Pedals for killer metal leads

• Thread starter DDJ34
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DDJ34

Reaction score
Already happy with rhythm tones but I can't crack the perfect lead tone. A little delay, a boost, but what else do the greats use to launch it over the edge?

hsb

Reaction score
What era of metal, 80s, 90s, 00s?

Can always go with a tried and true TS or SD1 as a boost and a touch of added gain, EQ pedal may also be worth looking into, throw that in the effects loops may be a good choice.

Derek S

Reaction score
Dial in a fat lead tone first (whatever level of saturation & sustain you need to solo with) then roll back the guitars volume a bit for rhythm parts, crank it back up to fly, etc.

DDJ34

Reaction score
I got the screamer and the EQ in front. All eras of metal. I just can't get that crazy scream. Seems to me like a slight bit of compression/sustain or something I might be missing.

Deftone

Reaction score
iu

V-man

Reaction score
You already know the tone tricks for lead, which brings you to two alternatives:

1. Volume rollback (as mentioned above)

2. Volume boost.

Regarding the latter you have an EQ in the FX loop for volume, which sends your lead sailing over the mix.

cccc

Reaction score
TS has always been more than enough for me . Crazy screams are overrated.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
There are endless correct answers and we're always on the hunt for more.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I can't crack the perfect lead tone
KoT is a good one--a 68 Pedals clone is what I have, I've been on the AM's list for years waiting for a real one. Also a Klon/clone of a Klon is another very popular way to go. I also like the TS but they've all been on the shelf for a while--too many flavors, not enough rock time

iron broadsword

Reaction score
You can use a pedal to cut the volume from your guitar just by setting the pedal volume below unity.. if you can dial in a good lead tone with what you have, just stick a tubescreamer or something in front and use it as a rhythm channel to cut volume

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
Already happy with rhythm tones but I can't crack the perfect lead tone. A little delay, a boost, but what else do the greats use to launch it over the edge?
I would say a really good clean boost pedal - or rather, just the right boost pedal for your guitar & amp that you use - is key here. you just need to find the right one that works best with your rig... maybe a TC Electronics Spark, or maybe an Xotic EP Booster... there are tons more to consider.

...OR, maybe a really good EQ pedal is what you really need to have your leads cut through the band mix.

Last edited:

Latest posts