• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Played a trick on my boutique amp snob friend

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Thing is before the latest update on my Helix it was the same for me. The latest one pushed it over the top. I dont know exactly what they did but I was on the beta testing team and I noticed it right away. The feel is there too now. I played (and still do) through tube amps for 35 years. Everything is there now. The feel, the dynamics. Matter of fact it does some of it better than my tube amps now.
Hmmmm....I'm still skeptical, but I'll try to keep an open mind. :hmm: I'd love to be able to use something light and leave me tube amps at home. That'd be great for my bad back!

Like many others, I think the sound quality is pretty darned good these days, but the *thump* isn't there for me.

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wear a goatee. A goatee is considered one form of beard.
View attachment 95856

Apparently there's a whole bunch of different beard styles. It's a bit too "metro-sexuall" for me to get into the differing styles, but in case you're interested :
Top 27 Different Types of Beards: Best Beard Styles & Ideas (2021 Guide) (menshairstylestoday.com)

(and no, I'm not trying to suggest you might be one of those metro type dudes)

You never know, I could be a 3ft tall midget tranny with big ol' tits like the bumper guards on a '57 Buick and a ZZ Top set of whiskers.

dro

Reaction score
I know that digital has come a long way. Have heard some major acts that I grew up with, through the 70's. Groups who used big stacks. Plural. Walls of real loaded cabs.
Then seeing them some 40-50 years later. Guitar tones,, obviously direct didn't have the same oomph. Was it the Digital? Was it the mix? Who knows? But it was crap.
That said. I never heard a Helix that I'm aware of. I'm sure it would have to do with the type of guitar tones you are after. Everybody has their own idea of good tone. Mine tone is best. And your tone sucks.

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Crikey

Reaction score
Love that story. take a line out of Bob Dylans How does it Feel,” Now you don't talk so loud
Now you don't seem so proud”

your buddy is questioning his ears now and all his preconceptions. Turnabout is fair play

Crikey

Reaction score
I have a Fractal modelling amp (Axe-FX II) and I love it. But it doesn't duplicate what my Marshalls do, or any other of my "real" tube amps. It's close and you'd probably never know the difference in a band setting, but when you're in a quiet room with no other sound sources or distractions, you can feel the difference in how the two types interact with you as you play.

And that's an obsolescent modelling amp. Yesterday's news. Newer ones are assumed to be even better.

It'd be a shame if new modellers WEREN'T really good. They get more refined with every new generation of product, and the day is coming where NOBODY will be able to reliably tell the difference between the new modeller and the old classic tube amp of your choice. We may already be there.

That being said, I like plugging into my Marshalls, Fenders, and Boogies. I'm not looking to sell any of them.
Welp, unless i just havent seen it, there is still do much disparity between patches. Ive never seen anyone but a tweaker able to set thrm up correctly. Until a unit has an auto level control for all patches, they fall woefully short. Imo

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
A Fractal does require you to spend a little time studying it and working with it. It's not really a plug-and-play device. That should be understood from the very start. But the rewards gained by acquiring the knowledge it takes to use it well will pay off handsomely with tones that are frankly incredible.

If your preference is more grab-and-go, plug in and play, then a Fractal is probably the wrong choice for you.
If you are looking forward to seeing how deep the rabbit hole goes, it's probably just your thing.

Derek S

Reaction score
A Fractal does require you to spend a little time studying it and working with it. It's not really a plug-and-play device. That should be understood from the very start. But the rewards gained by acquiring the knowledge it takes to use it well will pay off handsomely with tones that are frankly incredible.

Yes! It's all about T-O-N-E. I've had my Axe III now for a couple years and something I find disappointing to read is when a player makes that "it's not 100% authentic to amp XXX" remark...and I get it, especially if perhaps you're in a tribute act or cover band and sounding similar is important...but, if you're not and just want pro level, amazing tones, does it really NEED to be 100% identical? I suppose that's a dumb thought, especially for a bedroom rock star simply looking to record great tones for personal fun like myself.

Luckily I think the majority of us are not overly concerned with duping someone else's tone (excluding the VH brown sound from time to time for fun ;):D) and honestly, even if you had the same exact real amp/tubes/cab/mic's/guitar/pickups/dialed to the same settings, etc, you still won't sound "100%" newayz, close maybe, but never the exact same - so why the fuss over a modeler only being "close" too? I have a soldano SLO 100 and not once have I ever thought or tried to dial it in so I could pretend to be George Lynch, Satirani, Gary Moore, etc, I just wanted bitchin' high gain tones to make music with and someday maybe find my own voice. A modeler/profiler, etc, should be no different IMO.

The Axe Fx III (and other high end modelers) delivers amazing tones in every flavor, through a live rig or direct with IR's to a DAW, etc, I personally don't care about "authenticity" lol. My goal is to have someone hear a track of mine and say "holy shit, great tone man, whatchu using?" and proudly being able to respond "modeler xxx" haha! I seriously doubt I'll ever then hear "a modeler, eh? Hmmm, but that doesn't sound exactly like amp xxx with the mids 3/4 up running through a blackback loaded marshall cab and an sm57 off axis".

Last edited:

aikiguy

Reaction score
This was an awesome test of your buddy’s ears, and funny as hell, really.

I’ve been back and forth on the tube vs digital vs solid state since they came out with the Lead 100 Mosfet back in the 80’s. I bought the whole stack brand new.

Since then, I’ve had and used regularly a modded JCM800, 2 JCM900’s, and EVH5150iii, Blackstar HT5 as a preamp into a 900 effects in, Blackstar ID:60 (this is a digital amp), and the H&K Black Spirit 200 Floor (This s a solidstate amp).

To be honest, I’ve loved the sounds and feel of all of them, but I have to say that I’m really appreciative of the technological advancements that have come along over the years. Thing like having tuners built in, or noise gates, etc.

Having said that, there some digital amps that I’ve tried and not loved, for whatever reason. They probably sound great, but just different than what I’m used to, maybe.

It’s funny though cuz at the end of the day, the amps I’ve kept are my Lead 100 Mosfet (I use it for recording as another tone/layer), my Blackstar Id:60, and my H&K Black Spirit 200 Floor, which I now use full time For both recording and live playing. I don’t have a single tube anymore, and sold my 5150 a couple of years back.

I guess I’m not saying it’s impossible for people to tell the difference, but for me, I’d rather be carrying lighter stuff if it sounds the same.

Anyways… I hope you and your buddy can get back to having a drink together. Cheers.