• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Recommend me a Marshall

• Thread starter juventus
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
And yet the JVM is still better than the DSL. :cool:

I like the JVM, just havent spent enough time with it to say otherwise. Except it was very compressed sounding, but that could have been contributed by alot of things. Not to mention it costs twice as much as a DSL on the used market - not in my price range.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Unless you're one of us who plays multiple styles of music and like to use MIDI-controlled Multi-FX.:wave:

OOOOR, some of us who want Marshall's most "metal" amp with the JVM2 series. :)

CAPDUNN

Reaction score
The most versatile Marshall is and always will be the 6100. It was Jim Marshall's favorite amp of All time and it does vintage, 70's 80's, 90's, and modern sounds of today.

Get a 6100. I nail Malcolm's tone with it, I nail VH, GLynch, John Sykes, Jimmy Page, Dave Mustaine, J Hetfield, Jimi Hendrix, Les Paul, Gilmour, Harrison, Roy Clark, etc with it and there is no other all tube Marshall that can cover that much ground and do it all while sounding awesome.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The most versatile Marshall is and always will be the 6100. It was Jim Marshall's favorite amp of All time and it does vintage, 70's 80's, 90's, and modern sounds of today.

Get a 6100. I nail Malcolm's tone with it, I nail VH, GLynch, John Sykes, Jimmy Page, Dave Mustaine, J Hetfield, Jimi Hendrix, Les Paul, Gilmour, Harrison, Roy Clark, etc with it and there is no other all tube Marshall that can cover that much ground and do it all while sounding awesome.

Still way more expensive than a DSL. At that price I would be inclined to buy the new DSL100 reissiue or a used 800.

The best bang for the buck for a tube Marshall is hands down a used DSL. Lots of money left over for other things - different tubes, different speakers, pedals! The fun never ends!

Adrian R

Reaction score
Still way more expensive than a DSL. At that price I would be inclined to buy the new DSL100 reissiue or a used 800.

I have no practical experience with a 6100 so I really cannot comment...I'm sure its kicks ass like *most* well tuned all tube Marshalls..however, as you mentioned, the cost...

You can get used DSLs all day long in great condition for like 5-700 dollars all ..and when their tuned right their really incredible..and pretty versatile...not as versatile as the 6100 or the JVM with its additional channels..but do you really need all that extra stuff??

I sure don't! I just need two warm, dynamic, crunchy, clear, KILLER tones..loud and LOUDER!:rock:

Marshallmadness

Reaction score
I have played a jvm 210 and 410 and thought they might be the best ever to do everything and do it well. I have a 2203 and a dsl100 and both will get a real authentic ac/dc tone with a Les Paul, good p ups and v-30 speakers. I actually think they do better than some of the old ac/dc recordings. I wouldn't worry about the jvm sounding modern. Dave mustaine usually uses guitars with a JB or his sig p ups, plays a certain way, twists knobs a certain way, uses v-30 speakers, and last but not least plays like Dave Mustaine. I have spent years learning and mastering Megadeth and I can match Mustaine's sound on the last three albums with my 2203, v-30 cab, a zw-44 OD, Les Paul with JB pick up, knob twisting, and proper playing technique to match it.

Pleximan

Reaction score
Get a DSL and dial in 70's 80's 90's...That amp covers all era's pretty dam close.

Keeb

Reaction score
I came here to make sure you don't miss the 6100.
If you're looking for versatility I'd say it's that or a JVM. The DSL is really popular and there is a lot of info about how to mod/tweak them into beasts!

I haven't played a DSL (stock or modded) but there are alot of sound samples and comparisons between different amps on the forum. Search for "comparison" and "shootouts" and what not. These recordings are better that most youtube-phone-recordings.

A jcm800 is really versatile (even my single channel 2203) can do a broad range of sounds but it takes changing settings, boosting with pedals and switching inputs.
If you need versatility from a foot switch (and an fx loop and what not) look into the JVM, DSL and don't forget the 6100!

I'm from Europe so I don't really have a grasp on what these amps go for used in the states but a used 6100 has to be cheaper than a brand new JVM. The DSL will be the cheapest I think.

SwampThing

Reaction score
Enough with this Buuullsnikt....Dude..Check it out,

Get an 800. You can usually find them anywhere between 900 and 1300 bucks.

It can do old school (Zep Sabbath...etc)

It can go Modern (LOG, Shadows Fall..etc)

As for Channel switching learn to use your SG's Volume,:rock:

Wet wonder

Reaction score
I don't think this is complicated. Since your new to it, I'd suggest the JCM800 combo 2x12. No reason to get the head/cab, it'll just cost more. But keep in mind that the 800 hold there price really well on the used market so you're gonna pay US just under $1,000, prob around $800. As a less expensive alternative the JCM900 combo 2x12 is the 4502. That can be had used for US$600-ish. You would be very happy with either. You'd be more than happy. You'd be happ-ier. There are many other options, that will just give you headaches rather than something better in terms of your needs. So stay with the simple choice I suggested. Once you get your first Marshall, you'll learn quite a bit about them and as you become more informed and possibly desire a different rig, than just sell either of these rigs to fund it. Great thing about being a player is buying, learning, selling, buying, learning, selling, buying, learning etc. So always start simple.

Robert Arthur

Reaction score
If you can dime a JCM800 2204 then you will need no pedals, but a good OD will make it more usable. You can dial back the guitar controls for clean. I have a JVM, and there are no in-betweens. IE: You go straight from OD to clean with nothing in between. In my opinion, nowhere near as usable for a pro act as a JCM800 with a well stocked pedal board in front of it.

dreyn77

Reaction score
try and avoid the SELLING actions. and think "It's just voltage, nothing exclusive there". And remember, Current pushes the Volts along the wire, SO don't forget about current. (current kills, volts don't)

SwampThing

Reaction score
try and avoid the SELLING actions. and think "It's just voltage, nothing exclusive there". And remember, Current pushes the Volts along the wire, SO don't forget about current. (current kills, volts don't)

Your posts are like goddamn riddles. You bring up current and voltage in every post WE GET IT. You didnt even come close to recomending anything to the guy.......What........the..........FUCK!

dreyn77

Reaction score
he should have a collection of marshalls. a main amp, a backup, and one more for chorusing, panning etc...
choose the wattage for how loud you want to play.
I'm sick of reccomending things. It's marshall, they are all good, just pick the faults you like. other wise the faults are going to annoy you and you'll sell the amp.
The best amp to PUSH you to become a better player is the 1959rr ( or someth
ing similar) this amp shows all of your faults, but it does respond to your playing, the sound you hear comming from the amp influences you and gives you a new playing style
the best allrounder is the DSL 100 ( or something similar, ie; VM ) It's just too easy to get a great sound from these things! after 10 years with one of these type of amps your playing tends to get 'stuck in a rut', boring 'if you like'. the sound is never boring! (i think this is the BIG reason Garry Moore uses pedal gain)
Good luck, have FUn!

Marshallmaniac

Reaction score
Nothing much beats an old JMP but you're gonna have to play through everything you can come across for a while and decide for yourself.

Chargin265

Reaction score
JVMJS is definitely too expensive. More than 1000+ of what I want to pay. Remember I am in Australia too.

G'day mate. I am Aussie too. I had been looking at the JMD:1 for a while after watching a few good vids on youtube. I managed to score an as new 100 watt head on ebay for $670. I have a few marshall amps including a 1959 Super Lead and JCM800 but right now they are just collecting dust. This JMD is a brilliant amp. I can get awesome tone and a variety of great tones. I would recommend you watch some of Doug Aldrichs JMD videos on youtube. The JMD is the best value amp money can buy!!