Pedals no longer used...

• Thread starter speyfly
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

speyfly

Reaction score
I thought it might be fun to see the pedals that you no longer use or have very limited use.

Here's mine but I think I'm missing 5 or 6 more, can't find them. These are nice pedals (Marshall BB II has the Alchemist mod) other than the ZOOM (never could find anything useable).

off the board pedals.JPG

Let's see yours!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have a few of my favs (and a few I'd like to try) in your unused pile.
I've sold off most of the pedals I no longer use.
Just kept a few junkers that are hardly worth shipping.

ampeq

Reaction score
You have a few of my favs (and a few I'd like to try) in your unused pile.
I've sold off most of the pedals I no longer use.
Just kept a few junkers that are hardly worth shipping.
Fitz, you guys should start a pedal swapping page here. I’ll bet there are tons of pedals not being used folks could swap for something else to try. I always thought a place like Reverb could get together a ton of pedals and rent them for a week or so to see if you like them or not before you buy one. One of the things I love about my HX Effects is the ability to scroll through about 30 or 40 reverb’s or delays to find the one I want at the moment. It changes almost every time, so to be stuck with just one reverb or whatever you need has always been the reason I didn’t buy pedals. The amount of money spent on dirt pedals alone is crazy, if you look at most big collections of pedals there will be 10+ distortion pedals.

Whizzercone

Reaction score
Down to just a Drop. There are times when I still use my Pog. Those do things that are hard to duplicate for some reason I don't completely understand.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz, you guys should start a pedal swapping page here. I’ll bet there are tons of pedals not being used folks could swap for something else to try. I always thought a place like Reverb could get together a ton of pedals and rent them for a week or so to see if you like them or not before you buy one. One of the things I love about my HX Effects is the ability to scroll through about 30 or 40 reverb’s or delays to find the one I want at the moment. It changes almost every time, so to be stuck with just one reverb or whatever you need has always been the reason I didn’t buy pedals. The amount of money spent on dirt pedals alone is crazy, if you look at most big collections of pedals there will be 10+ distortion pedals.
I've sold a lot of pedals since I got the Zoom G3's.
For about the cost of 1 or 2 pedals, I can change out an entire pedal board set-up by pushing a few buttons and turning a few knobs.
Literally hundreds of pedal options to choose from.

V-man

Reaction score
Difficult question for me since I have 2-3 running PBs, which means that substantially all but 2-3 get occasional use at best. Some may be less than a handful of times annually.

My “nevers” include things that either suck to me or have a superior replacement such that I never actually use them any longer.

IMG_0526.jpeg

The other ones get some use but very limited… usually as a reminder of what that circuit sounds like with the amp. Many of these have a direct replacement (Tim for the Timmy, SD1 for TS Mini) but these may only see 1-2 annual uses, tops on average these days.

IMG_0527.jpeg

I probably should revisit (or replace) the looper, however.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
I sold all the ones that fell off the board.
They were:
BD-2 (got an OD-20 with a perfect sim onboard).
TC Spark (noise box).
NS-2 (defective).

I have an MT-2 that might go too if I spot a used REVV G3 in my LGS anytime soon (again, MT-2 sim on the OD-20).

Previous to them, the only one I had before in the 90's was a DOD FX59 Thrash Master.
Oh boy was it not!

ampeq

Reaction score
I've sold a lot of pedals since I got the Zoom G3's.
For about the cost of 1 or 2 pedals, I can change out an entire pedal board set-up by pushing a few buttons and turning a few knobs.
Literally hundreds of pedal options to choose from.
I hear you, being able to test pedals on the fly is awesome. No moving wires around and you can set them up in any configuration as well as have 2 or 3 come on with just one button. I also like having all the extra stuff like gates, parallel lines tuner, 12 string and acoustic simulators. I do like my own amps and speakers though so I only buy board’s with just effects. (I still have an FX-8 board I would like to sell) The HX Effects works great for me, plus it’s small and easy to operate. Another nice thing is you can run a lot of the effects with a foot pedal, like for a wah. I have a Fractal foot pedal that works very good and built like a tank.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have a Boss compressor I inherited from my brother, never used it, never had a use for it, but held onto it for 30 years in case I ever figured out what it's good for.

Derek S

Reaction score
I've always been a minimalist, don't think I've ever had more than 5 pedals at one time - but I have several that got booted, weird thing is, I couldn't be troubled to sell most of them, they find their way to the closet.

I still have but no longer use:

MiJ Boss BF-2
the Worm Phaser
Boss CS-3
Boss GE-7
OCD

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I have a Boss compressor I inherited from my brother, never used it, never had a use for it, but held onto it for 30 years in case I ever figured out what it's good for.

I never cared much for them, either. The only use I've ever found for one was to smooth out some of the "clunk" in the clean sounds on certain amps.

speyfly

Reaction score

PowerTube44

"The problem for me (and its not really a problem) is that my "no longer used" pedals tend to come back into the rotation sooner or later. Not all, but many."

For the most part my off the board pedals are good to great and no reason to get rid of them. And yes, they do make cameo appearances once in a while.

Since diving in deep to attenuation I've come to realize that I used pedals to get the tone at lower volumes. With the use of attenuators I can get the amp/amps cookin without blowing out my ears and get that special tone. Since getting back into playing I had forgot what a cranked amp can sound like.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
many of you guys are probably like this too but i go through phases. i might want a metal rig this month, a led zep tone machine next month, and by xmas i’ll be aching for some weird piece of gear that brings new sounds to the whole thing.. so because of that i own 6 amps, have 2 pedalboards rigged up, and because i got into building pedals like 15 years ago i also have a giant tote full of pedals i don’t currently use.

i learned a long time ago not to sell my gear though because as my current tastes change i will come back to that tote looking for something and be glad i kept it. or just sift through it and see what i can find

thesunship

Reaction score
I'm starting to go through a less is more phase. I just like the sound of the amp with a little push for solos, a chorus for texture, etc. Nothing fancy. I also don't like to keep coming back to my pedal board during songs. At home sitting down is totally different, of course.

I'll probably end up being that annoying old guy telling everyone to go straight into the amp.