Rated power VS. Musical power....

• Thread starter sinner 13
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sinner 13

Reaction score
So I am seeing a lot of speaker Co.'s rating speakers this way.
I.E.:
Rated power is 35w, but musical power(a new term to me...:scratch:)
@ 70w....

this just seems confusing to me.

FutureProf88

Reaction score
I believe that it is peak power. So 35 watts is the continuous power rating that the speaker will handle, but it will handle power spikes of up to 75 watts for a very short amount of time.

Similar to RMS vs peak power of an amplifier.

VanR

Reaction score
Everything used to be rated in RMS, then the marketing folks got involved. They tell you the peak power and then when you burn the voice coils out they say no warranty because you over-powered them. Which you did. This is especially true in PA speakers.

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
Also, amps are rated very subjectively. My x100b (100 watts) throws a TONS more power/volume than my 2466. I don't run my x100b through any cab with less than 150 watts of speakers....preferably 300 watts.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Loudspeaker companies usually give continuous/average power rating and sometimes included musical/program and peak ratings.

Some companies specify rms which is similar to continuous/average.

Which speakers are being referenced?

Add
It is best for bass and guitar speaker's continuous/average (or rms) to match or exceed that of the musical amplifier.
The musical/program and peak ratings are additional information if needed depending on usage.

Last edited: