• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Played a trick on my boutique amp snob friend

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

circles

Reaction score
I think that there is a lot of equipment, guitars, etc., that people would think differently about if they were blind taste tested.

JohnH

Reaction score
Well my guitar teacher also uses a Helix system when he plays gigs, and in his studio too. It sounds really good and he has everything he needs dialed in for his professional work of playing, recording and teaching. But with real tube amps, we can both agree that we just 'like' them more!

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Years ago I read a thread on a forum where a guy played a similar prank. He posted samples recorded on a Line 6 ______ (can't remember what device/amp it was) and told them that it was his Mesa tube combo. There was post after post about how "organic" it sounded and how "modeling would never touch this." After a few pages, he let them off the hook and told them what it really was.

Even my old Line 6 POD 2.0 from 2004-ish can get some VERY tube-like tones, and modeling has grown leaps and bounds since then.

But as for me, I enjoy the best of both worlds. I run a Boss GT-100 in 4-cable across a DSL 100H or a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so I get that Marshall "personality" with a ton of versatility at my fingertips.

MKIII900

Reaction score
Years ago I read a thread on a forum where a guy played a similar prank. He posted samples recorded on a Line 6 ______ (can't remember what device/amp it was) and told them that it was his Mesa tube combo. There was post after post about how "organic" it sounded and how "modeling would never touch this." After a few pages, he let them off the hook and told them what it really was.

Even my old Line 6 POD 2.0 from 2004-ish can get some VERY tube-like tones, and modeling has grown leaps and bounds since then.

But as for me, I enjoy the best of both worlds. I run a Boss GT-100 in 4-cable across a DSL 100H or a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so I get that Marshall "personality" with a ton of versatility at my fingertips.
I do the same thing with a JCM 900 combo, but with a Line 6 POD ProX rackmount system and floor controller. I also have an Axe FX II, but that's just hooked up to my PC for home recording.
I find the POD preamp models sound really good when run through the Marshall in 4CM. I mostly use the actual preamp in the Marshall, but it's nice to have access to a fender style clean and Boogie style high gain sound too. Plus all the FX available.