replacement for 490T in SG

• Thread starter Sg-ocaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
Thinking on replacing the bridge on my one SG faded I have. Thinking I want a bit more output/but not crazy like Super D or JB. Want the guitar to sound open and dynamic but a bit hotter and thicker on single notes and a bit ballsier on power chord stuff, but still clean up a bit and have some openness.
Any suggestions?
Ive tried a bazzillion tubes in my life but never really got into swapping pickups. I mean Ive install a bunch but never really know how to quantify what im looking for in a change. Make sense? I just dont want to have to take the thing apart 10x searching just want something that works 1st time round.

Torren61

Reaction score
Thinking on replacing the bridge on my one SG faded I have. Thinking I want a bit more output/but not crazy like Super D or JB. Want the guitar to sound open and dynamic but a bit hotter and thicker on single notes and a bit ballsier on power chord stuff, but still clean up a bit and have some openness.
Any suggestions?
Ive tried a bazzillion tubes in my life but never really got into swapping pickups. I mean Ive install a bunch but never really know how to quantify what im looking for in a change. Make sense? I just dont want to have to take the thing apart 10x searching just want something that works 1st time round.
I don't know if I can answer your question to suite YOUR taste. All I can tell you is that in my opinion, Seymour Duncan Antiquities are the best pickups for the money. I've had them in more than a few of my guitars over the years and people have commented on how good they sound. I can't say if they would be hot enough for you but they tick the other boxes and don't cost a fortune to try out.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Any suggestions?
I have a Super D in my Strat the last 7 months and really digging it, the JB I had was too mid honky sounding I didnt like it.

jeffb

Reaction score
For Dimarzios I'd look at PAF 59s or the 36th set.

I'm not big on most Duncans these days, especially the older winds which have changed so much (for the worse)- I think I'd be inclined to try the Saturday Night Specials, or the High Voltage set (duh) in a SG.

HOWEVER-

If you want to get some world class pickups without breaking the bank- Wolfe over at Wolfetone still has his COVIDidiocy sale going on, and it would be cheating oneself (and a bit idiotic) to spend the same kind of money on boring mass produced Suhrs, Duncans, or Dimarzios instead of his pickups. I'd go for the Marshallheads, MKIIs, or Greywolf in an SG.

Last edited:

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I may look into some of those pups.
As far as the Super D in a strat I have a partscaster with an original unpotted super D and it is balls to the wall 70s rock I really like it. I had a 90's JB in a strat for a long time and yea it was dull and mid honky.

johan.b

Reaction score
Gibson pickups are quite sensitive to what value pot you use... check what you've got. If you have 300k, a 500k might be all it takes and make all the difference...<~10$/€/£...
Just a thought
J

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson pickups are quite sensitive to what value pot you use... check what you've got. If you have 300k, a 500k might be all it takes and make all the difference...<~10$/€/£...
Just a thought
J

That^ and proximity adjustment

I like the DiMarzio DP223 , the slightly hotter 36th anni "PAF"

Scallywag77

Reaction score
I second the Wolfetone recommendation . Email him me tell him what you’re looking for sound wise. He’s very helpful and will work with you.

Rozman62

Reaction score
I replaced my 490T with a 57+ in my SG faded and made a substantial difference. I like my 490T better in my LP. The Dim 36 anniversary is another pup that seems to go over well in an SG. I have a set in a LP and these are my favorite pups that you will not have to dig to deep in your wallet for.

jeffb

Reaction score
boring mass produced Suhrs, Duncans, or Dimarzios
I wanted to add - unless one is going for a very particular tone that a certain pup provides. I.e if you want to sound like Adrian and Ace, of course you want to go the Super D route . Or if u want early George Lynch, go with a DD (though the ones built in the last 20 years or so don't sound nearly as good as the originals)., etc etc.

Sg-ocaster

Reaction score
I replaced my 490T with a 57+ in my SG faded and made a substantial difference. I like my 490T better in my LP. The Dim 36 anniversary is another pup that seems to go over well in an SG. I have a set in a LP and these are my favorite pups that you will not have to dig to deep in your wallet for.
How would you say the 36th differs from the 490T? Ive heard good things about those pups.

X2203xman

Reaction score
The new 490t sounds very nice in my SG tribute.Better than the 02' 5 moon SG.Maybe it's the new Gibson wiring.Sounds really nice with the plexi.

Rozman62

Reaction score
How would you say the 36th differs from the 490T? Ive heard good things about those pups.
Perhaps a tad more output on the 36. Less bright. To me the 490 sounds more paf...ish. Middle position on both sets pair up well. 490 set gets crapped on by alot of people but works for me.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Perhaps a tad more output on the 36. Less bright. To me the 490 sounds more paf...ish. Middle position on both sets pair up well. 490 set gets crapped on by alot of people but works for me.

I dig 490's ,Ive often found myself chasin my tail ....changing pickups ,only to circle back to the 490

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
490T is too bright and 490R too dark so I replaced them with 57C and 57C+ much better. But you gotta have 500k pots, if lower its too dark.