Relic'd Guitars are for Posers

• Thread starter Sledge Johnson
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sledge Johnson

Reaction score
I remember the first ' road worn ' strat I saw.
Satin finish felt smooth, guitar played well but I didnt plug it in... then I looked at the price tag
Ridiculous
Complete loss of interest in the genre which has only gotten more extreme and frankly, not believable.
Just not my cup-o-tea

tallcoolone

Reaction score
Of COURSE they are poser guitars...that WAS the whole point of relic guitars in the first place - guitars that look like 'players guitars' for people who never play enough to get one to look like it.
No. The point of the relic guitars in the first place was to give artists an option to leave the real vintage stuff at home while still keeping appearances on stage. Because older worn guitars look cool. And no one anywhere has ever cared if that "hard earned" finish wear is yours or not.

No one.

Anywhere.

Ever.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
No. The point of the relic guitars in the first place was to give artists an option to leave the real vintage stuff at home while still keeping appearances on stage. Because older worn guitars look cool. And no one anywhere has ever cared if that "hard earned" finish wear is yours or not.

No one.

Anywhere.

Ever.
i think the first one i came across was Fenders road worn original.
it was cool to see for the firt time. what ruined it was
the mass production of the same look. it would have been to easy to
mix it up a bit and limit the numbers.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
i think the first one i came across was Fenders road worn original.
it was cool to see for the firt time. what ruined it was
the mass production of the same look. it would have been to easy to
mix it up a bit and limit the numbers.
You can, you just have to pay more and get a custom shop guitar. The roadworn series was the answer to the question, "why do we need to spend $3000 to get a cool looking worn finish?" I thought it was a pretty good response from Fender. Aside from the fact that you still need to spend $3000 to get a decent sized neck carve on a Fender guitar. Which is why all 4 of my "Fenders" are partscasters

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
You can, you just have to pay more and get a custom shop guitar. The roadworn series was the answer to the question, "why do we need to spend $3000 to get a cool looking worn finish?" I thought it was a pretty good response from Fender. Aside from the fact that you still need to spend $3000 to get a decent sized neck carve on a Fender guitar. Which is why all 4 of my "Fenders" are partscasters
honestly, those dipshits that toss the guitar down on pavement, drag it down a dirt road,
beat it with chains...... thats bs.
a relic done with thought and creativity can be really nice looking. it takes a talent to do it right
a lot like artwork. i think its the gravel road ass hats and the mass production of some is what
ruined it for a lot of the masses. like i said, i like a nitro finish that been started down the worn road
that gives the user a nice but subtle head start myself. if you have a fair number of guitars you like it
would take a guy 2 life times to get his nitro relic'ed all the while keeping his other fav guitars
in fair rotation. so a bump in the right direction helps.

Moony

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of his videos just because I wanted to know how he does it.
Even though I'm not that into relic I'm just curious and I certainly see the art behind it when doing it right.
It seems that he's deleted some videos, there were more iirc?

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I've watched a lot of his videos just because I wanted to know how he does it.
Even though I'm not that into relic I'm just curious and I certainly see the art behind it when doing it right.
It seems that he's deleted some videos, there were more iirc?
yes. use to be easy to find quality relicing videos that actually showed the artwork behind
the skills to do it right. now you have to weed though hours of dipshits to find the quality videos.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Moony

Reaction score
I guess it's a competetive market today more than ever.
Honestly I stand by my opinion - I see more relics that look just "fake" to me than those which are really done well.

And I'm not talking about cheaper stuff only.
Do you know eg the FGN "Relic Master" series?
Done by Siggi Braun, a great German luthier who builts really nice guitars - but the relic job on those FGN Relic Master guitars is just ridiculous.

Here's an example (and there are far worse ones): https://reverb.com/item/34498421-fgn-neo-classic-ls-relic-master-goldtop-nr-032-2012-gold
Please take a look at the photo which shows the back of the guitar. I mean c'mon... really?

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
There is one "relic" technique I've done to a couple of Strats. I've artificially yellowed the maple fretboard with Minwax wood stain. It works well. The last one I did was a 90's Mexican Strat. In that case, it actually put some dark "grunge" lines next to a few of the frets.

It's not so much for "relic" purposes, but I just prefer that look.

El Gringo

Reaction score

No one.

Anywhere.

Ever.
I also think it's a price point and pure marketing genius by Fender when they first introduced the relic guitar in Fender Custom Shop . The price point is for folks that want the looks of a vintage guitar without having to fork over 5 to 6 figures for a real vintage guitar . This fits a "niche" in the market place .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
There is one "relic" technique I've done to a couple of Strats. I've artificially yellowed the maple fretboard with Minwax wood stain. It works well. The last one I did was a 90's Mexican Strat. In that case, it actually put some dark "grunge" lines next to a few of the frets.

It's not so much for "relic" purposes, but I just prefer that look.
pics?