Preamp tubes really do change the sound **noob here lol

• Thread starter Vegas strip
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Please understand I'm a total noob to tube amps.

Hey guys! Last week I knew 1 of my JJ ecc83 preamp tube in my 69 superbass was starting to go out after I swapped from V3 to V1. I had a few extra tubes that were in the amp after I bought it "Electro Harmonix" and a unbranded made in china ecc83. Surprisingly EH didn't light up at all and Made in China did lol.

After replacing the V1, I couldn't believe how much the sound changed in terms of gain, clarity and brightness. Perhaps tomorrow I will switch the V1 to V2 socket and hear how that sounds.

I forgot to mention I know I have a Raytheon brand tube but can't seem to find it right now. Are these any good?

Still waiting on my order from TubeDepot but can't wait to experiment with more tubes. I'm sick of changing guitar pickups and adjusting them when a simple tube swap could of done justice.

Any preamp tube recommendation for the ultimate 70s rock / hard rock sound. Currently I'm into Jimmy Page and his amp sound is awesome. Preferably enjoy the sound from How the west was won era, 73 SouthHampton tour, 75-79 tour sound. Not too big of a fan of the Garden tour. I know...... Something about it, I just don't like.

Thanks guys.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Though some people deny it, yes, preamp tube changes can change the tone of an amp considerably.

Not too long ago a friend sent me his later version 5150 for service because it sounded bad. I found it full of Chinese 12AX7s.

I swapped them out for a variety of other preamp tubes, a combination of Mullard, JJ, and EH reissues, and it made a substantial
change to the tone of the amp, for the better. It changed the amp from sounding quite bad to quite good. It was the most extreme
tonal change I've yet encountered by preamp tube changes only.

Last edited:

Vegas strip

Reaction score
If you like how the amp sounds after changing V1 why not just call it good?
Hi. This is the very first time tube experimenting and I just learned you don't have to use the same brand or same value.

By swapping that single tube, it really opened my ears on how it changed the sound and I'm still absorbing it but not sure if it could be my go to sound as I'm used to a trio of JJ Ecc83.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Though some people deny it, yes, preamp tube changes can change the tone of an amp considerably.

Not too long ago a friend sent me his later version for service because it sounded bad. I found it full of Chinese 12AX7s.

I swapped them out for a variety of other preamp tubes, a combination of Mullard, JJ, and EH reissues, and it made a substantial
change to the tone of the amp, for the better. It changed the amp from sounding quite bad to quite good. It was the most extreme
tonal change I've yet encountered by preamp tube changes only.
That's sweet! I just learned you could mix n match preamp tubes and I think I'm going to experiment some more.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After replacing the V1, I couldn't believe how much the sound changed in terms of gain, clarity and brightness. Perhaps tomorrow I will switch the V1 to V2 socket and hear how that sounds.

I forgot to mention I know I have a Raytheon brand tube but can't seem to find it right now. Are these any good?

Still waiting on my order from TubeDepot but can't wait to experiment with more tubes. I'm sick of changing guitar pickups and adjusting them when a simple tube swap could of done justice.

Any preamp tube recommendation for the ultimate 70s rock / hard rock sound. Currently I'm into Jimmy Page and his amp sound is awesome.
Identical amps can sound different.
Identical tubes can sound different.
Rolling tubes and finding a tone that you like involves some degree of random chance and dumb luck.
Imposible to say one of these tubes and one of those tubes is going to make your Superbass sound like LZ.
Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice...
rabit hole giphy.gif

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Mostly what happens is that it sounds better to you but unless you have a side-by-side comparison no one else hears the difference, except when you get into cork sniffing with tone lovers.
Now I'm starting to understand and I definitely hear the difference for sure.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Identical amps can sound different.
Identical tubes can sound different.
Rolling tubes and finding a tone that you like involves some degree of random chance and dumb luck.
Imposible to say one of these tubes and one of those tubes is going to make your Superbass sound like LZ.
Welcome down the rabbit hole, Alice...
View attachment 139897
Rabbit hole for sure lol. The superbass sounds freaking clutch especially when the bass is cranked!

Would be nice to have an amp that has all the sounds I like but I guess that's what amp plugins and modelers are for lol.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi. This is the very first time tube experimenting and I just learned you don't have to use the same brand or same value.

By swapping that single tube, it really opened my ears on how it changed the sound and I'm still absorbing it but not sure if it could be my go to sound as I'm used to a trio of JJ Ecc83.

Oh I get it, believe me I do. I opened that can of worms years ago and after a lot of experimenting and a lot of money spent over time I've got a bin full of spare tubes to prove it. I would recommend keeping track of what tubes you try and where. You might find a good sound and then lose it if you don't keep track of what swaps you're making. Learned that one from experience.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Mostly what happens is that it sounds better to you but unless you have a side-by-side comparison no one else hears the difference, except when you get into cork sniffing with tone lovers.
If I knew how to capture the room sound to share with you guys I would.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Oh I get it, believe me I do. I opened that can of worms years ago and after a lot of experimenting and a lot of money spent over time I've got a bin full of spare tubes to prove it. I would recommend keeping track of what tubes you try and where. You might find a good sound and then lose it if you don't keep track of what swaps you're making. Learned that one from experience.
Thanks for that tip and it didn't even cross my mind to document it. Guess the no name Made in China will be saved for sure.

Bought an RCA "clear top" as it's called from TubeDepot. Again I'm new with the technical aspect of tube amps but the website described it to deliver vintage sounds. Granted it's only 1 tube and a Ecc82 version. Only bought it because I've seen in Jimmy Page's picture book, he has a case full of RCA tubes but no idea which model lol.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
V1 is going to have the most impact on the tone.
I just swapped the Made in China V1 to the V2 and noticed another tonal change. Think it sounds better in the V1 position but way too early to come to conclusion on that. The amp sounds much brighter in a good way and more alive. Much cleaner sounding for sure and I want to say the JJ give a slight fizziness.

Thanks for the info!

Vegas strip

Reaction score
I pretty stoked finding out preamp tubes change the amp sound. Pretty shocked the no band name Made in China stamped Ecc83 woke the amp up in the V1 position with those JJ's lol.

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I pretty stoked finding out preamp tubes change the amp sound. Pretty shocked the no band name Made in China stamped Ecc83 woke the amp up in the V1 position with those JJ's lol.
I'm not surprised, JJs are known for being "dark" sounding. I like JJs ok, but not for V1.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Might be an old unbranded Shuguang tube.
They are typically bright, so probably be working well in the bass circuit for guitar tone.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
I'm not surprised, JJs are known for being "dark" sounding. I like JJs ok, but not for V1.
Really? Dang makes me want to return those jj I ordered lol. I need to check out tubedepot return policy and make keep 1 jj and try other brands.

Vegas strip

Reaction score
Might be an old unbranded Shuguang tube.
They are typically bright, so probably be working well in the bass circuit for guitar tone.
Nice. I'll try to upload a pic of it if I get the chance . wouldn't mind finding another for a spare.