Parker Flys?

• Thread starter wkcchampion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ken

Reaction score
Great thread! I remember when Flys (Flies?) came out and I was curious about them until I saw the price tag; no way I was coughing up whatever it costed at the time. Now my curiosity has returned! My local GC has a used one; maybe I'll check it out Saturday!

ken

jcmjmp

Reaction score
After having played the NiteFly V3 (Single coils) a little more, I have to say that the pickups suck. I'll be getting some Fender SCN pickups in this guitar. The stock pickups just don't translate the nice tone I get acoustically (unplugged) from the guitar. I'm a little dissapointed with the pickups. I'm usually not too picky and can work with different tones but these pickups are thin sounding.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
After having played the NiteFly V3 (Single coils) a little more, I have to say that the pickups suck. I'll be getting some Fender SCN pickups in this guitar. The stock pickups just don't translate the nice tone I get acoustically (unplugged) from the guitar. I'm a little dissapointed with the pickups. I'm usually not too picky and can work with different tones but these pickups are thin sounding.

Yes the DiMarzios on the Niteflys are not that good, but they r easy to change.
Also Ibanezes are known to come with poor stock pickups, the IBZ.

The DiMarzios Gen1 on Flys are great, quite particular though. I can0't say much on Gen2 as I don't have them, but I heard very good recorded tones with them as well.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
Yes the DiMarzios on the Niteflys are not that good, but they r easy to change.
EZ to change; maybe... but that means sinking more money in this guitar.
Also Ibanezes are known to come with poor stock pickups, the IBZ.
The lower end Ibanez may have bad pickups, IDK as I've never owned a lower end Ibanez. I only got the equivalent of what they call Prestige today. I'd expect the Parkers to be at the same level in terms of pickups.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Maybe... but that means sinking more money in this guitar.

Yes ok, but they are not really that bad. Also keep in mind that Parkers sound generally different from any other guitars. Just take your time and learn to like it. Play a bit with your amp or FX controls. I'm sure you'll find a sweet spot, you've got beatiful amplifiers ;) Just begin from scratch, scrap the settings u use with your Strat as this is a different animal. And don't use much gain, Parkers resonate a lot due to carbon-fibre.

j2112c

Reaction score
Great thread! I remember when Flys (Flies?) came out and I was curious about them until I saw the price tag; no way I was coughing up whatever it costed at the time. Now my curiosity has returned! My local GC has a used one; maybe I'll check it out Saturday!

ken

Hey Ken, Wnat model is it that is used in your GC? :)

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Guys... today is a happy day!

ELDY IS BACK!!!!!

Yep my beloved 1995 is back and now FULLY WORKING!
So lovely really.
I'll make BLUES and perhaps EVH clips soon ;) :dude:

j2112c

Reaction score
Guys... today is a happy day!

ELDY IS BACK!!!!!

Yep my beloved 1995 is back and now FULLY WORKING!
So lovely really.
I'll make BLUES and perhaps EVH clips soon ;) :dude:

Great Mate, if you can tear yourself away from E let us know what you think and what has been done!
:):)

wkcchampion

Reaction score
The trem bar stuck in its bushing and was very very hard to rotate.
The bushing collapsed for unknown reason, as the whoel bridge works perfectly.

The italian repairer, Mari Redivivus, did some magic and... now it works perfectly!

Well I had to touch a bit the action (too low) and the truss rod, but really a tiny bit. And that's because I am a perfectionist ;)

Eldy is back and is fine!

j2112c

Reaction score
The trem bar stuck in its bushing and was very very hard to rotate.
The bushing collapsed for unknown reason, as the whoel bridge works perfectly.

The italian repairer, Mari Redivivus, did some magic and... now it works perfectly!

Well I had to touch a bit the action (too low) and the truss rod, but really a tiny bit. And that's because I am a perfectionist ;)

Eldy is back and is fine!

Ah yes, of course, this was the issue that you thought may be temperature related in shipping from the USA....:)

So glad he is back.... feels GoooooD doesn't it!!! That is a PArker for you!

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Yes, very bad luck.
Now she's ok. I tuned Eldy down half step for upcoming EVH and blues clips ;)

wkcchampion

Reaction score
Ok now... I touched the action and teh truss rod a tiny bit and... it's very very good.
The strings are now stretched and broken in, the trem works PERFECTLY. It's very smooth and it keeps tuning with max range dive bombs (my tuner has a sensitivity of 0.5 cent, always green light).

Having an almost handmade Parker Fly in my hands is a real emotion. Italian people know this and our country is dotted with art masterpieces. It's like having, John, Pink Panther, an amp signed by Jim Marshall himself. Same thing!

plankbadger

Reaction score
Well yes, I've got 4 Parkers.
I have a P36, P42, P40, and a Nitefly M.
What I like is the neck, very thin and easy to play and the notes are completely in tune everywhere on the fret board. I don't find this on most other guitars. They are also very flexible, the humbuckers can be coil tapped and most of them have a piezo pickup in the bridge.
What I don't like is that they are all active and there is no way of turning
that off without changing the pickups.
I like active for certain things but sometimes it's a kind of a hindrance to
playing style - it's like having a compressor on all the time.

plankbadger

Reaction score
I may be 'butchering' the electronics in one of my parkers and putting in passive pickups.

Latest posts