Recommend a Good Practice Amp

• Thread starter DWK302
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Darth Federer

Reaction score
This comment is a lie.

I owned one. Cleans were awesome. The dirt channel was atrocious.

I'm gonna agree with Blues. +1 on the cube. Some other good practice amps are the Fender Mustangs and Vox Valvetronix.

This comment is a lie? You mean you disagree with this opinion, right? When the comment is an opinion, labeling it a lie and the commentor a liar is a bit harsh. Don't you think?

Cadblaster

Reaction score
I've had one of the Line 6 spider jam's for a couple years.
Tone wise,,, it absolutely sucks........
As a standalone practice amp it's awsome. The drum tracks, looping, backing tracks, and aux inputs really work well.

safc78

Reaction score
Yes! I don't really use the JCM1 often. I have a 2x12 cab that's hooked up to my YJM, which is my go to amp. I was looking for something that is really geared to helping me be a better player. Something that will give me a beat, jam tracks, maybe hook up to an mp3 player. Things like that. I'm not a pro, and I don't gig, but I want to be better.

Blackstar HT5R has an aux in so you can put your backing tracks etc straight into it from you mp3/ipod/phone ete

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vox Classic Rock Amplug. Like A Plexi it challenges you to play better and you can play all the blues and rock you can think up for $40. Use decent earbuds and it sounds tits. Use shitty ones and it like using a shitty cab.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need to add something. If you really want to improve as a player, start recording your practices and listen back to them. You'll be amazed at what it does for your playing.

HS no doubt! I have seen so much redundancy in my playing from this it really is revealing. Didn't know how repetitive I was until I watched myself a few times. I mean I knew I was but there's nothing like seeing/hearing it in action.LOL That and I need to lose some wait and start pumping iron/mountain biking again.:eek:

DWK302

Reaction score
I need to add something. If you really want to improve as a player, start recording your practices and listen back to them. You'll be amazed at what it does for your playing.

I just started doing that I realized I can't keep time, and I'm pressing down on the frets way to hard, along with a number of issues to many to list here :D

Last edited:

Vmodder

Reaction score
Vox Classic Rock Amplug. Like A Plexi it challenges you to play better and you can play all the blues and rock you can think up for $40. Use decent earbuds and it sounds tits. Use shitty ones and it like using a shitty cab.
This is true. I have the Vox AC30 amplug. You can hear everything with headphones on.

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
epihead_zps9a4e91f6.jpg

Bigbazz

Reaction score
These days there are almost no bad practice amps, I guess the question is how "good" do you want the practice amp, pretty much anything on the market is definitely good enough and capable of good tones and unless you're going into the more expensive valve practice amp market you might aswell take your pick of anything in your price range.

Both your Roland Cube and Line 6 choices would be good, I'd probably go with the Roland personally. Being honest If it was me I would try to get a low power valve amp, though preferably with an effects loop. The problem with many of the low power valve amps is they aren't flexable enough to be good all round practice amps, the Epiphone above is what I would class more as a recording amp and is a prime example of what I'm talking about.