Pre Tubes for JVM Satriani

• Thread starter Nev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Nev

Reaction score
Been tube rolling a Satriani JVM. Anyone out there have recommendations for the V1 through V5 for pre amp tubes?
Using Marshall 4x12 and a Jackson soloist with Duncan JB.

Last edited:

booger007

Reaction score
Got the same head and Jackson guitars. Currently tube rolling as well. Currently have a Ruby 12ax7ac7hg+ in V1, Tad 7025s in V2, Ruby 12ax7ac5 in V3 and V5. I will have to look at V4.

I had a EH in V1 and V5 but the amp seemed to lose a little sustain and life. Which is weird because I use the EH tubes in my regular 410H and they sound great.

Going to try a Mullard CV4004 in V1 just to see what it does.

Been playing this through a 1960a with 2 creamback 65's and 2 creamback 75's.

I would love to hear your thoughts.

Nev

Reaction score
I also had a standard JVM that was modded for a little more gain on the crunch channel. This however affected the whole gain structure on the other channels as well. I was using OD2 in Green at half gain and it was massive :applause:
But I sold it to try the Satriani JVM. The tubes that it came with didn't sound that great to me, so now I'm rolling. I've got a bunch of tubes and a short attention span:lol:
So I'm checking to see if someone has done this already and can recommend something. It looks like it may be just us two so far. Looking for a great metal rhythm tone and a ripping lead. Not scooped, not crazy low end either. A nice tight thump when palm muting with some clarity when hitting open chords or singing solos.
Tubes I have already and are currently trying:
Sovtek 12AX7 LPS
JJ ECC83S
JJ ECC81
JJ ECC83 Gold Pin
Chinese 12AX7
Marshall ECC83 Valve 00055
Ruby HG
Ruby 7025 W
EH 12AX7EH Russian
Penta Labs 12AX7 A
7025 from The Tube Store

Nev

Reaction score
Curious, what speakers are you using?
I've got a few to choose from. I have a Splawn 4x12, a Marshall 4x12 and a Splawn 2x12 all loaded with Splawn Small Block speakers. I also have a Marshall Straight vintage and an ENGL slant loaded with V30's. I have access to G12 75's if I need them.
Some guys at the tube store and tube depot are recommending Tung Sols. I don't have any.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Some guys at the tube store and tube depot are recommending Tung Sols. I don't have any.

you may use tungsols, but keep them away from the third preamp position, lot's of them died in there, you'd be better off with a chinese 12AX7 or like mine a JJ ecc803 in there

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
you may use tungsols, but keep them away from the third preamp position, lot's of them died in there, you'd be better off with a chinese 12AX7 or like mine a JJ ecc803 in there

I think this problem has been solved by Tung Sol and is no longer an issue iirc .
I think it was a problem with the heater grid or something could not handle the voltage ??? i not 100% certain ...:scratch:

I 've used them in my 6100 V2 and on ...

Reaction score
Rolled a bunch in mine.....

IMO, nothing sounded better than stock, i.e., Chinese 12AX7 and Winged C EL34.

I think they balanced out the amps dark nature.

I've also tried all my 4x12s: CB-65/75, V30, GB and T-75

T-75 sounded the best, most balanced to me.

I think Joe and Santiago knew what they were doing.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think this problem has been solved by Tung Sol and is no longer an issue iirc .
I think it was a problem with the heater grid or something could not handle the voltage ??? i not 100% certain ...:scratch:

I 've used them in my 6100 V2 and on ...

the issue in regular amps is known to be heater to cathode voltage, but this was never a problem with JVM's as its heatervoltage is elevated by 75 volts, tungsol may have improved this, so placing tungsols in the cathode followers may not be a problem anymore...

however the silent recording option is the real problem with JVM's...
on initial powerup, even at standby mode, the pre's plates get their B+, instead of no voltage being available on standby mode on other circuits
this means, that the grid of the cathode follower is at high potential, while the cathode is still too cold to emit electrons.... this state can cause arcing inside the tube, destroying it easily...
i'm not sure how new sensor has improved their tubes, but even though tungsols may last in cathode followers these days, that doesn't mean, they will be doing so in a JVM, as the issue with JVM's are different, then the issue, with the same symptoms on other amps

Nev

Reaction score
So I tried a bunch of pre tubes from my collection. None of them made the amp roar. Nothing like my standand 410h that I sold recently. I'm either going to try some Tung Sol or some Svetlana tubes to see what happens. Maybe the bias is not set right. This thing should scream but it doesn't. Hmm....

