Parker Flys?

• Thread starter wkcchampion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Hey Marco (Pregno),

I saw Eldy on your site just recently as I read your set up guide - good effort by the way. My trem was not set up, so I followed Parker and your instructions from the Parker forum and it is lovely now.

My name is Marco, Pregno is the nickname derived from the contraction of my surname, call me Marco please :lol:
Eldy is in great shape! She's lovely. Thanks, I'm happy to hear that the guides do something. Both my guitars are always in tune, I check the tuning like once a month and I do wank the trem bar! Rock solid.

As you say 2nd hand prices are very good for buyers and I love a quick slippery neck!
I paid Eldy 900 euros. Yup a steal!!! Yup of course the Fly's neck is very fast and comfortable.

How long did it take to get the guitar shipped to the US and back?
Quite long. In total, the guitar stayed away one month, but it left before xmas, so the holidays may have enlonged its travel. But it was worthy, as the guys at C. Service did an excellent job and as ryan said: "your guitar now plays like a dream". :rock:

See you in a few weeks Guys - DrD - I want to see your one off guitar photos when I get back to the PC mate!:fingersx:
Me too!

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
I put a couple of pics of mine on my profile album that I think can be viewed by anyone, kind of new to the profile thing so hopefully I did it right.
Talk to you when you get back j2112c.
Wckchampion, the hexagon structure thing you are talking about is where the paint 'shrank' and exposed the thin carbon layer under the paint. This was not an intended or desired thing, but it happened a lot while I was there. The guitar finish would shrink for a week or so after it was painted, some extremely so and some not so bad. Mine has a little bit of the carbon texture showing through.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
I put a couple of pics of mine on my profile album that I think can be viewed by anyone, kind of new to the profile thing so hopefully I did it right.
Talk to you when you get back j2112c.
Wckchampion, the hexagon structure thing you are talking about is where the paint 'shrank' and exposed the thin carbon layer under the paint. This was not an intended or desired thing, but it happened a lot while I was there. The guitar finish would shrink for a week or so after it was painted, some extremely so and some not so bad. Mine has a little bit of the carbon texture showing through.
Oh nicep ics, even if I'm not a fan of natural finish guitars.
Oh really? Well it's good lookign so I don't care

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
Thanks, she's not much to look at, and I am not the best photographer. Ken Parkers tech assistant helped me drill the holes for the dot inlays, I could never keep track of what fret I was on without them!

I don't think the carbon fiber showing detracts at all, gives it kind of a space age look.

j2112c

Reaction score
I am back.

DrD:
What a lovely patterning in the wood running right around the body! Oooh and fret markers too - they are lovely, a steady hand required! Measure twice - Drill ONCE!
I like it very much!

tresmarshallz

Reaction score
J2212c, your back! I had Ken Parker's right hand man bolt the guitar into a jig/clamp and measure everything precisely before drilling so I was not worried. They turned out really nice.
I regret to say that I have arranged a deal and sold my FLY to a guy off the Parker forum! If the sale goes through I will be without my beloved FLY. I must honestly say I prefer the traditional sound/feel of my PRS McCarty, but the FLy guitar is the crazy amazing in it's own right. The FLY is capable of the most clear/pristine/ clean tones and very rightous distorted tones as well.
Anyway, sorry if I let a brutha down by selling it :) but I would be glad to still chat with you about anything you were curious about that I may know from the early production years that I worked at Parker.

Drew

jcmjmp

Reaction score
The Parker guitars are unique in the way they are manufactured. There's nothing else like them really. Stainless Steel frets, the bridge, the carbon/glass fretboard, reinforced neck, piezo output, resin (whatever it is) reinforced body and neck, which is extremely stable. For anyone that's owned a guitar for a couple of years, you know how you'll eventually need fret dresses, re-frets and how some neck develop humps at the body join.

Have a look at the Parker website - They are truly a work of art and definitely have their place in any serious guitarist's arsenal of guitars.

