• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Randy on Eddie

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Ed never said he invented tapping. Good Lord give it a rest LOL

thats so funny isnt it? tapping has been dont on violin longer than anybody currently
on earth has been alive, since the 16th century actually. seeing as how the violin
was derived from the rebec and the rabab probably was dont on those things as well.
its funny that its been around possibly all that time and 1 man, a guitarist, took it and
made the technique a world wide amazement. Ed VanHalen.

but do realize how often the statement "eddie didnt invent tapping man"
is used as a only defense but most cant tell you as much as i just have about
the tapping technique and i still dont know shit about its origins lol.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
thats so funny isnt it? tapping has been dont on violin longer than anybody currently
on earth has been alive, since the 16th century actually. seeing as how the violin
was derived from the rebec and the rabab probably was dont on those things as well.
its funny that its been around possibly all that time and 1 man, a guitarist, took it and
made the technique a world wide amazement. Ed VanHalen.

but do realize how often the statement "eddie didnt invent tapping man"
is used as a only defense but most cant tell you as much as i just have about
the tapping technique and i still dont know shit about its origins lol.
+1. I had the pleasure of working for the late Dave Bunker Sr. (RIP) in the early 2000's and he was a pioneer in the world of tapping and he taught me a lot. He also taught me more than just how to build and fix guitars. He was a friend and he will be missed. (It was just recent he passed and I had just talked to him a couple of weeks before it happened so I'm still processing it)

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
+1. I had the pleasure of working for the late Dave Bunker Sr. (RIP) in the early 2000's and he was a pioneer in the world of tapping and he taught me a lot. He also taught me more than just how to build and fix guitars. He was a friend and he will be missed. (It was just recent he passed and I had just talked to him a couple of weeks before it happened so I'm still processing it)

damn. sorry to hear this. i assume this is Dave Bunker of Bunker guitars?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
being a ass hole doesnt take away from one accomplishments lol.
ask richard blackmore, YJM, chuck berry, the list goes on.
oh and Ed is also in the Smithsonian.

go read the John Stix interview where he talked about doing several of Ed's licks live.
or go read where randy's girlfriend Jan McGuire talks about how DEVESTATED Randy was
after seeing Ed play for the first time.

https://eddietrunk.com/listen-to-randy-rhoads-playing-some-van-halen-riffs/

https://selvedgeyard.com/2013/11/21...ie-van-who-and-the-riff-that-saved-ozzys-ass/

in case you miss it........ and this very story has been printed in several books and mags over the yrs too
but IM SURE its all lies :rolleyes: lol

“The very first time Randy Rhoads saw Van Halen, he took his girlfriend Jan with him. Jan told us that Randy was ‘devastated’ after the show. Here he was, the king of Burbank. Everyone was always telling him how great he was. Then he saw Eddie and it opened his eyes and he got a major reality check. It was healthy for him. He was inspired. He thought Eddie was great. He wanted to be great also. I know they met at least four times.

Max Norman:
"Van Halen was one of the few guitarists Randy would talk about. One day I asked him, 'What guitar players do you like, Randy?' And he said, 'I like Eddie Van Halen.' I had never seen Eddie play, so when Randy started doing all that finger tapping stuff, it was all new to me. But Randy didn't cop Eddie's licks, he just picked up on some of his ideas and methods of playing. It's only natural to get something from someone else - all guitarists do it."

Rudy Sarzo"Later on he came to really admire Gary Moore and Eddie Van Halen. Those were his top two guys."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/randy-rhoads-eddie-van-halen/

the list just goes on and on and on lol.

im gonna go ahead and seal this one up for the win.
back in the early mid 80's and randy had only been gone a short while
a good friend of mine and i had a grand opportunity to talk to
Delores Rhodes for a good while as we listen to stories about randy's childhood
and his limited career. she enjoyed talking with us just as much as we enjoyed talking to her.
one of the many questions she ask us is if Randy was one of our influences in our
own journey to playing and understanding the guitar. my reply was of course "yes,
one of several". she asked me who else i liked and i told her Ace Frehley and Eddie VanHalen.
she replied that Randy also liked EVH and she mentioned that she though kiss was cool.
so there ya have it. if you do a search i mentioned a couple times on here over the yrs
of my/our fortunate conversation with Delores. she was a very nice lady and didnt skip a beat
in answering our questions about Randy or what it was like to be his mom. -DONE

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Go to :56 and see Pagey play with the tapping in i think 75.

not tapping, that's a form of flamenco picking...

kind of noisy on the frets, for effect, but, no notes on the right hand are actually tapped/played...

