Returned Dsl40cr And Picked Up Origin 20h

Henry Hughes

Reaction score
C07D0513-7D3A-416A-952B-2F9F19496F2C.jpeg everybody is right...dsl40cr is an awesome amp. Turns out it was just a little too hairy in the drive for me. Loud punchy amp that cuts the band mix like a knife. Loved that part just not too into the gobs of gain available.

Picked up Origin 20 head to use with some of my cabs. Whoa!!! That’s my sound! Pretty clean amp with some great light SMOOTH overdrive. Buttery! Then throw my overdrives in front to push. That’s the stuff. Super vintage, articulate, and punchy! Super stoked. Reverb and delay in the crystal clear loop. Good stuff. It’s working for me right now.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
View attachment 51967 everybody is right...dsl40cr is an awesome amp. Turns out it was just a little too hairy in the drive for me. Loud punchy amp that cuts the band mix like a knife. Loved that part just not too into the gobs of gain available.

Picked up Origin 20 head to use with some of my cabs. Whoa!!! That’s my sound! Pretty clean amp with some great light SMOOTH overdrive. Buttery! Then throw my overdrives in front to push. That’s the stuff. Super vintage, articulate, and punchy! Super stoked. Reverb and delay in the crystal clear loop. Good stuff. It’s working for me right now.

I agree with you 100% :yesway:

Welcome to the forum!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
View attachment 51967 everybody is right...dsl40cr is an awesome amp. Turns out it was just a little too hairy in the drive for me. Loud punchy amp that cuts the band mix like a knife. Loved that part just not too into the gobs of gain available.

Congrats and you described both amps tone perfectly...I a happy Origin 50C owner myself!!!!

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the drive channel on the DSLs are pretty aggressive. I replaced the V1 position12AX7 preamp tube with a 5751 to tame the gain on the red channel with no effect on the green channel...exactly what I wanted!

Worked great....30% Les gain!

I’m very happy with the results.

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah the drive channel on the DSLs are pretty aggressive. I replaced the V1 position12AX7 preamp tube with a 5751 to tame the gain on the red channel with no effect on the green channel...exactly what I wanted!

Worked great....30% Les gain!

I’m very happy with the results.

Thanks, have to try it on mine

Henry Hughes

Reaction score
Yeah- I just returned the 40cr because I didn’t want to start modding an amp, to smooth it out, that was still in its return period. Also wanted a head not a combo. Can’t believe they don’t offer that 40 cr in a head. Similarly can’t believe they don’t have foot pedal to take advantage of all its features. Oh there is one available from time to time through dealer in San Diego who marks it up with the intensity of an angry homeless San Diegan.

Also I have to admit I love the lack of options on the origin. I’m a simpleton like that. If I could build a pedalboard out of effects that all I not have one knob I would. More or less....I like my chances for success with those options.

I also feel that the 40cr is a great option for those who would like to ditch most of their pedalboard drives (which is most of my board). Lots of redundancy when playing with 40cr. However with the origin I have a great fairly clean pedal platform, which is perfect for me as I don’t do anything squeaky clean- both musically and personally

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah- I just returned the 40cr because I didn’t want to start modding an amp, to smooth it out, that was still in its return period. Also wanted a head not a combo. Can’t believe they don’t offer that 40 cr in a head. Similarly can’t believe they don’t have foot pedal to take advantage of all its features. Oh there is one available from time to time through dealer in San Diego who marks it up with the intensity of an angry homeless San Diegan.

Also I have to admit I love the lack of options on the origin. I’m a simpleton like that. If I could build a pedalboard out of effects that all I not have one knob I would. More or less....I like my chances for success with those options.

I also feel that the 40cr is a great option for those who would like to ditch most of their pedalboard drives (which is most of my board). Lots of redundancy when playing with 40cr. However with the origin I have a great fairly clean pedal platform, which is perfect for me as I don’t do anything squeaky clean- both musically and personally
So you’re in San Diego? Welcome neighbor, I am about 90 miles north of you, I am in Moreno Valley, I have worked in your local area quite a bit!

Latest posts