• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Plexi and boosted jcm 800 based amp

• Thread starter SloeGin
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tomgulbinas

Reaction score
Craigslist, FaceBook marketplace. All three of the Splawns I've had I've picked up for between $950-1,150.
Has this been in the last two years?

Prices have gone up a ton in the past couple of years. Seeing old Reverb sales makes me regret not buying certain amps/guitars earlier.

Joeleoj

Reaction score
Craigslist, FaceBook marketplace. All three of the Splawns I've had I've picked up for between $950-1,150.
Where are you located, and when was this? The only quickrod within 150 miles of me is listed at $1800 as are all the ones on reverb. Also I sold mine last year for $1700 in two days. In short, snatch those up and flip em dude!

Nitrobattery

Reaction score
I'm near Portland, OR. A friend just grabbed one recently for $1,100.

Reverb isn't the metric the gauge the market anymore. As soon as they hiked their prices and started collecting tax information, most private sellers moved to forums and Facebook groups. The ones listed on Reverb are going to sit there for a while. There are still plenty of deals to be found.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
You just described the characteristics of the Marshall Vintage Modern. Incredibly versatile amp, quiet, reliable, does indeed plexi and hotrodded JCM 800.
Too dark and tubby for me—I enjoyed the amp for several years off and on but only with the detail jacked and body off. Just personal taste of course but when I think of plexi and/or JCM800 I think high mids—KERRANG. VM had a more rounded character

I was considering Friedman but they are too expensive

Not sure that’s what you want—I have a couple Friedmans right here and, like the VM, they are more of a refined tone than a 2203 or even 2204. Those amps are aggressively high mid voiced

johan.b

Reaction score
... call me crazy, but... I always thought peavey classic 30 did a good plexi style sound... once you've replaced the speaker with your choose celestion...(broken in G12-65 is the right answer here..😁 ).

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
... call me crazy, but... I always thought peavey classic 30 did a good plexi style sound... once you've replaced the speaker with your choose celestion...(broken in G12-65 is the right answer here..😁 ).
Your crazy!
But I agree with the G12-65!
Love your videos, and keep up the great work!
Always a pleasure!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd go 5150 Iconic OD channel for the 800 tones all day. For the Plexi the bottom will need to be shelved a bit but articulation is there. All on the green channel. It's more open sounding. Run mine thru an Orange 412 V30/H30 mix or my 5153 EVH 412 20 watt greenbacks. Speakers matter.

The Iconic's green OD channel is my fav hot rodded 800 sound. Getting a Plexi sound/feel is gonna take some magic. Doable to a point. I'm not talking perfection though.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
While the Origins are fine amps, they really don't do high gain, and ar nothing like JCM800's. But again, they're great little amps in their own right.
Put a Friedman BE-OD pedal in front of one, and you will have a near JCM, but the price of an Origin + that pedal is the same as an SC20h!

DSL is probably the way to go with a Boss SD-1 one up front. That is more affordable.