PRS MT100 Review....

• Thread starter racerxrated
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

racerxrated

Reaction score
If any of you guys dig a boosted Recto tone, or Tremonti Alter Bridge tone look no further than the MT 100. For reference, I've had 2 G Dual Rectos(bloated low end no matter what pedal I used to boost), 2 G Triples (better, less mid honk and tighter with a boost vs the Duals), 2 F Triples (NOW were talking. More 3D/Rich/Organic than the Gs..great amps) and a rare early C Recto(BEST Mesa I've owned, even over 4 C+s)...this thing is amazing and worth every overpriced penny. Hits like an SLO, great lead tone and sounds like a modded SLO to be tighter and low mid prominent.

The MT 100 comes in at 1950 all in. Three channels, the clean I can set to sound identical to my 76 Twin. The OD channel is very mid heavy; great for a live lead channel. But you won't be dialing the mids out lol...I have the mids on 0 and it's still super middy.
The Lead channel is like a boosted Triple F, straight in. It's better than either G Triple I had, and sounds very close to the last F Triple I owned. Without A/Bing directly I can't say it's better, or identical but it's got that same 3D/Organic/rich tone going on. Plus, the lows are HUGE but stay tight, no boost needed.
Nothing else out there competes with this amp, for 2K....3 channels and great tone. EVHs are 700 more, the Bogner/Friedman stuff is almost 2x the price. Good feel too...and with the master at 9am, it thumps you vs just 'getting louder' like the 100w EVH amps.
It's a great amp.

jeffb

Reaction score
The demos I've seen are impressive. The clean channel and rhythm channel sound great to me. I'm not into his music but he seems to be very particular and guitars and amps with his name on it I've messed about with have impressed me. His core sig guitar is fantastic (definite lotto win buy for me) and the se guitars and 15w are great value pieces.

And he seems like a pretty straightforward dude

ufguy73

Reaction score
Nothing else out there competes with this amp, for 2K....3 channels and great tone. EVHs are 700 more, the Bogner/Friedman stuff is almost 2x the price. Good feel too...and with the master at 9am, it thumps you vs just 'getting louder' like the 100w EVH amps.
It's a great amp.

is the MT good enough that it could compete with EVH and/or Bogner/Friedman, if you took price out of the appeal? Like playwise and soundwise is it just plain as good as them for what it does?

racerxrated

Reaction score
is the MT good enough that it could compete with EVH and/or Bogner/Friedman, if you took price out of the appeal? Like playwise and soundwise is it just plain as good as them for what it does?
Absolutely, IMO. Now I've only had the experience of all the EVHs, 50 and 100, and 2 BE 100s, not owned a Bogner but have played an XTC and an Uber. It has great feel, fantastic clean, and the lead channel is killer and it's own thing. I personally value feel, clarity and bloom(does it punch you at volume? or just get loud?) and the MT is very touch sensitive, good clarity(have to dime the presence though, but it's a dark-ish amp so diming isn't a problem) and with the MV at 9am it hits you like a good Superlead. It is an amp that gives up nothing to any of those other brands IMO. Other than the fact it's made in Indonesia, which might bother some. I've had mine for a few months now and it's been great; I play it every day.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If any of you guys dig a boosted Recto tone, or Tremonti Alter Bridge tone look no further than the MT 100. For reference, I've had 2 G Dual Rectos(bloated low end no matter what pedal I used to boost), 2 G Triples (better, less mid honk and tighter with a boost vs the Duals), 2 F Triples (NOW were talking. More 3D/Rich/Organic than the Gs..great amps) and a rare early C Recto(BEST Mesa I've owned, even over 4 C+s)...this thing is amazing and worth every overpriced penny. Hits like an SLO, great lead tone and sounds like a modded SLO to be tighter and low mid prominent.

The MT 100 comes in at 1950 all in. Three channels, the clean I can set to sound identical to my 76 Twin. The OD channel is very mid heavy; great for a live lead channel. But you won't be dialing the mids out lol...I have the mids on 0 and it's still super middy.
The Lead channel is like a boosted Triple F, straight in. It's better than either G Triple I had, and sounds very close to the last F Triple I owned. Without A/Bing directly I can't say it's better, or identical but it's got that same 3D/Organic/rich tone going on. Plus, the lows are HUGE but stay tight, no boost needed.
It's a great amp.
Your description sure has it sounding good. The first demos ive seen i thought it was meh. I was even chalking that up to these guys not getting it dialed for the demos. I haven't looked at it since and don't see much about it either. I never liked the MT15 clips either. Maybe my ears are useless for high gain demos?lol

Im a Mark Tremonti fan though and watched his interviews around the making of the amp, how much time and R&D was put in. I think for me to know id have to actually play one. Like you have. Otherwise vids ive seen just leave me walking away. Forgettable.

Congrats on the amp and good to hear it rips and roars. Makes me happy for Mark!

racerxrated

Reaction score
Your description sure has it sounding good. The first demos ive seen i thought it was meh. I was even chalking that up to these guys not getting it dialed for the demos. I haven't looked at it since and don't see much about it either. I never liked the MT15 clips either. Maybe my ears are useless for high gain demos?lol

Im a Mark Tremonti fan though and watched his interviews around the making of the amp, how much time and R&D was put in. I think for me to know id have to actually play one. Like you have. Otherwise vids ive seen just leave me walking away. Forgettable.

Congrats on the amp and good to hear it rips and roars. Makes me happy for Mark!
Totally; I get it. For me, I tend to downplay clips of any amp, since it really can't give a true representation of any amp IMO, simply because being in the room/playing it will give you the feel, and thump/power section 'bloom' that clips can't do justice to. It's kinda like guys that rip on a Wizard amp, or 'aren't impressed' by the clips....a Wiz and SLO are amps that you HAVE to play for yourself if possible, because the monster power sections are key to their tone/response. I know that it's super hard to demo those amps; I tend to trust guys that own/have owned them for a real review. The MT is a cool alternative/modern type tonal option to my 3 Marshalls. You should be able to demo one since GC and other retailers are getting them in stock. Just make sure you crank the presence and try to get that master to 9am and it'll thump almost as much as my 72 Superlead.

I should mention though, that IF you don't care for a boosted/tighter Rectifier tone then you may not like it. I've had 1 Rev C, 2 Rev F Triples and the MT compares to the F in the clarity/3D/tonal richness category.
It's a cool amp and for a 3 channel new production amplifier, it's easily the best bang for the buck amp out there IMO.