• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Pick Your Axe

• Thread starter Baretta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Pick Your Axe

• Jackson Dinky (Japan Made)

• 80's Charvel (Japan Made)

• Ibanez RG Prestige

Results are only viewable after voting.

Baretta

Reaction score
This is limited but never had a Jackson or Charvel. Just wondering what people's views are one these 3. I've seen many people showing off their Jackson and Ibanez guitars. Looking to add more to the stable (like I really need another).
Hello my name is _______ and I'm a addict.

Last edited:

ricksconnected

Reaction score
3 of my fav's. cant pick just one myself.
charvel/Jackson are pretty much the same in my opinion.
I buy whichever one I find first. both are amazing guitars and no
rock or metal guy should be w/o several of them.
my collection has several of each. always willing to add more too.

Ibanez plays totally different to me and is probably the higher end
sports car of the 3. the 550 was the first real shred guitar in my book.
love them and buy them when I find them.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've never owned any super strat type guitars, I've always wondered which was better and why. Always seemed like a lot of money to pay when you could get a Fender for a lot less. I always liked the look of the Jackson and Charvel with the Fender style headstock any way but never played one. Never liked the look of the Ibanez headstock though.

Last edited:

BowerR64

Reaction score
I would bet the Ibanez to be the best bang for the buck

Im partial to Charvel specially if it has the fender style headstock with the straight string pull.

I never cared for the jackson sharkfin inlays

royslead

Reaction score
I picked up a Jackson DK2S a while back, replacing a Schecter I wore out. I was very pleased to find the neck similar to my number one (a Carvin ST300). I needed a super Strat style with a Floyd and 24 frets. This was a very good fit for me.
I looked at Charvels in the past, played through one that needed a lot of work, but didn't buy it. I owned an Ibanez RG (non-Prestige) in the past, and moved on.

Philip Lyon

Reaction score
I have owned 2 Dinky model Jacksons, both made in Japan. One had an HSH configuration and the other (currently owned) has a HSS layout.
The other Jackson I owned was a SL4H Japanese thru neck Soloist model.
I had to sell most of my guitars back in 2005 when my wife had to give up work through long term illness (still suffering today) and I only recently acquired the Jap DK2 Hot Rod Flames for relatively little money.
I really missed not having a Dinky in my arsenal of guitars, SGs and Strats just can't fill it's place 100%.
I prefer the Dinky HSS to the thru neck Soloist by a long margin, it just suits me better and the bolt on neck is actually stiffer too, less flex, less tuning drift whilst playing energetically !
I currently have a USA Fender Custom Shop 58 Tele in for repair at the moment (customer dropped it - ouch !!) and it's build quality and neck fit is nowhere near as good as my MIJ DK2.
My vote is firmly with the Dinky but that's not to say Ibanez and Charvel aren't good, they just don't do it for me. It's a feel thing more than anything and I love Jackson Dinky neck profiles.

Coronado

Reaction score
I have a Jackson DK2S with Sustainiac I bought just to have a guitar with a sustainiac. It's a very nice guitar. My fave player
out of 36 total in my collection ( about 18 are Ibbies), is an Ibanez J Custom RG3. Tone Zone and Air Norton Pups with tri-switching makes it a tone monster. The J Customs are truly a cut above the rest in the Ibanez line.

J Custom RG 3

Ibanez Prestige RG 20063 Puzzle Guitar

Jackson DK2S

J

I frickin' LOVE that Sustaniac! I would love to have one of those bad boys - so dang cool!

Hey, not sure when you added that recording, but I just gave it a listen. That is really, really good stuff! Sounds fantastic, and some amazing guitar work. Love the feel of the song. Awesome job!!!

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Ibanez all day long.

I've had other MIJ guitars but when you've got a prestige model nothing comes close. Of course, feel is subjective and the Ibanez is the thinnest neck of the bunch but they practically play themselves.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
IMG_20170211_153444345_zpshuagpp1i.jpg

TheStringedFamily_zpsb68e1af5.jpg

IMG_1685_zpsqck5zufw.jpg

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I went 80's Charvel/ Jap/Charvette,Texas.I've had a bunch from Model 2's-6's, but I like H/S/S & there's quite a few out there that rock. in fact,Robin out of Ft.Worth,Texas were great guitars too.
my latest FR equipped player but not my fave as I like Les Paul necks (fatter & not quite as wide or flat) and the vol knob is too close to the bridge/pickup for me-
Beautiful guitar though,plays flawlessly,I set the trem up perfectly,& I'll let it go shipped for $400 packed right.
pics%20001_zpsw6wytykv.jpg

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I use to love Robyn guitars. whatever happened to them?
went poof?

from their site-
12-1-2010

Dear All Robin Fans...

After 28 years Robin Guitars has ceased taking orders and producing instruments. A number of events have led to this decision. Not one we wanted to make, but one that needed to be made. We have thoroughly enjoyed our time doing the things we love and creating instruments for people who share the same passion....and what a passion it is!

All core components of the company will go into storage...who knows what the future will bring.......

if you can still find pieces they are awsome & highly valuable.

custom53

Reaction score
One of the best playing Guitars I have ever owned was a Charvel Model II.. I still don't know why I sold it.. It was White when I got it I stripped it down and painted a Dark Metallic Gray. I think it looked a lot better that way especially with the Black Headstock and Dark fret board..

Charvel-1.jpg