Marshall Origin 20H and pedals

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
what i wonder is when will marshall ever build a amp that doesnt need a boost
or extra dirt to sound good?
i mean if everybody is boosting or adding dirt why not just build tem that way?
The only time I didn’t boost a Marshall was in the early 80’s with my 2104 , but in a sense I was boosting it with a crybaby..
It’s just what we do Rick !!
Thanks

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
The only time I didn’t boost a Marshall was in the early 80’s with my 2104 , but in a sense I was boosting it with a crybaby..
Thanks
lol but doesnt answer the question though mitch.
thats why marsall is falling back and behind.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Thanks
The penny has only just dropped, the iconic Marshall tone we all love and we’re brought up on is indeed a Marshall that needs ‘ help ‘ getting there . When the amp has more than enough gain built in just don’t sound ‘ right ‘ . I’ve got amps that do the modern high gain stuff which I dig , but again all the great Marshall tones are Marshall’s being kicked into life by a decent boost of some sort .

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
The penny has only just dropped, the iconic Marshall tone we all love and we’re brought up on is indeed a Marshall that needs ‘ help ‘ getting there . When the amp has more than enough gain built in just don’t sound ‘ right ‘ . I’ve got amps that do the modern high gain stuff which I dig , but again all the great Marshall tones are Marshall’s being kicked into life by a decent boost of some sort .
I agree with this ..
And will continue to boost my Marshall’s

Dave J

Reaction score
Gotta agree here, the DSL40CR has more gain than most people need. But it quickly loses all that classic Marshall tone if you push the preamp, at least it does for me. Modern hi-gain Marshall for days but it skips a lot of good low to mid gain Marshall in the process. It's a Marshall amp, and if someone likes that tone, then that is your Marshall sound. So many legends, Marshall players or not, have used boosts, overdrives, or whatever to get the tones we all love. Just because we are in the golden age of pedals doesn't mean it's a new phenomenon, just means we have more to choose from, with cool variations. Our idols did it too, just had less choice in what they used. If Jimi Hendrix lived now, and continued to push his tone vs settling in on something he used when he was young, no telling what we'd be talking about.

Dave J

Reaction score
How does that EP work in the loop? Do you kick it in by engaging the loop or is it always on? I have this somewhat unknown pedal called "The Distillery". It can add 20-some db boost but alsp has a tone shaping section. Next chance I get I am gonna try it on my DSL40CR loop, but curious as I am also really considering adding an Origin.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
How does that EP work in the loop? Do you kick it in by engaging the loop or is it always on? I have this somewhat unknown pedal called "The Distillery". It can add 20-some db boost but alsp has a tone shaping section. Next chance I get I am gonna try it on my DSL40CR loop, but curious as I am also really considering adding an Origin.
You do need to add the Origin.. I did and glad that I did it.. my Dsl40c’s and Origins are both my rigs.. throw in the 3210’s and I can cover a lot of ground..

Cheers
Mitch

EC Strat

Reaction score
Man now you tell me , Ive only just gone and got the 50 , was initially going to get the 20 but the 50 was only £30 more . If the 20 sounds better than the 50 then the 20 must be a totally out of this universe good amp coz the 50 is a totally out of this world good amp .
No, the 50 sounds better to me. Yea

tonycaster

Reaction score
always on in the loop, I just enfage the loop by footswitch when needed, works great

RCM 800

Reaction score
what i wonder is when will marshall ever build a amp that doesnt need a boost
or extra dirt to sound good?
i mean if everybody is boosting or adding dirt why not just build them that way?
too many different ways to get boost and they all sound different. I would rather have the base tone to develop with pedals myself. As said above Marshalls high gain options really dont do it for me and a lot of other people.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use a TC Spark pedal, which sounds similar to “The Distillery”, because it also has eq,… bass, treble, gain, and level. I have in the loop and it’s on all the time as a clean boost.

Dave J

Reaction score
I use a TC Spark pedal, which sounds similar to “The Distillery”, because it also has eq,… bass, treble, gain, and level. I have in the loop and it’s on all the time as a clean boost.

Nice ! And they are not too expensive either. So the TS-9 is going into the front for a solo gain boost type thing?

tonycaster

Reaction score
I tried the TC spark (the big one), but the results were meh... next gig I'll try a hardwire CM2 with the timmy as solo boost to the front end, keeping the EP in the loop, and see how it goes

Latest posts