Reaction score
Bias is known to be set cold from the factory.

Also, IMO, this amp needs the front end goosed to bring it to life.

booger007

Reaction score
My bias was way cold from the factory, setting it made quite a bit of difference. For me.

The amp for me is just too lose without something up front to boost it as LiveHard suggested. I use a TS808DX and this tightens it up quite a bit. Per some other recommendations I just got a MXR 10 band EQ I am going to put in the loop.

LiveHard, what would you say about your Creambacks with the HJS.?

I am going to plug them in to the regular JVM 410 today and see what they sound like with that.

I think if I could get the same feel and dynamics out of my regular 410 I would consider selling the HJS. In fact I am in the process of starrting some mods on my regular one. First step is to add a 3H choke which should be here any day

Reaction score
M-65/H-75 4x12 is an awesome mix, save the SPL difference.

M being looser, H being fuller, tighter and simply more of the M.

Like what others say......

I still think a T-75 4x12 provides a better balance of thump and grind the JS JVM was tuned for.

Nev

Reaction score
My bias was way cold from the factory, setting it made quite a bit of difference. For me.

The amp for me is just too lose without something up front to boost it as LiveHard suggested. I use a TS808DX and this tightens it up quite a bit. Per some other recommendations I just got a MXR 10 band EQ I am going to put in the loop.

LiveHard, what would you say about your Creambacks with the HJS.?

I am going to plug them in to the regular JVM 410 today and see what they sound like with that.

I think if I could get the same feel and dynamics out of my regular 410 I would consider selling the HJS. In fact I am in the process of starrting some mods on my regular one. First step is to add a 3H choke which should be here any day

+1 on the choke.
I thought my 2007 JVMh had more gain than the JVM JS. I actually put a choke in it myself, and had some extra gain added to the head. It was smokin'. What was done, I have no idea, but that thing was really amazing afterwards in OD2 Green. Waaay too much in Orange and Red. Should have reversed the gain mod a little but never did. I really only used it for OD2 and some clean. It seemed more than what I really needed it, and I have other amps to play. So it was $ sitting around. A case of GAS got me the JVM JS, but it's not living up to expectations so far.
I really don't want to and should'nt need to hit it in front. These are supposed to be enought without a pedal. My old one sure was pre mods.
Aggravating for sure...

Reaction score
IMO, the JS JVM has more than enough gain and I tend to use a lot.

For me, it only needs a boost to tighten up the bottom.

One approach: using a boost on Crunch Red provides the same gain as OD Red, but with less compression, so it thumps and barks more than OD Red.

I think it could be described as more of a lead amp.

Joe doesn't play much rhythm, let alone chugs.

The amp is more of a traditional circuit in that way.

Certainly not a 5150 III or the like.

Nev

Reaction score
I would agree. I put a Boss SD in front and ran Crunch Red, it was real nice. But to me, if that's the sound you like and use often, then you could get a JCM 900 or 2K for less $.

Pat6969

Reaction score
Man, I see it totally different than you guys. I am a high gain addict and this is the first amp(other than the 6505) I can run without an OD and it sounds tight as hell. I am using the G12T-75's, maybe that has something to do with it. I tried the V30, GB and G12H and didn't like any of them with the HJS. To me, the G12T's with this head is the ticket.
--Guitar>tuner>wah>PS-3 in front--
--Empress tape delay>Empress Nebulus>TC X2 in the loop--
=Giggling Pat!!

Nev

Reaction score
Man, I see it totally different than you guys. I am a high gain addict and this is the first amp(other than the 6505) I can run without an OD and it sounds tight as hell. I am using the G12T-75's, maybe that has something to do with it. I tried the V30, GB and G12H and didn't like any of them with the HJS. To me, the G12T's with this head is the ticket.
--Guitar>tuner>wah>PS-3 in front--
--Empress tape delay>Empress Nebulus>TC X2 in the loop--
=Giggling Pat!!

Just wondering, what Pre and Power tubes you got in yours?
Just to be clear, we're discussing the Crunch Red, not the OD1or 2 Red.

Pat6969

Reaction score
I have JJ ECC83 and JJ KT77's.

You're talking about adding an OD to the crunch to tighten it up, right? I found that channel exceptionally pleasing. Amber gives me that AC/DC crunch and the red gives me 80's metal or G&R. I really love that channel stock. Sounds like my old 800.