• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recomendations on Speakers for Vintage JTM45 Style Head.

• Thread starter Biasd
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biasd

Reaction score
Hi All,
Currently have a project on restoring a certain vintage amp (JTM45-esque).
I currently do not have a suitable cab and am thinking of building one specifically for it.

I'm thinking 1x12 or 2x12. Any recommendations on speakers would be greatly appreciated!

Music will be Blues / Classic Rock type stuff.

soundboy57

Reaction score
I found that G12 65 sounded best, out of many vintage cabinets, with a JTM45 clone, as well as a Vintage Modern head.
The mids just came out nicely with that combination. I am a classic rock kinda guy, as well.
Worth a try, YMMV

neikeel

Reaction score

Funny, that picture looks like the back of a head cab (with the removable back panel) what does the other side look like?
I agree a pair of G12M, or my preference pair of G12H would be good, decent quality pre rolas (68-73) would be perfect each 8ohms wired in series for 16ohms. Build into slightly oversized offset speaker design with semi-open back.
That will give good projection (not too much phase cancellation) and spread, easily handle 30w, not too heavy and the H magnets will help control the flubby bass of a JTM45.

67Mopar

Reaction score
Celestion G12M Heritage 20 watt in a 4x12 configuration. I have a compete kit, if you need them.

dro

Reaction score
Orange PPC 112 cabs, Birch ply. Loaded with greenbacks. closed back. Make the Jubilee sound sweeetJubileestack.JPG

Biasd

Reaction score
Funny, that picture looks like the back of a head cab (with the removable back panel) what does the other side look like?
You're right. This is a Dudley Craven amplifier from the mid-sixties. Back then, they apparently came as chassis only. Somewhere between now and then, in the 70's by the looks of it, it was paired with this shell, and what you are looking at is indeed the back. :)
It looks to be a VOX or Orange shell, but who knows. I've retained the shell since it's part of the amp's history. Have turned the amp around and had a different front and back made as a compromise.

Sadly, it's coming time to part ways with the amp. If I were keeping it, i'd have a varnished wooden shell made up in the style of a JTM 45.
You can see front and back pics of the amp, as it is now, here:
http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/dudley-craven-black-fronted-traffolyte-amplifier-64.111853/

By the way, it sounds amazing through a 1960V 4x12!!

Latest posts