Recommendations wanted - Delay and Reverb pedals..

• Thread starter Woody81
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not too much of a fan of the newer DD-3's. I don't know what it is, I think they're clipping too early. I get funky sounds when I used them in a pushed effects loop. I have an older Japan model and a newer one.
I'm also using a DD-7, had a Carbon Copy for a minute and also have a TC Electronics Flashback. They're all pretty good delays. The Carbon Copy is the simplest to use and the other two have a lot of options to pick from. I'm willing to bet the other TC delays like the Nova Repeater and Nova Delay are pretty tight as well.

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
According to BossArea about the DD3:

There are 3 main versions of the DD-3. The first version was released 1986 but it was redisigned with a new DSP gate array chip December 1990. The new version was called DD-3A. The DC socket was at the same time replaced with the smaller PCB mounted type and this can be used to identify the version. The design change happened before production was moved from Japan to Taiwan so all DD-3s made in Taiwan are DD-3A or DD-3B versions. The latest version of the DD-3 was introduced August 2001 and is called DD-3B. The DD-3B uses a new type of DRAM as well as surface mounted components. The PCB layout is therefore radically changed compared to the DD-3A.

johnfv

Reaction score
For delay I am a big fan of TC (the 2290 is legendary and for good reason), any of their pedals mentioned (Nova Delay, Nova Repeater, Flashback) would be excellent - I have played them all. I love them for the very natural analog and tape echo modes but they'll do studio quality digital also (and much more). I don't use reverb much but the TC Hall of Fame is nice one, I've played it a few times in a friend's rig.

trenchcoat

Reaction score
This Memory Lane Jr I just bought is very nice. Just under $300.00 and worth it.
I also have a DD3 which I like but it does not offer tap tempo..I easily noticed its a bright sounding pedal too compared to the Memory Lane Jr.

The Memory Lane is without a doubt a better delay plus it offers modulation. I'm satisfied with it. I do still want a good echo to go with it. Maybe a Lunur or better. I'll sell off the DD3. I have no use for any longer.

bolt22

Reaction score
Strymon - the absolute BEST quality delay pedal - hands down!!!

As far as an inexpensive pedal goes, believe it or not the Delta (@49.00) is not bad at all. The Hardwire Delay is fantastic in the @150.00 range.

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Strymon - the absolute BEST quality delay pedal - hands down!!!

As far as an inexpensive pedal goes, believe it or not the Delta (@49.00) is not bad at all. The Hardwire Delay is fantastic in the @150.00 range.

I like the Timeline, the el cap requires some extra effort. Kind of a pain in the ass to use it. I see many of them go up for sale shortly after being purchased.

I think I'd buy the Diamond MM2 before the Strymon Timeline though.
Petrucci's using the Diamond.

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Well, after suffering some issues with a recent delay I bought I did a little more research and decided to buy a Eventide Time Factor. zzsounds offered it with the line 6 expression pedal for $400.00 which I felt was a very good deal. I bought it, I hope to have it Tuesday. It's as close to a rack mount delay in a stomp box I could find.
I like the idea of it being a two in one delay/echo and it can be used mono or stereo.

There was one particular video on you tube that nailed it for me.

zachman

Reaction score
Well, after suffering some issues with a recent delay I bought I did a little more research and decided to buy a Eventide Time Factor. zzsounds offered it with the line 6 expression pedal for $400.00 which I felt was a very good deal. I bought it, I hope to have it Tuesday. It's as close to a rack mount delay in a stomp box I could find.
I like the idea of it being a two in one delay/echo and it can be used mono or stereo.

There was one particular video on you tube that nailed it for me.

Congrats!! Great pedal!

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Compared to the Strymon and other delays mentioned, the Carbon copy is about as out of place as a Yugo, in a Ferrari show.

You can add the Boss DD3 to the Yugo display in that show.

What other delays can we add to the list?

Last edited:

zachman

Reaction score

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Here is a track I did w/ a Boss DD2, run into the Loop of an Egnater TOL100. I thought it worked out great-- But I agree a TC 2290 or Eventide H8000FW they are NOT.

It just goes to show-- There's something to be said about learning how to utilize the tools of the trade, no matter if it's a $50 pedal or a $6K unit.

http://tonefinder.com/files/72-Do%20You%20Remember%20solo%205%2044Khz.mp3

Sounded great..Wasn't the DD2 made in Japan. Different story. The Korean or Taiwan made pedals aren't the same. I may be wrong.. Trying to remember.

I heard someone say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

zachman

Reaction score
Sounded great..Wasn't the DD2 made in Japan. Different story. The Korean or Taiwan made pedals aren't the same. I may be wrong.. Trying to remember.

I heard someone say even a broken clock is right twice a day.

Thanks...:cheers:

Yes, it was a Japan pedal, but the differences in sound are SO subtle that I doubt MOST, could discern an appreciable difference, in a blind test-- if operated properly. That said, while not a bad sounding pedal-- it isn't even close to a GREAT delay ex. TC 2290, Eventide H8000FW, AMS 1580S, Lexicon PCM42, 70, 80, 81, and the difference is SO close between a DD2 and a DD3 by contrast, that the argument doesn't really have merit, imo..

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Thanks...:cheers:

Yes, it was a Japan pedal, but the differences in sound are SO subtle that I doubt MOST, could discern an appreciable difference, in a blind test-- if operated properly. That said, while not a bad sounding pedal-- it isn't even close to a GREAT delay ex. TC 2290, Eventide H8000FW, AMS 1580S, Lexicon PCM42, 70, 80, 81, and the difference is SO close between a DD2 and a DD3 by contrast, that the argument doesn't really have merit, imo..

Well, There are two versions if the DD3. The A and the B.. From what I read the DD2 is best, Then the A then the B.

The time factor is on the fedex truck marked for delivery.. I'm looking forward to hearing that the first delay note.

zachman

Reaction score
Well, There are two versions if the DD3. The A and the B.. From what I read the DD2 is best, Then the A then the B.

The time factor is on the fedex truck marked for delivery.. I'm looking forward to hearing that the first delay note.

The Time Factor is in an ENTIRELY different league than a Boss DD2, DD3, DD5, DD6, DD7. You will be stoked!

trenchcoat

Reaction score
The Time Factor is in an ENTIRELY different league than a Boss DD2, DD3, DD5, DD6, DD7. You will be stoked!

Let me start by saying, even the box was cool.. opened it. Totally impressed.. Plugged in.. cool as ice.

Now, So much to learn. First thing I notice was it changed my sound.
The Mark V has to be eq'd all over again. Bass was really boomy.

I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask... hope you have time and will tolerate. :)

zachman

Reaction score
Let me start by saying, even the box was cool.. opened it. Totally impressed.. Plugged in.. cool as ice.

Now, So much to learn. First thing I notice was it changed my sound.
The Mark V has to be eq'd all over again. Bass was really boomy.

I'm sure I'll have some questions to ask... hope you have time and will tolerate. :)

Congrats on the new addition.

You definitely can shape tone. If you're running it in the loop of your Boogie, set it to +4dB on the input and output.

trenchcoat

Reaction score
Congrats on the new addition.

You definitely can shape tone. If you're running it in the loop of your Boogie, set it to +4dB on the input and output.

Yes in the loop. I'll set both at +4db when I plug in again.
Thanks zach.. I appreciate.