Preamp Tubes? - Who, What, When, Where, Why, and How?

• Thread starter joshuaaewallen
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I checked your pic and I see it is from Tube World.

Edit: But I couldn't find it on their website. Please send link.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
OK. Just when you think you've seen everything...

Oil_tube-12AX7.JPG

A 12AX7 suspended in oil. They only have one left, because out of 6 tubes, five leaked oil. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it our or add it to their collection.

Parts N  Such

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I had to do an EBAY trolling bid on a couple of listings last night. This is where I put more money down than I want to in an attempt to win the items. Both listings were to expire around 5 AM CST.

I woke up and had a cup of coffee and got on the computer to see if I had caught any fish. Boy, I was surprised and very happy. I won a set of four RCA tubes, except these were Mullards made for RCA and I got them for $56!!! The seller emailed me and said they all tested at 100. That means they should test around 26-26 on my tester.

The next deal was a matched set of EL34's labeled EDICRON. However, they were made in "Gt. Britain." At first I thought they might be Mullards, but I looked online and actually found out that Edicron is a huge tube seller. So these are probably hand selected Russian tubes. I don't like it that they say, "Made in Gt. Britain" on them. Maybe I'll contact them and find out how they are getting away with this. They are a matched set that was tested on a TV-7. Note: These could be older Edicron's and they could be relabeled Mullards. I won't know until I get them. Anyway, I got them for $41. Regardless, that's a great price. I'm hoping they are older ones and Mullard's. That would be sweet.

So while I slept, I spent less than $100 on four Mullards 12AX7's and four "unknown at this time" EL34's.

:applause::applause::cheers::applause::applause:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had to do an EBAY trolling bid on a couple of listings last night. This is where I put more money down than I want to in an attempt to win the items. Both listings were to expire around 5 AM CST.

I woke up and had a cup of coffee and got on the computer to see if I had caught any fish. Boy, I was surprised and very happy. I won a set of four RCA tubes, except these were Mullards made for RCA and I got them for $56!!! The seller emailed me and said they all tested at 100. That means they should test around 26-26 on my tester.

The next deal was a matched set of EL34's labeled EDICRON. However, they were made in "Gt. Britain." At first I thought they might be Mullards, but I looked online and actually found out that Edicron is a huge tube seller. So these are probably hand selected Russian tubes. I don't like it that they say, "Made in Gt. Britain" on them. Maybe I'll contact them and find out how they are getting away with this. They are a matched set that was tested on a TV-7. Note: These could be older Edicron's and they could be relabeled Mullards. I won't know until I get them. Anyway, I got them for $41. Regardless, that's a great price. I'm hoping they are older ones and Mullard's. That would be sweet.

So while I slept, I spent less than $100 on four Mullards 12AX7's and four "unknown at this time" EL34's.

:applause::applause::cheers::applause::applause:

Scoring Mullards in your sleep for less than a bill...Redonkulous!

I wonder what those Edicon's will turn out to be? Hope you get lucky and get some Mullards hehe.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Oil_tube-12AX7.JPG

A 12AX7 suspended in oil. They only have one left, because out of 6 tubes, five leaked oil. Here's the link if anyone wants to check it our or add it to their collection.

Parts N* Such

Bizzaro!

People worry about a lil' finger oil getting on the tube...sheesh!

Here is the description:

Oil sealed tube. Jan GE 12AX7. Part of an interesting experiment to find out how the tube sounded when immersed in an oil environment. Sounded great. Very quiet and dark background in the soundstage. Problem was out of 6 tubes made, 5 leaked oil after a couple months. This is the sole remaining unit that has'nt leaked yet. About 4 years already. Tube is good as new. Was not use since then. No return if oil do leak. S$50.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score

Oil_tube-12AX7.JPG

Parts N* Such

I swear Ratt, you find the odd ball tubes. I wish they had four, I'd put them in my Marshall. Of course I would need to extend my chassis by about a foot.

I have never heard of "any" oil filled tube. And it's a JAN at that. I can see why the military rejected them.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
https://www.tubeworld.com/12ax7.htm Marty, the pic is about halfway down the page. Nothing exciting though.

I needa get a tube tester, I'm really curious as to how this thing tests.

Film Reels Have you guys seen this?

Well, when you don't have a tester, you use your ears. If it sounds good to you, that's all that matters. Remember 95 per cent of the tube testers can't test for microphonics. You can have a tube that tests good and it can be microphonic.

Jae

Reaction score
Hey all. I know this is off topic, but I won the bid five RCA short plate 12ax7s all NOS and unused for $76 US, plus the shipping and handling ><. Is this a good deal for NOS RCA?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Hey all. I know this is off topic, but I won the bid five RCA short plate 12ax7s all NOS and unused for $76 US, plus the shipping and handling ><. Is this a good deal for NOS RCA?

I had those on my "watch list." I'm glad I didn't bid or they would have sold for twice that.:fingersx::fingersx::fingersx:

I just bought the RCA Mullards and I decided that I'd rather have Mullards than more RCA's (I have around 200 of them).

