Recommendation Regarding JVM410H Potential Purchase

• Thread starter model88
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

model88

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and recently began playing again after a hiatus since the early 90's. My preferred distorted sound is classic 80's hard rock complemented with a really good or at least decent clean channel.

I am considering purchasing a JVM410H (like the flexibility) and since I am not up-to-date on the latest gear, I would really appreciate any input or guidance to the following questions:

1. Will the JVM410H meet or exceed my desired sounds as described above?
2. With the pending new model introductions for 2012, is a replacement model slated for the JVM410H?
3. Should I not worry about question # 2 and just purchase the JVM410H because it is a great head?
4. Any other suggested models?

Thanks in advance,

model88

Rahlstin

Reaction score
1 - Yes
2 - JVM Satriani is on the way - Not a replacment but an alternative
3 - If you can withstand the GAS until after the NAMM introduction and modles arrive for sale, wait. If not, buy today. Rumor has it it will have less gain, built in noise gate, and potential tone changes.
4 - Just about any Marshall will do 80's no prob and more with a booster. Decent clean is subjective.
5 - I just bought a new JVM410H a month ago and thought about the same question as you. Its only money....

rjtm

Reaction score
Hello,

I am new to this forum and recently began playing again after a hiatus since the early 90's. My preferred distorted sound is classic 80's hard rock complemented with a really good or at least decent clean channel.

I am considering purchasing a JVM410H (like the flexibility) and since I am not up-to-date on the latest gear, I would really appreciate any input or guidance to the following questions:

2. With the pending new model introductions for 2012, is a replacement model slated for the JVM410H?
3. Should I not worry about question # 2 and just purchase the JVM410H because it is a great head?

Thanks in advance,

model88

A JVM could do what you want, but there are other amps also. Before we get into that, though, I think if you can hold back your GAS, wait for the 50th anniversary Golden Jubilee. It might be worth waiting for. There are also other amps like JCM 800s, plexis, silver Jubilees, and others. I think you should wait, and when the Golden Jubilee comes out, start comparing the amps side by side and eliminating one by one until you find the right one.

model88

Reaction score
Thanks so much for the input. It is greatly appreciated.

Snakeface

Reaction score
i got the JVM 205h and the JVM series is a great versatile amp...it will do blues, 80's hardrock, metal, etc...all styles and it sounds good at low volumes and brutal at high volumes...I would certainly buy the 410h.

BeardedRetroGuy

Reaction score
The advantage of the JVM4 over the JVM2 is that you get OD1, who's middle frequency pot has been centered over 650 Hz, whereas OD2 (and the JVM2's OD channel) is centered at 500 Hz. It's a more metal sound - less classic rock (what you're looking for). It's a simple mod to change the OD voicing, but this way you already have the tone, PLUS you have the two extra channels to setup.

The JVM is the most epically bad-ass amp ever produced by Marshall. But I think a lot of people here agree that getting the cabinet with G12Ts sucks unless you're trying to play metal or something. They like the V30s in there.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Mate a JVM410h is a fucking beast of an amp. I love mine.
It can do anything from jazz to metal with the right speaker/guitar combination.
The JVM's power section stays very tight and is great for chuggin away..

1. Yes it will meet your needs. Just keep in mind if it feels too stiff you can easily mod it. Cheap and easy.
2. There is a Joe Satch sig. JVM410h coming out which has been quite modified. It may or may not be better for what you want. We will have to wait and see how different the channels/modes are.
3. I would say YEP just get 1. But im impatient lol
4. If channel switching is important to you i dont think there is a better model for what you want. A DSL is basically just a JVM with less features and less gain IMO.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hello,

Thanks in advance,

model88
Hello Model88, and welcome to the forum.

If you have the time, pleae check out the JVM forum. The JVM forum is packed with useful information about tone settings, tube types, modifications, speaker/cab selections, and tone samples. It is a great place to pickup lots of useful information to help you navigate through the JVM universe.

1. I do believe the JVM will be able to handle most typical '80s hard rock sounds (you didn't mention any bands, but I think I know what you mean). Most of those '80s hard rock tones pretty much live in the crunch channel and maybe OD1 channel/green mode. You need to select your speaker/cab wisely, as the speaker selection will greatly influence your tone (I think that the JVM4 sounds great with any speaker/cab, but you have to choose wisely for the style.

2. That's a tough call. Marshall is really tight lipped about it's new products for 2012. We all know a Satriani JVM is slatted for 2012, but nothing else is know in regards to the JVM. I know that many JVM owners have talked at length on the JVM forum about things that we would like to see in an updated version of the JVM (the JVM's designer even chimed in on some of these conversations). So, given that people at Marshall ARE listening to the conversations going on at the JVM Forum, I wouldn't be surprised if Marshall launched an updated JVM sometime in 2012. But like I said, it's a tough call predicting Marshall's plans for their flagship amp in 2012.

3. All I can say is demo a JVM410H before you buy. Brother, let me tell you, during the middle of 2007 I started demoing all tube amps from the biggest names to the boutiques. I thought that I was settled on the DSL100. The JVM had been out on the martket, but it always looked odd: so many knobs, so many switches, so many LEDs, etc., that I just thought it was silly. Then, I plugged in a cheap Ibanez ES-335 style guitar into a JVM410H with G12T-75 and all I could say was, "DAMN! That's a Marshall?" I loved it, but I was skeptical, so I demoed more 410Hs with different cabs at different stores, but it was always the same experience: unbelievable. So, I made my purchase and couldn't be happier. The point: you will know if the JVM410H is right for you when you demo one. I stopped demoing other amps and just focused on the JVM410H until I said, "I'm done searching."

4. If you demo a 410H and end up getting it, I doubt you will be unhappy.
I've used my ideal setup (JVM410H+425B cabinet+Gibson Les Paul Studio Deluxe 60's+Line6 Floor Pod Plus) at jam sessions with other guitar players who were using amps like super lead plexi, DSL100, TSL100, JCM800 2203, JCM 900 4100DR, Vox AC30, Orange Rockerverb, Mesa Boogie Dual Rec and Triple Rec, Engl Powerball, Fryette Pitbull, Diezel Herbert, Krankenstein, Soldano SLO100, etc., and I can tell you from my experiences that a JVM410H will easily hang with any of these amps. You can enter any situation confidently and know that your 410H will sound great.

I love Marshall amps, and I would love to own so many other Marshall models, but if I could pick just one, without doubt or hesitation it's the JVM410H everytime!:dude:

dinkyguitar

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum....

I just got a JVM410h about 3 weeks ago and I have to say, it amazes me everytime I play it. It can sound big when you want it to, and also sounds great at bedroom levels.

In my opinion, it gets great 80's metal, AC/DC and great cleans....You can get alomost any sound. You won't be disappointed....

I got mine used at a decent price, but the amp looks new...not a scratch on it..

dinkyguitar

model88

Reaction score
Thanks again for the additional replies. Based on the input here, it sounds like the JVM410H is exactly what I am looking for. Consider model88 a new member of JVM owners.

spikei

Reaction score
Ive owned several Marshall amps recently inc TSL60, JMD1, Haze, AVT100, Vintage Modern, but found the JVM to be the best of the lot, its probably better that the JCM800and JMP50 i used to own, its certainly more versatile. I agree the speaker choice is very important, i use V30s.

wanky

Reaction score
the clean is great for a high gain amp. its not a fender reverb, but isn't too far off my 6100. the JVM's clean has a ton of headroom, its a bit more bassy than sparkly compared to a 6100/DSL but still very clear.