Recommend a Good Practice Amp

• Thread starter DWK302
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

DWK302

Reaction score
So I've been looking for a good practice amp. Something that will actually improve my playing. I've narrowed it down to the Roland Cube and the Line 6 Spider Jam (yea I know).

The Roland sounds good for what it is and it comes with a built in drum machine, which doesn't sound good. The Line 6 Spider Jam is based on the Spider III but and has a built in looper, drum machine and 100 or so jam tracks. The drum machine sounds good, but the amp itself sounds pretty bad on the channels I'll use the most (clean, twang, crunch). Does anyone have experience with either amp?

Other option is to forget either one and get a Boss RC-3 looper which has a built in drum machine (only 10 beats) and can hook up to a PC, which allows you to download up to 100 jam tracks.

wakjob

Reaction score
If you have a computer and are into using any form of DAW recording software, I'd suggest some free VST's to download and utilize the looper function in DAW. You can add a kinds of free backing tracks to play along with too.

Hell, even Garage Band is good for practicing, and more.

The Spider Jam is cool as are some Looper Pedals I've tried. Peavey VYPYR's sound good and have a looper but also have serious reliability issues. VYPYR II's are coming out soon though. Maybe better? IDK.

I don't know what kind of music you play? But I'm really digging my new Yamaha THR10x. Damn thing sounds and feels great. Not into rock or heavier? Check out the THR10c.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCDY6rZTri8]Yamaha THR10C - Phil X - YouTube[/ame]

DWK302

Reaction score
I play mostly rock and blues. Not a whole lot of heavy stuff, at least, not anymore. I've mellowed out as I've gotten a bit older. I'm not familiar with DAW(?).

Goes211

Reaction score
Your sig says you have a JCM1-H. What's wrong with that? I can't imagine a better practice amp. Just get a small 1x12 or 1x10 cab with a good speaker. Or are you, like many of us, just jonesing to buy something new? :)

DWK302

Reaction score
Your sig says you have a JCM1-H. What's wrong with that? I can't imagine a better practice amp. Just get a small 1x12 or 1x10 cab with a good speaker. Or are you, like many of us, just jonesing to buy something new? :)

Yes! I don't really use the JCM1 often. I have a 2x12 cab that's hooked up to my YJM, which is my go to amp. I was looking for something that is really geared to helping me be a better player. Something that will give me a beat, jam tracks, maybe hook up to an mp3 player. Things like that. I'm not a pro, and I don't gig, but I want to be better.

GuitarBuilder

Reaction score
A Macbook with GarageBand.

Please send the JCM-1H to me - I'll make sure it gets good use!

DWK302

Reaction score
Don't have a Mac but I have Garage Band on my ipad. The JCM1 sounds very good though:thumb:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Instead of puttin money on an amp just for the drum machine, download a drum program for your computer or buy a drum machine. Buy some speakers or studio monitors for the drum machine.

The JCM-1 will give you tone that no cheap POS practice amp will ever give you.

Thats what i would do. I have tried alot of practice amps, and none come close to the sound of my tube Marshall's. Even at low volumes.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
For good rock tones at a cheap price you can't beat the fender frontman 15

mine is only good for cleans & bass unless I run a multi in front of it.

of the above mentioned the cube is about the best bang for the buck.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
For good rock tones at a cheap price you can't beat the fender frontman 15

This comment is a lie.

I owned one. Cleans were awesome. The dirt channel was atrocious.

I'm gonna agree with Blues. +1 on the cube. Some other good practice amps are the Fender Mustangs and Vox Valvetronix.

DWK302

Reaction score
I had the same experience with the Frontman. Fine for cleans. Awful for dirt.

Rocktane

Reaction score
I have a Micro Cube and a Mustang I in the house.... I have always enjoyed the Micro Cube, it's a fun little amp. Unfortunately, it's on the fritz now but we've had it for over 5 years. The Mustang I....... Well, I liked the Mustang III I demo'd so I bought this for one of my sons and initially I thought it was ok. Now that I have been using it more, I'm not fond of it. Fizzy and overly synthetic to my ears. As others have mentioned, check out the Yamaha THR10 series. Cream = original (Fender, Vox, Plexi, JCM 800, Recto channels), Black "C" = Blues, Olive Green "X" = High gain (Engl, Brown sound, Dimebag). I have to agree that the VOX Valvetronix was pretty good too.