Poll: How do you purchase your music?

• Thread starter lespaul339
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

How do you purchase music?

• Total voters

lespaul339

Reaction score
Just wondering what everyone's preferred way of getting music is these days? I can't remember the last time I bought a CD. I do have a pretty big CD collection, but I don't listen to them that often. I buy everything on vinyl. It's also my preferred way of listening to music. I also hear cassettes are making a comeback again, so that's why I included it on the poll. Thought it would be interesting to see the results.

NumbSkull

Reaction score
This thread is a bit confusing, it says purchase in the thread title but get in the first post. They are not the same.

Also see this thread,

My main source for the past month has been the What are you listening to right now and Friday RAWK threads.

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
I buy nothing but CD's anymore. I gave up my 600+ vinyl collection and last 100 or so cassette collection I collected since the 80's about 7 years ago now. I still have a lot more CD's to buy to replace some of what I had on cassette and Vinyl. After many years of collecting and listening to CD's, cassettes and Vinyl's (several albums I had on all formats) I came to the conclusion that I just prefer the sound and ease of CD's. I have zero interest in downloads or streaming.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
At home I listen to a lot of music on Pandora, which I pay a subscription for. If I hear something that turns me on I'll go look up that band on youtube and check out other songs and if it's something I like more of then I buy the CD.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
we have a lot of record stores around here...

I do miss my old favorites though...

Used to have a black market store, that had just about any & everything you could want. They pressed their own records even... At one time, they got caught, because they somehow got the master reels of EC Ocean Blvd LP, that were stolen. I guess they traced the new pressing back to the store...

There's quite a few underground stores as well, that sell imports, boots, etc.

There's plenty that can be had online as well. Scamazon carries a bunch. There's other stores though, where you can get a lot of stuff, that you might not be able to find, at a regular store...

I've been looking here:

they have an interesting selection, similar to the local record store I get stuff at. They seem to be a couple bucks cheaper, but, by the time I pay shipping, etc., it's a wash...

Many bands have their own little shops online as well, that carry fan stuff, so, there's that too. It just takes looking around.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Spotify.

When my first wife passed away, I had an estate sale. I sold everything. Went from hundreds of CD's to zero.

Decades ago I had a large vinyl collection. The story doesn't matter now, but they were all ruined, gone.

Oh, I have kids now. Streaming is all they know. So it's a family plan. I'd be paying whether I used it or not. So it's all I use now.

TheKman76

Reaction score
I miss record stores.

Man, so do I.

The family has Spotify and it's great for car trips, digging into new genre, or getting recommendations. But, there's something about the experience of playing music on the Hi-Fi. The stuff I want to buy on vinyl is also often not what I listen to digitally either. :shrug:

BlueX

Reaction score
Vinyls, cassettes, and CD's from back in the days. Still play them.

Nowadays I buy some vinyls. For background music I use Spotify.

bhatta

Reaction score
Forgotten when I last bought music.
Maybe be a couple of vinyl some years back.
Don't think I bought music post 2010...

Bittorrent and Youtube.

Have some records and hundreds of CD's but have not listened to them in years.
For a long time downloaded torrents, now mostly YouTube!

About a hundred CD's, VCD's, DVD's with nothing to play them on.
About 500 cassettes which I don't think will run anymore.
All I got is a working cheap Chinese vinyl player, I use it maybe twice a year...

lespaul339

Reaction score
We have a quite a few record used stores around my area. There's one that I really like that you could spend a whole afternoon in looking through all of their vinyl. If it's a newer release I order the vinyl from Amazon.

mirrorman

Reaction score
I voted for CD, that is my usual format, but still buy vinyl occasionally.
I also occasionally do digital downloads as I still have money on itunes from a gift card somebody gave me years ago. Usually it's for one hit wonders that I don't want a whole album of.
I haven't bought a pre-recorded cassette since I don't know when (probably late '80s).