Phase 90 vs. Univibe

• Thread starter FleshOnGear
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Phase 90 or Univibe

• Phase 90

Votes: 7 36.8%
  • Univibe

Votes: 12 63.2%

• Total voters

IOSEPHVS

Reaction score
The Shin-Ei/Univox Uni-Vibe is a 4-stage optical phaser with Chorus (phaser mixed with dry signal) or Vibrato (phaser only) modes. It also contains Volume and Intensity controls, and the speed can be controlled by an external foot controller. Again, the EHX Good Vibes is an excellent interpretation (in my opinion, the best). The (original) Vox ToneLab has a nice digital rendering, but the control options are Speed, Mix, and Depth (Speed can also be controlled with a Vox VC-4 or VC-12 foot controller). What's interesting is that the same person (Fumio Mieda) who designed the original Uni-Vibe also designed Vox's Valve Reactor circuitry (using a 12AX7 in the ToneLab's Class A or Class A/B power amplifier section).

Delete!!

Reaction score
I voted univibe, but have used both over the years in similar applications. I don’t care for the “over the top” swooshy tones. Overall, I much prefer an actual univibe circuit (lamp and photocells). Once you have used one you know what you are missing. The lamp/photocell circuit has this depth and warmth that a phaser just doesn’t have. Once you play a few you discover what sounds and feels right to you. A real vibe has this lopsided or asymmetrical pulse that a phaser can’t really replicate. You really feel it while you are playing. In my opinion a vibe is more organic and interactive, and for that reason I will always choose one over a phaser.

eastwood6

Reaction score
An MXR Phase 45 is a lot closer to a Univibe than the 90 or other phaser. Half the cycle LOL. I have a ‘70s 45 that was my go-to effect for decades. Made anything I played sound better and can throb with the best ‘vibes. Currently am using a Fulltone CS Deja Vibe but some days I think the 45 sounds better for Trower etc.

NMV87

Reaction score
I used to own a Fulltone Univibe a while back and never really bonded with it. Agreed that it just didn't sit well in the mix when I was playing with others. I ended up picking up a well loved MXR phase 90 from 1980 which has the most unique phase sound when set around 10oclock. It is not the same sound but I much prefer it

jmp45

Reaction score
The Fulltone MDV-2 gets my vote, easy to dial it in nicely. Been using for years.

pedalboards_04.jpg

Liking the Warm Jet Phaser, not so much with the real estate it occupies.

Dry Toast

Reaction score
To be honest, I’m compelled not to vote.

A phaser and a ‘vibe are categorically dissimilar, so the choice should be deeply personal. It’s your art, it’s your statement, not that of anyone present.

Generally speaking, I’d recommend owning at least one of each, and on that topic, more likely multiple phasers than multiple ‘vibes, though that wouldn’t be entirely out of the question either.

I think the real value of the community to you in this instance would to address pared down questions to help equip you to make your choice. “Which phaser is richer?” Or thinner, if that’s what you need. “Which ‘vibe is more Jimi-era authentic,” or “Which vibe has more (or less) of the asymmetrical ‘flat tire’ wobble,” and so on.

In the world of phasers, I’m of the opinion that you can’t beat the MXR Custom Shop ‘74 Vintage Phase 90. Sounds every bit as good as a real one, costs a quarter a real vintage one. Thick, rich, doesn’t need anything beyond the speed knob b/c it sounds just so fantastically... “phasery.” Newer block letter units I’ve played with didn’t handle humbuckers well, and mine aren’t even that loud (under 8k Ohm DC resist., c’mon).

As for ‘vibes, I champion the Fulltone Deja’Vibe, specifically, the MDV-3. Though the only difference between it and the one w/o the rocker/treadle is that very feature. If you don’t need to alter the speed while afoot, the regular square unit is tonally identical. Like all things Fulltone, it’s strong as an ox, easy to use, perfectly authentic, and usually has flaws of the original weeded out (noise, too dark, etc.) for good or given some kind of “vintage vs. corrected” switch option so you can even bring back vintage-style warts and all.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have an MXR script logo Phase 90 that hangs around my pedalboard. I've only used digital copies of a Vibe. Either way i tend to go for the watery Dave Murray way of using them no matter which one. I prefer the Phase.

El Gringo

Reaction score
Well I have the Fender Pinwheel Rotating Speaker Simulator Pedal on it's way . I hope it's not a tone sucking pedal .

Silverdome

Reaction score
Interesting read. I bought the Fulltone Vibe and the thing collects dust. I bought it because I love Hendrix so much and never was able to get the right vibe with it. I bet there's something better out there and just based off the sounds Hendrix got with it it's one my all time favorite recorded effects from the 60's. I can listen to Band of Gypsys for days.

I also have the script 90 reissue and that's the one I play the most. I love it and for the price you can't go wrong with one.

Silverdome

Reaction score
Put the Deja Vibe through the paces tonight with my Les Paul. Sat on the floor went carefully through every knob setting. It was a pretty disappointing. Tomorrow I'm going to try my strat and if that doesn't work then it's probably time to help the pedal find a new home. I read the manual and it makes bold claims that it is the 'only' one that is built like the originals. I guess my question is how come I can't get it to sound like the recordings I've heard that feature the original?

Also, I pretty much just plugged Les paul into the Vibe and into the Marshall. Tried guitar volume up and down. Also, I ran a fuzz into it and the two effects do not get along. Open to any guidance from other Vibe users.

Silverdome

Reaction score
Put the Deja Vibe through the paces tonight with my Les Paul. Sat on the floor went carefully through every knob setting. It was a pretty disappointing. Tomorrow I'm going to try my strat and if that doesn't work then it's probably time to help the pedal find a new home. I read the manual and it makes bold claims that it is the 'only' one that is built like the originals. I guess my question is how come I can't get it to sound like the recordings I've heard that feature the original?

Also, I pretty much just plugged Les paul into the Vibe and into the Marshall. Tried guitar volume up and down. Also, I ran a fuzz into it and the two effects do not get along. Open to any guidance from other Vibe users.

I think I found the answer to my question above.

First off for reference this was my experience and I was sounding similar to this guys use of the effect

Like him I could get subtle warbles but it was mostly guitar coming through. Where was that Univibe under water sound that I hear on all those records?

I think I figured it out.

First, the Fulltone Deja Vibe probably is an authentic recreation and like most of my experience with authentic vintage effects they are finicky. Some like humbuckers, some like single coils, most like low out put pickups and you have to dial in the sweet spot with the pedal knobs and your guitar volume to get desirable results.

I did a bit of reading and watched about a fair amount of youtube demos. What I've found so far is that there's a good reason why most of those classic Univibe tones were recorded with strats. I'm finding my Deja Vibe likes the strat.

I have to give this guy credit for his guidance at the beginning -

It really comes down to touch and feel. He points out you gotta use volume and he also points out that it's a subtle slower effect (boom!). This pedal pulses and you gotta ride the wave of that pulse. You gotta play within the pulse the pedal gives you and it involves some touch and feel. He's right on you gotta move with the pedal. When I did this I was getting that under water sound as quite blown away by the sound.

Regarding running distortion in there.. I pushed a Bif Muff Triangle into it and I had to really put the volume of the pedal around unity volume with the guitar and use the guitar volume knob to get that liquid sound. I also found a half cocked wah just into the Vibe and using the natural gain from the Marshal got some really good results.

Regarding Phaser vs Uni Vibe I think the Phaser is much more user friendly and works in so many more diverse applications. The Vibe literally has more vibes and it's really magical when you achieve it. I hope that helps.

Latest posts