I play in that realm, w/ a pick, all the time & fingers as well. On bass too. Geezer would play up there as well, as JPJ.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
That was in a GP with Mark Knopfler on the cover if memory serves me right. And it was bullshit then and it's bullshit now - and I am a big fan of most things Joe Walsh has done outside the Eagles. I'm also a HUGE Albert King fan. I never stated anything to the effect the EVH is the be all end all of guitar gods. I pointed out rightfully so that his impact was easily as big as Hendrix's impact, and in fact larger. EVH changed the way we play, and the way manufacturers build guitars and amps. I can say that with absolute confidence while at the same time still recognizing the enormity of Hendrix's influence. Nobody ever came close, till a Dutch boy out of Pasadena came along. I can't really think of anyone who has had an impact like either of those guys since.

On a side note, stand up would be a good choice for you, I'd go see your set! :applause::cheers:

Nope, no cigar..Apparently your memory's not all that great LOL..:rolleyes:

It was Joe himself on the cover. I'm looking at the actual copy of the magazine from April '88 as I type this..I had it out recently and so knew where it was.

I don't know why you call "bullshit", as Joe didn't say anything derogatory about EVH..In fact the quote, which I typed word for word from the interview praised Ed for his technical ability. But not his quad-wanking flurry of notes style of soloing..I suppose Joe, like myself, just comes from a different place musically. Different strokes for different folks! :D

I remember when I first read that article back in '88 thinking "Wow, Joe's probably going to piss off a lot of EVH worshippers with that statement!" as Ed was then as now regarded as a sort of sacred cow that NOBODY should dare to do anything but praise.

In addition to the ones I've already cited, here's my very short list of players that I would listen to over EVH:

-Les Paul
-B.B. King
-Buddy Guy
-Warren Haynes
-Jimmy Herring
-John Cipollina
-Frank Marino
-Johnny Winter
-Uli Roth
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Joe Pass
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Ritchie Blackmore
-Larry Carlton
-Al Dimeola

And of course plenty of others I won't waste my time listing..Randy Rhoades being one of them by the way! Any of those guys could sink Ed's ship, but that's just my humble opinion, which if you put 98 cents with you might be able to buy a small coffee at the local convenience store..:p

As for doing stand-up, I think I'll stick with playing guitar..I'm pretty sure you would be the only one in the audience who would be laughing! :lol:

Last edited:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Van Halen(5) - YouTube

^^^Audio of the SNL performance being discussed

Below are G.E. Smith's thoughts on it...I'll agree with G.E. Smith, himself a fantastic player.
G.E. Smith on Eddie Van Halen and Eric Clapton on "Saturday Night Live" - EMMYTVLEGENDS.ORG - YouTube

Thanks for posting that! Cool.

G.E.'s a nice guy, and so wouldn't say anything bad about Eddie..Maybe I was of the three people he mentioned? Cuz' I heard something very wrong with that performance..But I didn't hear mistakes, I heard a solo that didn't fit at all with the style of music being played!

And Ed wasn't the only one who bombed while jamming with G.E.'s band..The same thing happened with David Gilmore (another guitarist who's playing I love), when it came his turn to solo it sounded he just kicked on a lot of effects, and it just didn't work!

And even Joe Walsh could have his moments..I remember watching an awards ceremony of some kind back in the day, and they had assembled one of those "all star bands" to do a short jam, which included Joe..He was the last to do a solo, and all he did was kick on an echo and run his slide up and down the neck..Once. And that was it! :scratch:

Pretty lame for a player of his ability, but at that time I think he was staying wasted a lot ..:noplease:

Last edited:

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Nope, no cigar..Apparently your memory's not all that great LOL..:rolleyes:

It was Joe himself on the cover. I'm looking at the actual copy of the magazine from April '88 as I type this..I had it out recently and so knew where it was.

