purchasing a JCM 800 2204, advice please!

• Thread starter ToddOwnz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ToddOwnz

Reaction score
Hey all! It's definitely been a while since I've been on here...anyways, I've located an 800 2204 with vertical input jacks on c-list. Apparently it had an effects loop at one point and the seller says he had a confident tech remove it and put it back to stock. Obviously the holes are still in the back plate for the jacks themselves. I was curious if this affected the value at all? We settled on 900 bucks. Fair deal? Thanks in advance! :shred:

Joshabr1

Reaction score
That's fair. U could have found one untouched for very similar $$ though

stalefish

Reaction score
That's fair. U could have found one untouched for very similar $$ though

Not likely. An untouched stock original vertical input 2204 for less than $1000? Good luck with that.

If, big if, if the removed effects loop is indeed removed correctly and everything is put back to stock factory fresh condition, then $900 is a steal, even with the holes. Verify that it is indeed supposed to have EL34s, or that the conversion was done correctly.

Maklaca

Reaction score
At that price, there is always some give and take. If it is in decent shape, except a couple of holes in the back, that is a pretty good deal.

I got mine for $800, ('81 jmp, but same thing) but the box was beat on and it needed new output tubes. I know that is rare, so I had to take it. It's all about the trade-offs.

Last edited:

Msharky67

Reaction score
I got mine an 83' for $950 unmolested. $900 is a fair price for being put back stock. The prices of these keep going up why I don't know but I wouldn't hesitate to get it if everything else checks out. What does the box look like? God knows Marshall will never reissue these again!

keennay

Reaction score
Ask for photos of the circuit. Other than that, it seems like a good price!

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
it depends on the region but $900-$1000 here (Nashville area) unmolested & stock is about avg.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The holes are drilled, the damage is done. Obviously youre buying it to use and not keep as a collectors item otherwise you wouldn't buy this one, I'd take it to a tech to make sure the amp itself checks out ok and then have him put an fx loop back in. You will get way more functionality out of it this way. Member NewReligion can tell you which is the best loop, he has successfully installed them in several amps similar to yours. Congrats on the new amp!

ToddOwnz

Reaction score
The holes are drilled, the damage is done. Obviously youre buying it to use and not keep as a collectors item otherwise you wouldn't buy this one, I'd take it to a tech to make sure the amp itself checks out ok and then have him put an fx loop back in. You will get way more functionality out of it this way. Member NewReligion can tell you which is the best loop, he has successfully installed them in several amps similar to yours. Congrats on the new amp!

I was thinking about that...the FX loop would be great to have that's for sure. Do you think it's not going to retain its value with the extra holes that have been drilled?

Platner

Reaction score
If it is a USA export model it would have come with 6550 power tubes. If it has EL34's in it instead I would check to see if it has been converted for their use. If it has been converted I would make sure it has been converted correctly. There are several excellent threads on this forum that get into this topic. These are great amplifiers!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I was thinking about that...the FX loop would be great to have that's for sure. Do you think it's not going to retain its value with the extra holes that have been drilled?

If it were in mint condition then I'd worry about value but since its not I would just enjoy it and make it as functional as possible. Mine is untouched other than I had it converted to EL34, a loop would be a plus in functionality IMO. As mentioned these amps came with 6550 tubes, make sure a tech looks to see if yours was converted to EL34 properly.

klaatutooyou

Reaction score
Off topic a bit . but I have an 86 2204 with el 34,s .did it come with 6550's? ( just to inform myself )
I wouldn't consider changing it back as I am so happy with it .I smile everyday when I play it .

I,m a novice but I,d throw down the 900.00 that's what I paid for the 86.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
Off topic a bit . but I have an 86 2204 with el 34,s .did it come with 6550's? ( just to inform myself )
I wouldn't consider changing it back as I am so happy with it .I smile everyday when I play it .

I,m a novice but I,d throw down the 900.00 that's what I paid for the 86.

yes,if it should have come w/ 6550's if it was an export model.

Latest posts