Running Linux live

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
The absolute biggest culprit I have faced in my IT life is hardware failures. Most notably, hard drive failures. The advent of SSD has aleviated that to a certain degree, but the technology is still expensive in comparison to conventional rotating platters.

Depending on what has failed, it is difficult to diagnose without a lot more info.
It started with not being able to open a file , after several attempts of reboot. It even tried to auto diagnose but just waiting.
I can get to bios.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
It has no save point , so I didn't try to restore it.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Can you access the drive data on another computer?
Does the SMART status report good on the drive?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
It started with not being able to open a file , after several attempts of reboot. It even tried to auto diagnose but just waiting.
I can get to bios.

If Windows is trying to auto diagnose then the drive is still good otherwise you'd boot to a boot screen and a message stating no hard drive or OS or boot failure or something. Post some pictures of what youre seeing.

It has no save point , so I didn't try to restore it.

If you can actually get to this action where Windows is trying to restore but you see no current restore points, I'm pretty sure theres a link at the bottom for older restore points. This all sounds like a Windows corruption, it could be a drive on its way out too though. If you have another working machine, you can slave your drive in it and run check disk to repair it. A good support tool I use is Hiren's BootCD, its a free download, you make a bootable disk out of it and it has all the tools you need to diagnose and repair most PC issues, its good to keep a copy of this around.

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thanks Pedecamp , I can make a boot disk. I have not been able to boot it lately.
It just does the spin timer on screen but I can get to bios.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
You know , none of this happened before I uninstalled Kaspersky .

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, prudent move.
You are just pounding your head intot he wall until you find out if the drive is good or not.
If the SMART status is good then it is a problem with a corrupt Win10 installation.
If not, then get whatever data off the drive that you can before it fails completely...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I got in after it did self diagnostics it allowed me to go troubleshoot and then reset and keep files. It will dump some apps though.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
funny , I got a Email message from Dell this week saying support will end in November.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Seems like it's all good. No Google , I might try firefox again.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seems like it's all good. No Google , I might try firefox again.

Best of luck IB.

Also, I vote that Micky should get some extra Forum VIP Points for helpfulness.

Meanwhile, this week, all over he world... people are having some issues with recent Firefox update.
It doesn't seem to matter what the OS is, there are some Firefox problems this week, especially for people with add-ons.
I suppose it will settle down in a day or two.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Best of luck IB.

Also, I vote that Micky should get some extra Forum VIP Points for helpfulness.

Meanwhile, this week, all over he world... people are having some issues with recent Firefox update.
It doesn't seem to matter what the OS is, there are some Firefox problems this week, especially for people with add-ons.
I suppose it will settle down in a day or two.
Hey brother , long time no type !

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
For me. I have been in IT now for over 20 years and I want something that..just..works. I work on and with computers all day every day and the last thing I want to do is to have to troubleshoot something at home. That's why my main box is a Win10 machine. I have the software I love on it and it..just..works. Of course I am also sure to use a VPN and a custom HOSTS file so I filter out a lot of the bad stuff that can get onto my PC. That said I do like having a Linux box to fart around on and will install it on my older machine soon.

Cheers bob,

I think I could write a long essay about every sentence in there. (And in your previous post.)

FWIW
Been a Linux guy for about 15 years; since the 90s I have never used a DAW outside of Linux; fortunately for me I don't find Ardour too crashy.

> on the fence whether to go with Mint or Ubuntu Studio... dont really need another DAW machine so most likely Mint.

If you don't want a DAW then I expect that Ubuntu Studio has nothing much in its favour.

FWIW
I made a considered decision last year that I no longer want anything related to Ubunbtu. (But I do still like Debian.)
I have consequently cut myself off from the 'it just works' scene.

I'm intending to make MX Linux my home for a DAW. I'm seven months in and it's working out well so far.

Of course I have to avoid some things: for e.g. I need a basic, class compliant recording interface - not one that relies on Win or Mac software (but I can use any interface with browser-based access).

The only problem I have had with MX is that I can't get my scanner to work. (I'm sure that if I asked for tips on the MX forum this would be solved fairly quickly.)

> the last thing I want to do is to have to troubleshoot something at home.

I have mixed feelings about this. I don't work on computers all day so my situation is unlike yours in that respect.

In some ways I am never satisfied with 'just works': I want to know HOW it works.
My feeling, based on experience, is that I will learn this in a Linux system. But with a proprietary OS some of the steps are likely to be obscured.

Just thoughts: just chatting.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Right , well I spent the money on the computer by wife uses her phone more now. But I was using it for resume , printing (wireless) and hydrogen drum machine. I know I can use Linux but that box has more power (newer) I want to get a newer box someday for linux and maybe dual boot 7 and some flavor of linux. Windows is more of a challenge. Lol

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Hi Pedecamp et al.

The Linux thread lives!
(With a jump from 2015 to 2019.)

"Anybody else enjoy monkeying with this stuff?"
If you mean VNC...
I haven't used VNC for years. I probably should: I could look after my wife's LinuxLite without moving from my office chair.

Meanwhile, I am thinking about recording lately. I put some research into choosing a distro for that. I have settled on MX.
I love it.
It's Debian without System D. Mepis heritage plus Antix heritage. It excels at being a persistent live system. I have not used it as a live system except for my season of reviewing distros but it does seem to excel at that.

I am very happy to be away from Ubuntu land.

I have not undertaken any measures to reduce latency. We are not much into midi, so latency has not been a problem so far. It is nice to know that if latency becomes a problem there is a lot I can do to overcome it - since I have done nothing at all so far.

I am using Ardour for recording. Also Hydrogen - kinda as a fancy metronome.

But I notice that Ardour is far from my only option now. As of 2018 some of the other well known brands of DAW are available on Linux.

Calf plugins with Ardour are cool. Now we Linux guys can have plugins with cool GUIs - instead of the generic LADSPA GUIs.

I bought a Behringer 16 chan interface. It can use USB, Firewire or optical. I bought this one because it has nothing inside that needs software to control it.
Those that need software usually only want Windows or Mac software.
But even that is changing: some interfaces now use browser-based/network-based control.
I was very tempted to go with something from M-Audio for this reason.
This is a welcome development for anybody who prefers a OS-agnostic interface.

Yep - a lot has changed since 2015...
Mx has gone to #1 , wow. Kind of cool because it's not the same old Ubuntu rehashed. I used Mepis in the very beginning and Antix was developed from there. I guess I will try it!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the kind words @tubes but I am not worthy.
I am, and always will be, a hardware guy. Software and OS's are just an end to a means. They arise out of necessity, and one is really no worse than the other, depending on what you pay for it and what you need it to do.

I use Win10 (and Server 2016), MacOS, Linux, UNIX and ChromeOS, all at home now that I am retired from the daily grind. Each does what I need it to, and I definitely favor some over others depending on the application.

What I really need to do is start using Linux for file and web services, I just don't have the motivation to move gobs of data into an unknown void (yet again).
MX does sound interesting though, any comments about its suitability as a server?