Ready to buy -WELL THAT DIDN'T WORK

• Thread starter JDavidAdrihan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JDavidAdrihan

Reaction score
Hello again,

I posted a while back looking for advice on a home rig and asked for advice on the DSL1 bundle. I have sold a couple of instruments and now have the funds. After getting advice in that post and spending some time reading posts and researching youtube posts I think I have decided on the SC20H. It is a difficult decision between that and the SV20H or the less cost DSL's but I think for me wanting more of the 80's sound and having the master volume it is the SC. So after researching it looks like a can get a used SC head for under $1000 and a 4x12 cab for $300-$800 depending on the speakers. I also ran across the Thomann site and I found some posts with happy customers so with that said why would I or why would I not want to buy from them? I can get a new SC20H for $769+$33 shipping and this 4x12 cab with vintage speakers, which seem to be highly thought of. Anyway I am still open to any suggestions. I want the 80's hard rock, heavy metal sound, I don't plan on gigging and I can play fairly loud with out a visit by the police. Here is what I am thinking of:
60477-97228c0484802cd66684c815cbf8c3be.jpg
60478-921e16a37c5d24de163bf4c4518def52.jpg

Attachments

• head.PNG
    head.PNG
    19.7 KB · Views: 28
  • Cab.PNG
    Cab.PNG
    14.5 KB · Views: 28

Shane Stevenson

Reaction score
I have the SC20H/sc212 cab and the sV20h/matching cab, so naturally I think both of these amps are great!

I noticed you posted that your buying a home rig. Personally, I’d get get 1X12 or 2X12 cab for that. Your decision on the Studio Classic is a good call if your mainly using it at home. I like my SV better, but my SC will get much more home use.

It just seems like that 4X12 cab will be a little much for the house but that’s just my opinion. I’m completely happy with my SC212 and my SV212 cabs. Great speakers (with break in), great bottom and resonant hollow feel, and yes, those cabs do have punch.

Good luck and congrats!!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello again,

I posted a while back looking for advice on a home rig and asked for advice on the DSL1 bundle. I have sold a couple of instruments and now have the funds. After getting advice in that post and spending some time reading posts and researching youtube posts I think I have decided on the SC20H. It is a difficult decision between that and the SV20H or the less cost DSL's but I think for me wanting more of the 80's sound and having the master volume it is the SC. So after researching it looks like a can get a used SC head for under $1000 and a 4x12 cab for $300-$800 depending on the speakers. I also ran across the Thomann site and I found some posts with happy customers so with that said why would I or why would I not want to buy from them? I can get a new SC20H for $769+$33 shipping and this 4x12 cab with vintage speakers, which seem to be highly thought of. Anyway I am still open to any suggestions. I want the 80's hard rock, heavy metal sound, I don't plan on gigging and I can play fairly loud with out a visit by the police. Here is what I am thinking of:
60477-97228c0484802cd66684c815cbf8c3be.jpg
60478-921e16a37c5d24de163bf4c4518def52.jpg
Good choice! I'd go with the 2x12 they are plenty loud.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I think I would be happy with a 2x12 - I was leaning towards 4x12 because on a post in the cab forum I got a lot of advice that if you did not have to haul a 4x12 around that would be the best full sound.
I have to agree with that advice. Needing more volume is not why a lot of guys prefer 4x12's (at least not the case with me). While a 4x12 will allow you to play at higher volumes (more power handling), they sound great at all volumes. Since you say you play "loud", that's more reason to go with a 4x12 (IMO), as you would definitely hear the difference between a 4x12 and a smaller cab. Heck, I prefer the sound of my SC and SV through two 4x12's. But keep in mind, a good 2x12 will always sound better than a crappy 4x12, so it's not just about size, it's also about quality. It's also about how you're using the cab, filling a room with sound ("in the room" sound) is totally different than mic'ing one speaker in a cab. If you were a guy that never played any louder than conversation levels, or played out mic'ing one speaker to PA, a smaller cab would make more sense. My 2 cents.

Last edited:

Trelwheen

Delicious AND Satisfying
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never bought from Thomann but from what I hear they're a reputable dealer.

Regarding the 4 x 12....if you're able to use it to its full potential and you can afford it, go for it. It's what you really want and they sound just grand. Just don't get one with cheap speakers.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any comments on buying from Thomann UK ?

Thomann is located in Germany and is the largest shop in Europe, fantastic service and support.

The Harley Benton Cabs is OK, fantastic prices, but the Tolex is a little thin.

I would use a 1*12 or a 2*12 for home use with the SC20H

Last edited:

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
A 4x12 is the way to go, but as mentioned repeatedly, a good one. Don't fall prey to the cheap prices of the horrid MG series 4x12. Even better speakers don't make that particle board box sound much better!
Just My $.02,
Gene

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think I would be happy with a 2x12 - I was leaning towards 4x12 because on a post in the cab forum I got a lot of advice that if you did not have to haul a 4x12 around that would be the best full sound.
Go for the matching 2x12 cab, it will be a nice match and sound great. I only use 2x12 cabs easy to haul around and they sound plenty big, of course a 4x12 would sound even bigger but for home I don't think you really need it. :yesway:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Go with a 4x12. And this is coming from a guy that has a couple of 1x12 cabs along with a 2x12 2061CX. All are great and different but at home volumes the 4x12 has a nice fill to the sound.

In my experience I've actually thought my open back 1x12 sounded louder in some ways because it fills the room with sound kind of like surround sound whereas my 1960AX is way more directional. Of course these are obvious traits as that is what each cabs strengths are but point being is i don't think a 4x12 is too loud for home use. To me it doesn't turn a 20 watt head into something unusable.

The other side of the argument is at volume a 1x12 or 2x12 will get more pushed speaker in the tone which comes across different.

If I'm going for a blues rig i tend to go with a 1x12. The 4x12 for rock with the 2x12 the happy medium.

Gene Ballzz

Reaction score
....wth, since when are the SC's $500+ below MSRP???

That, my friend, is a VERY good question!

On another note, one of the benefits of a 4x12 is that most are closed back and closed back tends to be much more focused/directional, as opposed to filling a room with the out of phase backwash of an open back speaker! This makes the 4x12 actually a bit easier to control, etc, not to mention it'll do a better job of "ticklin' yer jingle bells!"

'Tis The Season, After All! :naughty:
Gene

DLW

Reaction score
In order of importance

1- Good Amp(you got that covered)

2- Good speakers-the best for your can afford

3- size of cab- 4-12 always sounds better if you got the space and will not be hauling around. I just checked and that Harley Benton cab already is wired for stereo or mono. It says the housing is made of 16mm plywood. I dont know if by housing they are refering to just the speaker baffle/board or the whole box but its at least the baffle board. Good enough! With those speakers I do not think you could find a better deal anywhere.

4-cab material. Sure baltic birch and solid wood are ideal but good speakers how many are money better spent. Good speakers sound better with MDF cab then fair speakers sound with the finest materials available cab.

Your amp on a 4/12 will leave a little room on each side for pedals, picks a lava lamp and some beer. You will be all set! Enjoy!

Last edited:

bigbadorange

Reaction score
Ill toss some more info into the confusion. The 1965 a/b cabs are awesome, they are 4x10 and a lot smaller and lighter than a 4x12 but still have the "sound" of a 4x12. Here is some even more confusion. 1966a/b cabs are 2x12 cabs the same size and look as the 4x10 cabs. Although I like the tone of the 4x10s much better. With all that said, the 4x12 is still the king!

Latest posts