Pups Suggestions

• Thread starter chromeboy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

chromeboy

Reaction score
I have a 25th anniversary Ibanez S model guitar that currently has two Dimarzio D activators and a true velvet in the middle. Now lately I find that they are sounding kinda thin and lack punch at least as compared to other guitars I have with emg's I them. I like the emg's bit also really like passive pups. Anyway I was thinking of putting in a duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck and a staggered duncan single coil in the middle. Now my S model has a mahogany body and a rosewood fretboard. Do you guy think this would be a good match for this guitar and if not what would you recomend. I play classic and melodic metal just you know. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I have a 25th anniversary Ibanez S model guitar that currently has two Dimarzio D activators and a true velvet in the middle. Now lately I find that they are sounding kinda thin and lack punch at least as compared to other guitars I have with emg's I them. I like the emg's bit also really like passive pups. Anyway I was thinking of putting in a duncan JB in the bridge and a Jazz in the neck and a staggered duncan single coil in the middle. Now my S model has a mahogany body and a rosewood fretboard. Do you guy think this would be a good match for this guitar and if not what would you recomend. I play classic and melodic metal just you know. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Irongear metal machine , look them up , just what you're after I would suggest .

royslead

Reaction score

If you like those pickups, yes, they are a good choice; and have been a classic combination together for a long time. I'm not really familiar with the staggered single coil you mentioned, but watch its out put compared to the others. You may have a noticeable volume drop if using it on its own.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think of an output drop. I was going with what the duncan website pickup selector was suggesting. I don't really use the middle pickup much but wanted a noiseless one. My true velvet I have in my guitar now is pretty noisy. Anyway I guess I was hoping to get some thoughts on which type of pups are best with certain woods like mahogany or basswood or alderwood . Anyway I appreciate the feedback and will consider what you all have said.

dreyn77

Reaction score
It'll look like an ibanez but it won't sound like the ibanez.

The audience won't be fooled, they might walk from the show.

I don't think you'll be happy with the Duncan's in there. More research is needed.

royslead

Reaction score
Yeah, I didn't think of an output drop. I was going with what the duncan website pickup selector was suggesting. I don't really use the middle pickup much but wanted a noiseless one. My true velvet I have in my guitar now is pretty noisy. Anyway I guess I was hoping to get some thoughts on which type of pups are best with certain woods like mahogany or basswood or alderwood . Anyway I appreciate the feedback and will consider what you all have said.[/QUOTE

That combination (the Jazz and JB) have been used in many different guitars, and I can tell you, they work well in a Mahogany bodied guitar; and the JB is definitely good in Alder (I have one in my Jackson). My Jackson uses a stacked single coil in the middle. It's output is nowhere near that of the JB, so switching back and forth has a dramatic change in volume. I have decided to goose it up a bit by putting another pickup I have used quite a bit in its place - the SD Hot Rails. Some people don't like them, they work for me. I expect the volume to be a bit closer, once I get around to installing it.

Solid State

Reaction score
Dark Matter pickup. All the thickness and clarity of a Super Distortion with a huge mid-range punch.

chromeboy

Reaction score
I will have to research it as far as the Duncan's go. As far as it sounding like an ibanez, I jidlst want it to sound good and get the sound I am looking for. I will consider what Obanez likes to pit onto their prestige and iron label guitars . I know they put emg's in some bit others they put in dimarzio tone zones in the bridge and an air norton in the neck so I may consider going that way. I do like the air Norton's as I have one on my old RG. I also have a Steves's special on the bridge and a true velvet in the middle on that guitar.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Just saw a video on you tube where a guy had an ibanes s470 that he put in a duncan JB in the bridge and a duncan custom stack plus in the middle and a duncan jazz in the neck. I thought it sounded great! I don't know about it not sounding like an Ibanez. Most people hate Ibanez pups and end up swapping them out for other pups so maybe sounding like an ibanez isn't all that great. I have an rg, an rg iron label, a arz iron label, a jem, and the 25th anniversary S. The iron label guitars both have emg's which I like and the jem has evo's. The regular rg has an air norton. A true velvet and a steves's special. The S anniversary has two d'activators and a true velvet. I think I will give the duncans a try in my S model. I can always pull them if I don't like them and maybe put them in one of my epi pauls.

ricksconnected

Reaction score
I thought it sounded great! I don't know about it not sounding like an Ibanez. Most people hate Ibanez pups and end up swapping them out for other pups so maybe sounding like an ibanez isn't all that great. .

Ibanez has some great sounding pickups. they do have their junk as does everybody else too though.

chromeboy

Reaction score
That is true but the pups that sound good are usually only on their prestige models or the iron label guitars that have either emg's or dimarzios.

chromeboy

Reaction score
Yeah I know but the video was impessive to me. Anyway, this is the guitar I am thinking of swapping pups in. The pic isn't my guitar but I have the same model and in the same color.

Attachments

• s1xxv full pic ver2.jpg
    s1xxv full pic ver2.jpg
    127.7 KB · Views: 6

Squidhunter

Reaction score
Gravity storm in the bridge and liquifire in the neck, cant go wrong. Perfect combo for shredding. The gravity storm is an amazingly versatile pickup, warm but articulate, harmonics galore. The liquifire is the best shred neck pickup ive ever played, fast runs sound so fluid and articulate and never gets muddy on the low notes.

dreyn77

Reaction score
You have an image, the guitar has an image.
The sound from the guitar creates an image.

You're changing the brand pickups and adding another image which the audience will have to workout what brand sound that they're hearing.
You mention Steve vai's sound, but Steve has done lots of homework into what he's doing for himself. He's spent decades researching all about creating fame, and you're just at the start of this process.

If you're linking yourself to steve's lead, you'll need to get more of his product and then you go from there.
Don't start off with general product from ibanez.

You won't get to benefit from steve's hardworking if you get the average brand product.

If people think you're Steve vai and all the rest of the gossip about playing vai's product, then you just brush off all that trash talk and get on with your life.
Nobody says drivers of Ferrari cars are actually enzo Ferrari.
But if you play the famous guitar, guys trash talk you.
Those people are mad!

Get yourself the playing experience you want! Get control of your public image!
Rock on!

wolf5150

Reaction score
Noiseless singles never work for me, there is always something missing besides the noise.
I'd suggest a Duncan SSL2 RWRP in the middle. It'll work brilliantly with the split humbuckers in positions 2&4 and the flat poles keep it out of the way of your picking hand.
I don't like the Jazz neck so I'd choose a different pickup, probably a Pearly Gates or WLH neck.
I'd keep the JB. Its number 1 for good reason.

wolf5150

Reaction score
I'd also use Suhr's HSH wiring scheme.
Absolutely brilliant.
Drop them an email and they'll send the diagram if Google doesn't help.