• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Photo request: JMP 2203, 1977, back panel

• Thread starter Matthews Guitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The 1977 JMP 2203 model amp that I picked up does not have its back panel on the chassis, and I want to do something about that.

So far I haven't found a single one available anywhere. Given how good I am at searching out odd things, that means they're pretty scarce indeed. At least as available spares.

So I'm asking for help. If you have a late 70s JMP 2203 model, can you take some really good pictures of the back panel and post them? I'm trying to get artwork that's good enough that digital drawings can be made of them so I can get the panel accurately reproduced. The gold anodized, brush finished aluminum plate is easy enough. With good artwork I can get a local shop to print it, no hassles.

The photos should be made in good even lighting without flash, camera pointed straight on at the panel, for a nice clean rectangular image. It'd be best to have the chassis out of the cabinet. It's OK to make several photos of individual sections of the amp, they can be stitched together digitally later, but the more closely they're matched in size, the better.

My particular amp has a permanently attached (not socketed) power cord and no input voltage selector. The original speaker impedance selector was the plug-in jumper type. I can probably work with other versions as they can be edited in photoshop or whatever the printer uses.

john hammond

Reaction score
ironballs, use a 500ma instead of a 1amp there on the h.t fuse, better safe than sorry.

neikeel

Reaction score
IIRC Metro had some front panels made up and Valvestorm kept them for a while.
Rears were an issue as they struggled to get enough width for the 100w.
Have you contacted Valvestorm? Other option is to try London Vintage Guitars via one of their fleabay listings - might get you an earlier type you can get MK II added to?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. They're going into my reference material collection.

I'm working with a signage shop to produce some replica metal panels. In gold anodized brushed aluminum, digitally printed, and clearcoat protected.

I'll have my JMP 2203 and 1959 proof samples in about a week.

The real breakthrough was when I found the exact fonts required for the back panels.

My plan is to be able to offer most variants of the JMP front and back panels of various models.

I'm building a structured panel identification system that will help people to get the panel they need.

For example, for the 1959 front and rear panels, here's how the options are arranged:

Stock 1959:
Fronts:
F1959TP (Toggles, with Polarity switch)
F1959TNP (Toggles, No Polarity switch)
F1959RP (Rockers, Polarity switch)
F1959RNP (Rockers, No Polarity switch)

Rears:
R1959C-NV-JP (Corded, No Voltage selector, Jumper Plug speaker selector)
R1959S-NV-JP (Socketed, No Voltage sel, Jumper Plug speaker selector)
R1959C-VS-JP (Corded, Voltage Selector coin switch, Jumper Plug)
R1959S-VS-JP (Socketed, Voltage Selector coin switch, Jumper Plug)

All versions above end in –CSP instead of JP if using a coin switch speaker impedance selector)

There will be ways to identify a MK II edition and identify if the back panel has script or block lettering,
and whatever else is required.

I'll only be offering metal panels for the time being. No plexiglas or plastic.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Thanks for the pics. They're going into my reference material collection.

I'm working with a signage shop to produce some replica metal panels. In gold anodized brushed aluminum, digitally printed, and clearcoat protected.

I'll have my JMP 2203 and 1959 proof samples in about a week.

The real breakthrough was when I found the exact fonts required for the back panels.

My plan is to be able to offer most variants of the JMP front and back panels of various models.

I'm building a structured panel identification system that will help people to get the panel they need.

For example, for the 1959 front and rear panels, here's how the options are arranged:

Stock 1959:
Fronts:
F1959TP (Toggles, with Polarity switch)
F1959TNP (Toggles, No Polarity switch)
F1959RP (Rockers, Polarity switch)
F1959RNP (Rockers, No Polarity switch)

Rears:
R1959C-NV-JP (Corded, No Voltage selector, Jumper Plug speaker selector)
R1959S-NV-JP (Socketed, No Voltage sel, Jumper Plug speaker selector)
R1959C-VS-JP (Corded, Voltage Selector coin switch, Jumper Plug)
R1959S-VS-JP (Socketed, Voltage Selector coin switch, Jumper Plug)

All versions above end in –CSP instead of JP if using a coin switch speaker impedance selector)

There will be ways to identify a MK II edition and identify if the back panel has script or block lettering,
and whatever else is required.

I'll only be offering metal panels for the time being. No plexiglas or plastic.

That is awesome! Can’t wait to see pics! Where will you sell them at?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm sure I'll be offering them in the classifieds forum. I've got a thread running in the Marshall Amps subforum, go there and check it out. Add your desired specific variant to the list of requested types.

