• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Preamp tube change = Brighter amp and still an issue:

• Thread starter 67mike
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

67mike

Reaction score
I came across a post on here where a set of tubes was suggested and tried by a fellow with good results....so I thought I would try it out.

I have a 2005 JCM 2000 DSL 100 H.

I pulled the original stock Marshall tubes and put in:

V1= Tung Sol 12ax7

V2= Mullard RI 12ax7

V3= JJ ECC83S

V4= Sovteck 12ax7 LPS.

The amp is certainly a lot brighter than it used to be. It sounds pretty good. But a bit on the bright side.....think it is the tong sol...I have tried them in the past in mesa's and was dissapointed. I think I might yank out the Tong Sol and throw another Mullard RI in there instead???????

Last edited:

Stringjunkie

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use mullard. Id keep the tung sol and go with jj on the rest and be done.

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Tung-sol pre's are really bright and don't let as much low end through.. you can really tell when you stack them VS something like JJ which will help give you back your lows and reduce highs some. The JJ's are also high gain like the tung sol so it's pretty much a straight EQ adjustment. (I'm talking all 12ax7's here of course)

In my 900 4100 DR I tried all tungsol once and it was a disaster, then I went all JJ pre's and it was great. In my class 5 it's a JJ in V1 and a Shug in V2 and nothing else compares! So it certainly is gonna vary from amp to amp. For the DSL, a mix of tungsol, JJ, and shug is probably gonna sound real nice. Or maybe 2 shugs and a jj. That'd be my first attempt for sure.

67mike

Reaction score
Hmmm.

So Try a JJ in V1 then?

Would the Tung Sol be OK in V3.....then I can put the JJ in V1???

PS: What is a Shug??? Not familiar with them?

iron broadsword

Reaction score
I'd try it, def. At the end of the day it'll just be your ears that have to decide though. Tube rolling is kind of a pain in the rear but once you get that magic combo you're golden.

67mike

Reaction score
I'd try it, def. At the end of the day it'll just be your ears that have to decide though. Tube rolling is kind of a pain in the rear but once you get that magic combo you're golden.

Yes.....I guess I should just leave the back panel off my amp for a while.....

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
The Shug is a Shuagang, Chinese tube. Not sure about the Mullard RI but NOS Mullard isn't too bright, same with RFT or CP JJs. If you can find an old RFT, Raytheon black plate or Mullard, grab it. They're worth it. Try it all! JJ or Mullard RI in V1, V2, leave Tung in V3....

Lyv2Ryd

Reaction score
I personally wouldn't use mullard. Id keep the tung sol and go with jj on the rest and be done.

I agree. I swapped in a Mullard 12ax7 in V1 and V2 to try it, and it really killed my tone. The Tung sol is hard to beat in V1 anyhow

67mike

Reaction score
Thanks guys.:wave:

I am going to try a different tube in place of the tung-sol....my hearing cannot take the ice-picky tone it is generating.:ugh:

67mike

Reaction score
Well.....I put the Mullard RI into v1 and moved the tung sol into v2...perfection....sounds Glorious!!!!!!

Joshabr1

Reaction score
NOS is the only way to go in the pre amp. The difference in tone is well worth what they cost and more. Right now some really good ones can be had fairly cheap. Buy from good seller and your ears will most surely thank you!

Skelly76

Reaction score
In my dsl 100 i have a jj in v1, and ehx in the other 3. The jj definitely seems to mellow out some of the treble. I never tried a tung sol in the dsl, but I have one in v1 of my jca 50h and it sounds fantastic.

67mike

Reaction score
Well....it is the 2nd amp I have tried a tung sol in....not impressed at all with them in v1.

Mullard on the other hand.....I love it in v1.

67mike

Reaction score
NOS is the only way to go in the pre amp. The difference in tone is well worth what they cost and more. Right now some really good ones can be had fairly cheap. Buy from good seller and your ears will most surely thank you!

What NOS tubes do you suggest? And who is a good guy to buy from?

Guitar-Sam

Reaction score
Best NOS dealers? I've had allots good stuff from terry Kilgore if he's still selling tubes.good results with kca nos also hear great things of hitest