Pickup Lesson. Feel free to ask questions

• Thread starter captcoolaid
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
It is a fine tune thing. volume drops from different strings adding treble to the bass strings or taking some of the bite out of the treble side. I have found that a balanced coil takes this away. Just adjusting the height makes all the difference.

Remember the orioginal had screws in it only for aesthetics.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Sounds good Rayne.
Im very interested in this spec.
Been diggn a8mags lately too.

Just lookin for the personal holy grail.

Im sure youre familiar with the hybrids.

What guitar do you think the 5150 is best in?

thrawn86

Reaction score
Off topic, but Rayne........keep your doors locked good and tight, you hear? Don't want any whackadoo's lurking at your place.

Billyblades

Reaction score
Thanks for the call Rayne. :)

We just had an exciting talk just awhile ago on the phone and Rayne sounds healthy, vibrant and poised for a upswing in business.

Lets just say its a unique winding process thats pretty exclusive to MHD combined with alot of knowledge about tone!
Lets just say i learned more about what makes his pups different and i will just say i am anxiously awaiting arrival of a few Mhd buckers!

I been holding off recording till i get all the right pieces of the puzzle to complete what i want to do.

Its gotta be great to match the sonic goodness of my amps so i wont look back wishing it was better

Im ready man!!! .

^AXE^

Reaction score
Any way to straighten these bobbins out?

I can't picture installing this in a Custom Shop Historic looking like this.

mhdwonky_zps6b9e78b8.jpg

Billyblades

Reaction score
Damn.. that s crazy. They come like that?

You.migh try loosening them.up an trying to hold in place while retightend. If the hole.is drilled wrong.on the baseplate you can "egg " it out a lil with a dremel without any hardcore dissasembly.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
Is that one of mine? And when are you gonna send the broke one back

gdh1532

Reaction score
I have a question.
I was digging through some old boxes of crap I had laying around.
I found a Ibanez QM2 pup.
It's DC measures 17.6
If I remember right I replaced this with an EMG 85.
I read that this pup comes with a ceramic mag, which tends to bring on a bit of harshness.
I'm thinking of doing a mag swap but, not sure which one would be best to smooth it out.

1 keep it hot and use an A8, or drop it on back to something like an a2.

I also read that keeping the ceramic but wrapping it in paper really sweetens up the pup.

Comments? Suggestion?

Ps I'm thinking of putting this in another Les Paul.

Billyblades

Reaction score
The a2 will be cool. Theva8 will keep it hot likevthe ceramic butvsweeten it. One thing... mags are cheap. Theres a guy on ebay selling sets. (Addictionfx) . In your LP,,, you can swap mags easy by slacking the strings n pullit it out the top enough to do the swap.

You can leave each magnet in a couple days to.let it settle and make some comparison clips that you can go back to for finap judging.

Feel plays a part too because some mags dont "feel " right in the response while playing. Have fun with it. Its a little effort.but the knowledge is worth.it.

gdh1532

Reaction score
Ps dude.. that beiber shit is fukkin creepy but hilarious ... :D

Yeah. There was another thread where asked , to put Miley Cyrus' head on Bieber's body. I was going to do it all up right, resize the head pic and adjust color tones to match.

Before I got that far, I looked up and started laughing at the pic like it was.
My wife saw it, started laughing, I started laughing at it again.

I decided it was good just like it was. :)

Billyblades

Reaction score
Yeah.. saw the thread and it was a tad disturbing. I dont like either so i.just rolled out lol. Funny pik tho. The other pik made me sik haha but your profile pik is hilarious
.. ok.. back to pups.
Waiting on a few from Rayne now.

5150... teabag... and a Straightjacket
Going to be interesting to hear these! Been a long damn time,,, i been trying others n swapping magnets. Dying to hear Raynes work.
We talked about some stuff and about his techniques and his winding machine.
Seems alot of people wind with different machines that spin the bobbin,,, but Rayne has a different winder with a tensioning arm that rotates around a "stationary " bobbin. These keep the tension on the wire throughout the spinning.
I was really interested in thisvand Rayne said this is his method and it is a reason his pups get the sound and crazy high output.
Hopefully he will elaborate. Its something that sets him apart from the majority and i like stuff like that.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Teabag???? :hmm: do tell!!

I dropped my Straitjacket in the LP today. Huge improvement! Still it has that upper mid thing going like the SD JB...not necessarily a bad thing, just not exactly what I'm going for. I think tomorrow I might try it with an A2 mag and see if that warms it up a bit. Mainly because I think it might pair up better with the BB1 in the bridge, If not, the BB1 goes too. :D

captcoolaid

Reaction score
The A2 is the way to go for LP style guitars for me with the SJ pup. I think the A8 at least for my tastes is bit to much for the maple cap. That combined with the wind style It did not offer enough dig to the bottom for me. Remember the SJ was designed for Tele and strat Style guitars to give them that LP richness but with just a bit more.

Ah yes the TEA BAG set. This was a happy accident actually. I was actually spinning for AXE when I first started a few years back and was smoking a cig and chatting with some one. Well I lost track and by the time I got back to the machine there was something like 6800 turns. Well so as not to waste wire I wound the next coil to 7100 turns of 42 wire, soldered it together wax potted it scratched my nuts and decided hmmmmm kind of gamey. and blamo the TEA Bag was born.

captcoolaid

Reaction score
AXE loosen the plate screws and squeeze them together. Crap that left my shop like that. Some one is getting bitched at.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
...I think the A8 at least for my tastes is bit to much for the maple cap. That combined with the wind style It did not offer enough dig to the bottom for me. ...

That just about sums it up perfectly. I debated whether or not to leave the A2 in it (if you remember I did that before), but I wanted to try it in it's stock form first. I knew if I didn't I'd wonder and probably try it anyway...now I know, haha. btw the screw post didn't line up with a cover after all so we must have done the T spaced like you thought.

edit: <snip> ...what I asked no longer applies.

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I messed with the straightjacket all day today...tried A2 and back to A8 and then A2 again and really spent some time tweaking the adjustment. While it was ok, it just wasn't giving me the chunk I wanted. It wasn't "bad" either way, just not what I'm looking for...

Then I decided to try the Stangkfinger just for shits and grins and it wasn't bad, I thought it was better than the SJ in the bottom chunk department, but a little bright in the highs. It was then that I realized I still had an A3 mag in it (per your suggestion) from using it in my Godin. Well I yanked it out and put an A2 in and there it was!!!!...it sounds Awesome! It sounds so good I think I'm going to leave it. It's tight and chunky and rude and punchy as hell, notes just fly out of it! :applause: :applause:

I think I'm good for a while....whew! I was starting to get frustrated. I want that SJ for my Tele build anyway. :naughty:

I'm still interested in hearing what Billy has to say about the Teabag...

Billyblades

Reaction score
Good stuff bro. The les paul is a tricky.bitch to dial.in. never before have i.had pickup issues like ive had with.les pauls. Now going boutique withh Raynes wares i hope to.get it nailed