically covered in chemically recomposed organic matter and it is quite delicate, and WILL negatively react to different chemicals or substances.

If you dont want the dissapointment of finish problems such as the kind that occur with lacquer (checking, discoloration, ect) i would strongly reccomend guitars finished in polyester.

IbanezMark

Reaction score
TKO Jams knows his stuff when it comes to finishing. I think he was just prodding a bit :lol:

TKOjams

Reaction score
The OP stated the finish was lacquer which is porus and supposedly allows the instrument to "breathe". Gibson has used this argument for years to claim why their guitars sounded better. Not only will it absorb odors it will allow lots of thing to pass. Look at the spot on used gibbos where your arm rests across the top of the body. Skin chemicals,acids, sweat, can quickly make a disfigured area on the finish and theres really nothing you can do about it.

The OP's discoloration started from the bad rubber on the surface of the lacquer ( which had a chemical reaction to the lacquer ) and then went through it. It will absorb stains as well as odors. Any guitar that "yellows" with age is lacquered. Remember lacquer is made from cotton dissolved in nitric and sulfuric acids then liquified with fast drying solvents. Your ax is basically covered in chemically recomposed organic matter and it is quite delicate, and WILL negatively react to different chemicals or substances.

If you dont want the dissapointment of finish problems such as the kind that occur with lacquer (checking, discoloration, ect) i would strongly reccomend guitars finished in polyester.

You can have all the plastic coated guitars you want:thumb:

As for me, I'll finish mine in nitrocellulose lacquer, and I like checking as long as it's natural.

Wiseblood

Reaction score
Do we even know it's a Nitro finish? Jackson's generally use Poly finishes unless it's a custom shop or an older vintage model.

Make sure you know the finish first before you a apply a solution.

TKOjams

Reaction score
I'm a frequent lurker at luthiers corner :cool:

I fugured as much:thumb:
Next time you're lurkin' say hello.:wave:

We'll talk Idanez

tkojams-albums-my-guitars-picture42438-rg-built-parts.jpg

anitoli

Reaction score
You can have all the plastic coated guitars you want:thumb:

As for me, I'll finish mine in nitrocellulose lacquer, and I like checking as long as it's natural.

Well dude YOU did ask a question, no?
So let me ask you one then, why would a nitro finished guitar retain residual smoke odor while a poly finished guitar used in the same enviroment for an equal ammount of time not have a residual smoke odor?

TKOjams

Reaction score
Well dude YOU did ask a question, no?
So let me ask you one then, why would a nitro finished guitar retain residual smoke odor while a poly finished guitar used in the same enviroment for an equal ammount of time not have a residual smoke odor?

You already know the reason why, and it has nothing to do with the reason the OP's guitar is having a reaction with hanger he's using. That's the reason I asked you why you brought it up.