I just bought a Parker Nitefly and I'm eagerly awaiting for it to arrive. Its a Niftely V3 with 3 single coils. I'd love to get a Southern Fly as well. Man, are they nice guitars or what? The Mojo seems real nice.

In terms of buying a new guitar, I'd get a Parker before a lot of the other brands out there. Even though they'e been bought out, the production has remained the same for these guitars. Definitely a top notch guitar.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Adam out of KSE uses Parkers because of his back. Hes had a few operations after throwing his back out and about like a I dunno.... A sore back whore lol. And there considerably lighter compared to the Caparisons he used to use. I read that in an old Guitar World magazine.

Vernon reid (Living Colour), one of my faves, uses Parkers. He sounds great with them. Love the KSE tone that Adam gets too.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Nitefly are quit different from Flys. They have a bolt-on neck, and the vibrato is not a "common" 3-spring bridgeu nit, i.e. it doesn't have the patented flat spring system of Flys.
I had a Nitefly SA years ago, before buying the first Fly, but i can't really say much because mien was probably a lemon as it had a lot of problems.
I suggest signing up in the Parker forum as well! You'll see us there ;) You'll also find my guides for bridge setup. They were written for the Flys, but you can get some advice for your Nitefly as well, plus a big know-how from all the users (just do a search)

j2112c

Reaction score
J2212c, your back! I had Ken Parker's right hand man bolt the guitar into a jig/clamp and measure everything precisely before drilling so I was not worried. They turned out really nice.
I regret to say that I have arranged a deal and sold my FLY to a guy off the Parker forum! If the sale goes through I will be without my beloved FLY. I must honestly say I prefer the traditional sound/feel of my PRS McCarty, but the FLy guitar is the crazy amazing in it's own right. The FLY is capable of the most clear/pristine/ clean tones and very rightous distorted tones as well.
Anyway, sorry if I let a brutha down by selling it :) but I would be glad to still chat with you about anything you were curious about that I may know from the early production years that I worked at Parker.

Drew

Drew:
Aghhh! Drew... Noooo!:eek:
When I get time I will pop over to your profile and post 101 questions... time.. if only I could bottle that!
Ah well, you will come back to the Fly in time!
I would have looked at buying your Fly if you had not found a buyer, I am sure you would have no problem in selling it as it is a one off and very nice looking guitar.:)
There is a very lucky Forum member out there!

jcmjmp:
How are you mate? Welcome, to a VERY small sub community:wave:
Marco's set up guide on the Parker forum works well, in terms of getting tuning stability with the whammy bar. I followed the factory guide as the guitar shop had not set up the trem properly, then did the few extra steps of Marcos.. it is fine now.
I hope you are very happy with your new axe, let us know when it arrives, what your first impressions are and of course: :photos::photos::photos:

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Nitefly are quit different from Flys. They have a bolt-on neck, and the vibrato is not a "common" 3-spring bridgeu nit, i.e. it doesn't have the patented flat spring system of Flys.

That's allright - I was looking for a Strat and ended up with a NiteFly. What I like about the NiteFly I got is that its very close to a strat, including the Bolt on design and spring loaded trem.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
That's allright - I was looking for a Strat and ended up with a NiteFly. What I like about the NiteFly I got is that its very close to a strat, including the Bolt on design and spring loaded trem.

Yeah, but that vibrato WILL stay in tune with any abuse ;)
Oh well, at least... the Fly's trem does.

As I said, I had a NF but it was probably a lemon. It didn't stay in tune just by looking at it

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yeah, but that vibrato WILL stay in tune with any abuse ;)
Oh well, at least... the Fly's trem does.

As I said, I had a NF but it was probably a lemon. It didn't stay in tune just by looking at it

This one has what appears to be locking sperzel tuners. I'm not too worried about tuning stability with the trem - that's a issue with any non locking trem and there are several things that one can do to remedy that.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
This one has what appears to be locking sperzel tuners. I'm not too worried about tuning stability with the trem - that's a issue with any non locking trem and there are several things that one can do to remedy that.