I don't know why you call "bullshit", as Joe didn't say anything derogatory about EVH..In fact the quote, which I typed word for word from the interview praised Ed for his technical ability. But not his quad-wanking flurry of notes style of soloing..I suppose Joe, like myself, just comes from a different place musically. Different strokes for different folks! :D

I remember when I first read that article back in '88 thinking "Wow, Joe's probably going to piss off a lot of EVH worshippers with that statement!" as Ed was then as now regarded as a sort of sacred cow that NOBODY should dare to do anything but praise.

In addition to the ones I've already cited, here's my very short list of players that I would listen to over EVH:

-Les Paul
-B.B. King
-Buddy Guy
-Warren Haynes
-Jimmy Herring
-John Cipollina
-Frank Marino
-Johnny Winter
-Uli Roth
-Stevie Ray Vaughn
-Joe Pass
-Yngwie Malmsteen
-Ritchie Blackmore
-Larry Carlton
-Al Dimeola

And of course plenty of others I won't waste my time listing..Randy Rhoades being one of them by the way! Any of those guys could sink Ed's ship, but that's just my humble opinion, which if you put 98 cents with you might be able to buy a small coffee at the local convenience store..:p

As for doing stand-up, I think I'll stick with playing guitar..I'm pretty sure you would be the only one in the audience who would be laughing! :lol:
Yeah, well it was the 80's and I was a teen. I'll let you put the peices together about my memory being off on what issue. The bullshit part was when Joe said that Albert could blow Ed off the stage with two notes. I love Albert King, he's my favorite of the three Kings and he absolutely slays me when I hear his tone. But it was pure hyperbole on Joe's part. Joe wasn't known for being clear headed back then.

You're allowed your favorites, just like anyone else. But what I find amusing is those who try to downplay the impact Edward had. That's not reality regardless if he's yours or someone else's favorite.

That's a fine list of players you started with, I like 'em all. If you were telling jokes that were funny I'd laugh, if you were playing music likely not. :cheers:

Sapient

 
Reaction score
im gonna go ahead and seal this one up for the win.
back in the early mid 80's and randy had only been gone a short while
a good friend of mine and i had a grand opportunity to talk to
Delores Rhodes for a good while as we listen to stories about randy's childhood
and his limited career. she enjoyed talking with us just as much as we enjoyed talking to her.
one of the many questions she ask us is if Randy was one of our influences in our
own journey to playing and understanding the guitar. my reply was of course "yes,
one of several". she asked me who else i liked and i told her Ace Frehley and Eddie VanHalen.
she replied that Randy also liked EVH and she mentioned that she though kiss was cool.
so there ya have it. if you do a search i mentioned a couple times on here over the yrs
of my/our fortunate conversation with Delores. she was a very nice lady and didnt skip a beat
in answering our questions about Randy or what it was like to be his mom. -DONE

Win what? I'm confused.

DaDoc

Reaction score
Yeah, well it was the 80's and I was a teen. I'll let you put the peices together about my memory being off on what issue. The bullshit part was when Joe said that Albert could blow Ed off the stage with two notes. I love Albert King, he's my favorite of the three Kings and he absolutely slays me when I hear his tone. But it was pure hyperbole on Joe's part. Joe wasn't known for being clear headed back then.

You're allowed your favorites, just like anyone else. But what I find amusing is those who try to downplay the impact Edward had. That's not reality regardless if he's yours or someone else's favorite.

That's a fine list of players you started with, I like 'em all. If you were telling jokes that were funny I'd laugh, if you were playing music likely not. :cheers:

I'm not trying to downplay the impact Eddie had, that's a fact, plain and simple..He was the first player after the late 60's-early '70's guitarists (Hendrix, Page, Clapton, ect) to really shake things up..And his impact will always be there, just as the impact of the guys who came before him will be!

All I'm saying is that his style, although unmistakable, got pretty cliche'd and boring after a while..At least it did for me.

And I still think G.E. blew him out of the water that night, the event has always stood out in my mind as an example of how no matter how good a player is, they can still have an offnight or sound totally out of place in certain contexts. In truth, I was also rather disappointed that he didn't play better than he did, especially considering his ability..:shrug:

But again, that's just me, and I've always been more into Blues-based playing and soloing than the school of shredding.

Latest posts