preamp boost or eq?

• Thread starter Skelly76
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EndGame00

Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISRZEy4-JQ"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BISRZEy4-JQ[/ame]

I was looking a "Plexi" in a pedal for my 15-watt Crate SS... This one looks and sounds interesting. I find this much more "plexi" sounding than the Tech21's version....

Ramble FX sells this direct though.... I'm probably gonna get this one...

Skelly76

Reaction score
Sounds like you know what you're doing Skelly.

I have a Boss EQ in the loop of my 4100, set almost exactly as in the pic that blues posted. I.e. the frown.

But with a DR it can be good to drop the highest slider (6.4k) down.
(People say the DRs can make too much treble if you're not careful.)

(The GE-7 did need the 'please shut up your hiss' mods.)

I don't play metal tones neither. I use my 4100 for covers mainly.

The consensus view here is that with most Marshalls you would use a tubescreamer (or other overdrive) up front just as a boost - i.e. crank up the level but don't use the drive.

Contra that, I find with the DR a little drive with my TS clone is very good. Works well with both channels too.

Meanwhile...
How do you find the low end with your DR?
Seems that lots of people find the DR lacking there. Personally, I find that my one has loads of bass but I think I'm the exception - and perhaps particularly lucky with that.
The low end is there, but its kinda loose sounding. I think with an eq, it will beef up really nice. I decided on the mxr 10 band. Im scouring ebay and reverb for a good price. In the meantime, i ordered a tungsol 12ax7 to try in v1. I hear a lot of good things on here about those in a 900. If I dont like it, I'll try it in the dsl. I run my screamer with the drive just above zero and get a good lead boost. I did the pepsi challenge last night with the ts9 and a joyo vintage od and the joyo seems a little crunchier. I havent decided which one gets the spot on the board yet.

Skelly76

Reaction score
Update: I was about to order an eq pedal, but after a lot of thought and research, I decided to sell the 4500 in favor of a 50 watt jet city halfstack. Thank you all for the great suggestions!

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Hey all. I have been lurking on this site for a while now and learned a lot from everyone. This is my first post here. I recently picked up a 1990 4500 dual reverb (El34). I got it as a backup for my dsl 100 but it was kinda weak. Had it retubed and cleaned all the contacts and it got a lot better. Still wasnt quite there. Even sounded kinda nasty with my ts9 in front. And yes, i was jumping the loop. Had an old behringer preamp boost laying around so i threw it in the loop and wow!!! Suddenly it sounds like a marshall! At the risk of offending anyone, I kinda prefer it to my dsl now. I was considering an mxr 10 band eq and was wondering if you guys think that might give me better results. My guitar is a les paul studio and style is hard rock/punk bordering on metal. Just thought I would get some opinions before dropping over $100 on the mxr. Thanks in advance!

I use that MXR-108 10 band and have nothing but good things to say about it. The boost is good and usable. Better to kill two birds with one stone rather than just have a boost IMO. -Rod-

SG~GUY

Reaction score
the EQ is probably the most "clean boost" you can get,...if you don't want to use the "EQ" section,..then set the sliders flat for the desired "boost"...

Depends upon what you're shooting for, more boost or more tonal sculpting than you currently have eh? Sure EQ's can be used as a boost but, do you need an EQ? If so, then get an EQ.

For whatever reason I haven't used or needed an EQ in years, and as some have alluded to here in posts, their EQ pedals sometimes sit and go unused. I can see myself using one if I amplify 1) An acoustic, 12 string, or dobro/resonator OR 2) A signal chain of effects that require overall EQing. Other than these two scenarios, I don't need them.