Once I have a good handle on editing the vectors, adding a new variant is easy and won't incur any additional setup charges for me.

houseofrock

Reaction score
Something to consider. Some people will take a combo amp and put it in a head shell. To get it to look right the panels need to be flipped around. Printing new ones for that purpose would be helpful. The one that comes up often is the DSL40C. Since they do not offer a head version of this amp panels orientated in the right direction would look better than putting it in the head box upside down.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
It'd be most helpful to get photos of the special case panels like that one, and better yet, get dimensions on it, too. And then I can see what can be done to make a new panel that fits the application.

Simply flipping text and logos over is a simple matter.

Neil S

Reaction score
I did some work on this a while ago and gave up because the manufacturer wanted to use foil coated plastic. Are yours going to be sheet aluminium?
1977-JMP-Rear.jpg

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes. Gold anodized brush grained sheet aluminum, as close to the original as I can get it. I have samples from a company, which seem to be the very thing. Trying to see if I can get smaller pieces than a full 4x8 foot sheet.

Some people would be satisfied with plastic replicas. Not me. I want restoration grade reproductions that are as true to the originals as I can make them, within my budgetary constraints.

Oh, just to be clear about it, your panel there is from a 1977 JMP 2203, correct?

One of my amps, and the one that got me started on this project, is a 1977 JMP 2203 with no back panel. Mine does not have the voltage selector. It appears that yours was retrofitted with an IEC power socket.

I'm not at all sure when MK 2 models got introduced, but I think I need to research that. I was under the impression that mine is not a MK 2. I thought that MK 2 would be found on the front panel as well, and mine doesn't say that.

Last edited:

Neil S

Reaction score
Yes mine is a 1977 serial ends with J, serial number on rear panel (later models had it on the front)
Many had the IEC socket, here are a couple more photos and
mickeydg5 has a photo of one as well.
s-l1600.jpg marshall jmp-3.jpg

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Well, here's some good news. I've identified all the exact fonts used on the various back panels, both block and script.

So, that helps a lot. I'll be able to get some very good looking repro panels made. It's just going to take a little time.

john hammond

Reaction score
- whatever you're doing over there, its hot damn good.
very impressive.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
OK, I just got back from a Hurricane Dorian vacation. Which was a lot like being chased by a murderous turtle, but less exciting.

Regarding the metal JMP panels, after doing a lot of investigations I've figure out what really exists and what is theoretically posssible, but doesn't really exist.

It comes down to this:

The 1959 and 1987 models are identical and there are just two versions: With and without polarity toggle switches.

There aren't any other variants.

Now, remember, this is JMP series ONLY that I'm taking about. Yes, there are versions of the 1959 and 1987 that have rocker switches, but those are in the JCM800
category. (And newer.) I'm not looking at the JCM800 panels until the JMP panels are actually being cut and printed.

Regarding the two input master volume panels: (2203, 2204, related models)

There are four versions of this panel: Toggles without a polarity toggle. Toggles with a polarity toggle. Rocker switches without a polarity rocker, and rocker switches with a polarity rocker. (Apparently very rare, I have not actually found a photo of an amp in this configuration so it clearly isn't a common configuration.)

So, this has become really simple as far as front panels are concerned, with only six versions.

Back panels are a slightly different problem. More options, more styles, and I'm not quite sure which ones do, may, or never go with which models, at least in some cases.

Four speaker jacks or two. Jumper plug or coin switch impedance selector. Jumper plug, coin switch, or none for mains voltage selector. Power input: Hard-wired cord and grommet, Bulgin round connector, Builgin IEC retrofit that fits in the same hole, newer style IEC socket.

Script or block back print.
What I need is some sort of definitive guide on which back panel variants appear on which amps.

So far I've only addressed replicating standard model variants. If you want something customized to match your customized amp, in many cases this can be accomodated
at a resonable price. For example, who NEEDS four speaker connectors? Keep the two that are standard on a 50 watt unit as they are, and convert the other two for effects loop send and return and print the back panel to match. That'll be common enough that I'll consider it to be a standard option.

Changes to the text blocks on any control, for custom purposes, can be accomodated at minimal extra cost. A few dollars. Text edits are almost free.

john hammond

Reaction score
There aren't any other variants.

yeah there is another variant, i've got one.

canadian transitional 50 watt jmp...1977..large logo ( i took the fucken thing off it got to me)..white piping. Old style 784-389 with bold stamped ink I.D, philips .022 green demons.

jmp logo ----indicator-----power------standby. and then the rest is the same.

switches are normal vintage style, not rocker

edit- the font is different too.

Latest posts