That's a sweet price when you can get tubes for less than $20 each. That's cheaper than what a new CP tube costs, so what a bargin that is.

Those are nice sounding tubes. It all boils down to what you like. I guess I'll have to email you to determine whether or not you are bidding on tubes that I am looking at. Otherwise, we are going to cause the price to go up.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ok. It's moot now. I went ahead and pulled the trigger. From what I can find online, it looks like a 60's short plate ECC83 with what looks like the start of a Blackburn date code on the bottom right. One of the seams is visible on the top, too. Seller says it tested 1600/1575 on a Hickok 6000A, for whatever that's worth. Any more info would be appreciated.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
I bought it at 2 a.m. (insomnia + ebay = trouble), so I couldn't contact the seller. I can tell it starts with a B and that's good enough for now. This is going to be my first Mullard ECC83. I'm hoping Marty or someone can tell me what the Hickok numbers mean. The seller says minimum good is 1250.

ken361

Reaction score
I used to swear by nos, i bought a few off the net. I have 2 tele's, Rft,GE because seemed like all new production sounded compressed and crappy. Then i tried dougs penta labs 12ax7 its the groove tube mullard tube relabled. They sounded probley cleaner then the nos, good crunch all. then i thought about trying the mesa tubes again becaused I liked them before im my combo amps plus they test them, well these sounded the best yet!! nice crunch not compressed either. Seems like some amps like certain tubes maybe huh? well these are same as the JJ's 83's with the short plate maybe that why I like them. I have not tubed rolled yet on my marshall yet so i have to see what sounds best yet. any ideas whats in the jvm models?

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I bought it at 2 a.m. (insomnia + ebay = trouble), so I couldn't contact the seller. I can tell it starts with a B and that's good enough for now. This is going to be my first Mullard ECC83. I'm hoping Marty or someone can tell me what the Hickok numbers mean. The seller says minimum good is 1250.

Well if it's a 6681, that the later industrial number for a 12AX7A. It is also built to the same specs as a 7025A. This tube was made near the final collapse of the tube empire. Hence, Mullard filling an order for GE for this tube. In reality, it is probably a Mullard 7025A. Regardless, it is an above average tube.

As far as testing, it would have been nicer if the tubes read closer to 2000. The 1600/1575 is probably a 21-21 on my tester. It doesn't mean the tube is bad, it just means it was used. A least it is a nice, balanced tube.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I used to swear by nos, i bought a few off the net. I have 2 tele's, Rft,GE because seemed like all new production sounded compressed and crappy. Then i tried dougs penta labs 12ax7 its the groove tube mullard tube relabled. They sounded probley cleaner then the nos, good crunch all. then i thought about trying the mesa tubes again becaused I liked them before im my combo amps plus they test them, well these sounded the best yet!! nice crunch not compressed either. Seems like some amps like certain tubes maybe huh? well these are same as the JJ's 83's with the short plate maybe that why I like them. I have not tubed rolled yet on my marshall yet so i have to see what sounds best yet. any ideas whats in the jvm models?

There are many forum members who let us know that they like CP tubes and that's great. If you are happy with the sound they provide, then go for it. I keep saying that eventually, some of the current tube manufacturers will get it right and when that happens, I'll be buying their tubes. However, as long as I can get NOS tubes for 15 to 30 dollars each, that is what I will use and sell to others.

RiverRatt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Marty. The seller has a 7-day unconditional guarantee, so if I don't like it I can always return/exchange it. She appears to have several Mullards.
Why is the price so low on these tubes? I've seen several of these 1960's short plates going for $30 and under on eBay.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
Thanks Marty. The seller has a 7-day unconditional guarantee, so if I don't like it I can always return/exchange it. She appears to have several Mullards.
Why is the price so low on these tubes? I've seen several of these 1960's short plates going for $30 and under on eBay.

Who is it, Tina?

I wish I could give you an answer about EBAY prices. There are many things I look at before I bid. If I see something I like and the end of the auction is 10-12 hours away and there are only 3 or 4 bidders, that's one I usually do a hawk move on at the last 10 seconds. I win about 80 per cent of my auctions this way. However, sometimes I see a quad of Telefunken's go for $90 and then three hours later another quad goes for $225. I look at them and the tubes in both auctions are real Tele's and they test as new or almost new...so I don't know why one goes so high a few hours later.

I bought several quads of NOS Raytheon BP's and got them both for under $80. Now I am paying over $80 for four. I'm just glad I got some at a cheaper price. I feel real good when I make a good buy on tubes. The RCA Mullards I won a few days ago really was a sweet deal.

I've gotten pretty good at playing the EBAY game. It takes a little patience and the ability to get online often. I went from two to three computers and one of them is dedicated to being on EBAY 24/7. I've actually set my alarm and gotten up at around 3:30 AM to check bids or make a bid. Sometimes you have to get serious if you want to win.