• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Powering a Marshall Haze 40 after sitting in storage for 3 years

• Thread starter Marshall Arts
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
Probably a stupid question, but I figured it was smart to ask more experienced folks than me.

I've had my 2010 Marshall Haze 40 sitting in storage for three years now. And I want to blow the dust off and fire her up soon.
Is it problematic to simply plug it into 230V mains and hit the power? Or do they need to be slowly jogged up to full power after such a long/short time?

I have no experience in putting a tube amp back into service after long periods cold.
But I've been reading online about people slowly bringing them up to full voltage with a variac (which I don't have) or putting a light bulb in series on the mains supply on first start. But these were amps that had a far longer vacation than mine.

Am I just over-thinking this?

JohnH

Reaction score
Im thinking that since its a fairly recent amp, and it hasn't been many years, and provided its been stored in a clean, dry internal place (not a damp shed), it should be ok to go. That is, if it was mine, id do it but im no expert. I reckon I'd start in standby for a few minutes, see that all the tubes are glowing, and everything seems A-Ok, then try playing starting at low volume.

KraftyBob

Reaction score
Ideally if you had a variac it's not a bad idea to bring the power up slowly in case the electrolytic capacitors need to be reformed. But I know others that have brought up amps that have been sitting idle a lot longer without problems.

Old Punker

Reaction score
Im thinking that since its a fairly recent amp, and it hasn't been many years, and provided its been stored in a clean, dry internal place (not a damp shed), it should be ok to go. That is, if it was mine, id do it but im no expert. I reckon I'd start in standby for a few minutes, see that all the tubes are glowing, and everything seems A-Ok, then try playing starting at low volume.

^^ +1

May want to look under the hood to make sure no critters inside first though. :)

adobestock_191004482_fmt.png.png

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
Thanks for your responses. Guess it's good to go.

It's been sitting in a dry and room tempered environment.

I'll keep the bug spray at hand if any critters have moved into it. ;):D

Last edited:

JohnH

Reaction score
A hazard down here where I live is mud-wasps building nexts in my jack sockets. I really HATE it when that happens!

Marshall Arts

Reaction score
Well, they better get the hell out for their own safety. Or maybe some of them will get fried in parallel over some high voltage components adding a cool character to the tone by luck. Critter tone! :dude:

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Use these in your amplifiers.

5a78bfbe-5185-45d3-bf6e-d3de35da1658_2.96359e4af0079cfa380df386c7ed06b1.jpeg