Pedal Questions

• Thread starter jmh276
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jmh276

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a Studio Classic - the first amp I've had without built in reverb. I bought a Fender Hammertone reverb pedal and put it in the loop but can't get on with it. It seems to add a trebly/metallic overtone to everything, not matter how I set it up. Also, the effect seems to increase the higher the master volume is - is this standard? I have also put it in front of the amp and it doesnt work so well.
Can anyone reccomend a simple reverb pedal - not after anything complicated, just want to add a bit of depth. For reference my other amp is a DSL40Cr and I am more than happy with the reverb on it ( I know lots of people think its too weak).

The other question is about a compressor pedal. When I have used this effect previously (admittedly on a boss katana) it seems quite subtle and flattens the tone. I came across the video below where a compressor is used with a JCM800 and was blown away - is this typical of a compressor pedal or is it the specific pedal? Start from 13mins 30 seconds

Last thing - just bought an MXR Custom Badass Modified OD - highly recommend! Its the most versatile OD Pedal I have bought (also have SD1, Tubescreamer, EHX Soul Food, EXH Glove, Blackstar Dept 10 Boost)
Cheers

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
It seems to add a trebly/metallic overtone to everything, not matter how I set it up. Also, the effect seems to increase the higher the master volume is - is this standard? I have also put it in front of the amp and it doesnt work so well.

Does it lose the 'trebly/metallic' character when in front of the amp? If so, it's possible the impedance in the loop is not optimal for it. There are ways to work around this, but they entail more gear or adjusting circuits...

As a replacement suggestion, I'd probably say something like a BOSS RV-6, FRV-1... there's cheaper and a lot more expensive. If you're just looking to make the sound a little less dry and not planning on all out surf rock, most reverb pedals should do, honestly.

The other question is about a compressor pedal. When I have used this effect previously (admittedly on a boss katana) it seems quite subtle and flattens the tone. I came across the video below where a compressor is used with a JCM800 and was blown away - is this typical of a compressor pedal or is it the specific pedal? Start from 13mins 30 seconds

The way the amp handles the signal and the amount of signal and headroom in the preamp will make huge differences. Provided your compressor pedal has an overall level adjustment, most should do that, I'd say. Essentially he's using it as a simple boost, really.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Prior to 2015 I played Fender amps with Reverb . 2015 I jumped on the Marshall bandwagon and at first I missed not having reverb , but I got used to it .

jmh276

Reaction score
Ok, thanks. I will check about putting it in front when I’m back home tomorrow as can’t remember about the treble coming through.
Did a bit more research on the Compressor and suspect that like the reverb, the effect will be dependent on the pedal itself - I doubt a £30 Compressor off Amazon will do the same as the one in the video but nowhere seems to sell them in the UK at the moment
Does it lose the 'trebly/metallic' character when in front of the amp? If so, it's possible the impedance in the loop is not optimal for it. There are ways to work around this, but they entail more gear or adjusting circuits...

As a replacement suggestion, I'd probably say something like a BOSS RV-6, FRV-1... there's cheaper and a lot more expensive. If you're just looking to make the sound a little less dry and not planning on all out surf rock, most reverb pedals should do, honestly.

The way the amp handles the signal and the amount of signal and headroom in the preamp will make huge differences. Provided your compressor pedal has an overall level adjustment, most should do that, I'd say. Essentially he's using it as a simple boost, really.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
The reverb I use most at the moment is this one,
sounds good, lots of knobs, lots of options and a good price.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
RV-6 or 7 is a really solid choice. Dunno about compression pedals - not my thing.