• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Randy on Eddie

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
The FUCK he didn't. Hendrix put the guitar on center stage. Far more creative than Eddie!!
"Far more creative than Eddie!!"

Laughable statement. They were both very creative. EVH also put the guitar center stage and brought Rock back to the masses drowning in disco.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Strange I don't hear any of "Eddie's" supposed influence in Randy's playing. Rhoads was his own style (and influence) with Osbourne. Ozzy gave him a lot of creative leash.
Well Randy said it himself, so I guess it was more than "supposed". I have also read it several times in RR interviews. Refer to the video in the OP.

And mostly he was referring to using the tapping technique EVH popularized, not phrasing.

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
"Far more creative than Eddie!!"

Laughable statement. They were both very creative. EVH also put the guitar center stage and brought Rock back to the masses drowning in disco.

Eddie was following in Hendrix shadow..

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
That was a fun performance on SNL. They both seemed to enjoy it.
Speaking of tapping. lol. Sorry, Ed. This guy did before you and better. And on an acoustic!

The FUCK he didn't. Hendrix put the guitar on center stage. Far more creative than Eddie!!

You will never convince die hard fans their guy isn't god.
Not being a humongous fan of either I think I'm being a bit more objective than some others here. Hendrix was The. Game. Changer. The rest are runner ups.

Lo-Tek

Reaction score
"In his latest freewheeling attack on his former group in the pages of Rolling Stone, the Red Rocker says he suspects the band is using all old songs for their new record, and goes on to indicate that guitar maestro Eddie Van Halen, for all his talent, isn't able to write songs on his own....
When told of Eddie's claims to have all kinds of new music written, Hagar laughingly says, "Well, they really aren't songs," then goes on to explain, "It was always easy for me to write songs with Ed. He had all these parts, and I had all these ideas... but it wasn't like he wrote instrumentals and I just had to write lyrics over them, like I do now with (Chickenfoot guitarist) Joe Satriani."

Read More: Sammy Hagar Says Eddie Van Halen Can’t Write Songs | https://ultimateclassicrock.com/sam...songs/?utm_source=tsmclip&utm_medium=referral

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Eddie was following in Hendrix shadow..
And everyone since EVH is following in his shadow that he cast farther and wider than Hendrix ever did. Good grief, why is it so hard for Hendrix fans to admit the impact EVH had? It doesn't lesson Hendrix's impact.

This is silly.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
That was a fun performance on SNL. They both seemed to enjoy it.
Speaking of tapping. lol. Sorry, Ed. This guy did before you and better. And on an acoustic!

You will never convince die hard fans their guy isn't god.
Not being a humongous fan of either I think I'm being a bit more objective than some others here. Hendrix was The. Game. Changer. The rest are runner ups.

Ed never said he invented tapping. Good Lord give it a rest LOL

MarshallDog

Reaction score
You guys need to settle this dispute like men and whip yer cocks out.

giphy.gif

zachman

Reaction score
I remember reading an interview with Brad in which he said "My amp is a Boogie and I love it!"

Later that same year I saw Night Ranger in concert and he was using a Marshall..:shrug:
When I saw him w/ Ozzy in Hawaii-- He was using Mesa/Boogies

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Strange I don't hear any of "Eddie's" supposed influence in Randy's playing. Rhoads was his own style (and influence) with Osbourne. Ozzy gave him a lot of creative leash. Not to take away from his skills but Eddie could be an asshole (on a personal level - As shown in the video)..

being a ass hole doesnt take away from one accomplishments lol.
ask richard blackmore, YJM, chuck berry, the list goes on.
oh and Ed is also in the Smithsonian.

go read the John Stix interview where he talked about doing several of Ed's licks live.
or go read where randy's girlfriend Jan McGuire talks about how DEVESTATED Randy was
after seeing Ed play for the first time.

https://eddietrunk.com/listen-to-randy-rhoads-playing-some-van-halen-riffs/

https://selvedgeyard.com/2013/11/21...ie-van-who-and-the-riff-that-saved-ozzys-ass/

in case you miss it........ and this very story has been printed in several books and mags over the yrs too
but IM SURE its all lies :rolleyes: lol

“The very first time Randy Rhoads saw Van Halen, he took his girlfriend Jan with him. Jan told us that Randy was ‘devastated’ after the show. Here he was, the king of Burbank. Everyone was always telling him how great he was. Then he saw Eddie and it opened his eyes and he got a major reality check. It was healthy for him. He was inspired. He thought Eddie was great. He wanted to be great also. I know they met at least four times.

Max Norman:
"Van Halen was one of the few guitarists Randy would talk about. One day I asked him, 'What guitar players do you like, Randy?' And he said, 'I like Eddie Van Halen.' I had never seen Eddie play, so when Randy started doing all that finger tapping stuff, it was all new to me. But Randy didn't cop Eddie's licks, he just picked up on some of his ideas and methods of playing. It's only natural to get something from someone else - all guitarists do it."

Rudy Sarzo"Later on he came to really admire Gary Moore and Eddie Van Halen. Those were his top two guys."

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/randy-rhoads-eddie-van-halen/

the list just goes on and on and on lol.

Latest posts