Yes all USA Parkers come with Sperzels. They're the best machine heads I've ever seen.
Actually, traditional non-locking tremolo, like the Strat, can't hold tune by design. Ken Parker specifically designed the Fly trem to return to perfect pitch, no matter what, and have the semplicity of a fixed bridge (regarding setup and string change).
So enjoy your Nitefly, you'll love it ;)

Also, take a look at my guides. You'll forget what a tuner is :naughty:
Aside, you'll also forget abotu fret wear =D

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Also, take a look at my guides. You'll forget what a tuner is :naughty:
Aside, you'll also forget abotu fret wear =D

That's a huge selling point IMO. More guitar builders should use SS frets. When I'm done with my stash of nickel/silver frets, I'm switching over to stainless steel for my builds.

I also look forward to trying the composite fretboard. I've always loved Ebony board for their slick feel and the Parker fretboard should be real close. I'll post my initial impressions when I get the guitar.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
A sought after product like a USA Strat or Gibson is a better move imo.

You won't see me handing over any money to Gibson for their overpriced guitars with so so quality. Gibson's quality is not what it used to be. Even back in '97 when I almost got a new LP Classic, I just couldn't see myself spending that much money for a guitar with so many flaws. I ended up getting an older LP.

On the other hand, I think that Fender is doing a great job. Truthfully, there aren't many guitars out there that I really lust over. I'd love a Tele some day, maybe another LP but I've been building my own in the past couple of years and if an LP is in my future, it will be something built by me or by Brian Monty Brian Monty - One of the best luthiers in north America today. Met the guy a couple of times, saw his work, he's even helped me bring my '74 LP to its former glory.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
That's a huge selling point IMO. More guitar builders should use SS frets. When I'm done with my stash of nickel/silver frets, I'm switching over to stainless steel for my builds.

I also look forward to trying the composite fretboard. I've always loved Ebony board for their slick feel and the Parker fretboard should be real close. I'll post my initial impressions when I get the guitar.

Many don't use SS frets because bad mouthers say that they make the guitar sound liek shit.
The truth is that if the guitar buzzes anywhere, the buzz is more present with SS frets. But if the guitar is setup good, the problem just doesn't exist --> there shouldn't be any buzz at all.
And the Parker neck, being carbon reinforced, can be set virtually perfectly straight :) Both my Flys are, and one is 15 years old

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Many don't use SS frets because bad mouthers say that they make the guitar sound liek shit.
The truth is that if the guitar buzzes anywhere, the buzz is more present with SS frets. But if the guitar is setup good, the problem just doesn't exist --> there shouldn't be any buzz at all.
And the Parker neck, being carbon reinforced, can be set virtually perfectly straight :) Both my Flys are, and one is 15 years old

SS frets don't make a guitar sound like shit, not do they create buzz. That's total internet BS.

Like you say, a properly setup guitar will not buzz. SS frets require much more precision to install and that's why most mass producers don't use them. It has nothing to do with tone.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
You won't see me handing over any money to Gibson for their overpriced guitars with so so quality. Gibson's quality is not what it used to be. Even back in '97 when I almost got a new LP Classic, I just couldn't see myself spending that much money for a guitar with so many flaws. I ended up getting an older LP.

On the other hand, I think that Fender is doing a great job. Truthfully, there aren't many guitars out there that I really lust over. I'd love a Tele some day, maybe another LP but I've been building my own in the past couple of years and if an LP is in my future, it will be something built by me or by Brian Monty Brian Monty - One of the best luthiers in north America today. Met the guy a couple of times, saw his work, he's even helped me bring my '74 LP to its former glory.

My dad has a Custom sho ptele.
But I just can' udnerstand why they still do Strats without graphite nut, locking tuners and a more stable bridge design. All these upgrades wouldn't affect the sound for prists but offer a much better instrument.

Did u notice that on Parker flys the machine heads are not staggered? Haha! It's because the headstock is built at a perfect angle, and every string coems to the nut with the correct angle, without the need of stupid (and points of friction) string trees