Running Linux live

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Kunnz

Reaction score
You may need to find a way to set the permissions on the port...
I have the same problem with USB radio programming cables.

Thank you Micky, I'll keep on tinkering with it, there must be a solution and answer somewhere, I'll get there. :)

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Real work means accessing the Active Directory on a Windows Domain/Forest.
The ability to edit and maintain Group Policies.
Configuring and administering DNS & DHCP servers.
Using Cisco ADMS software to config my routers and firewalls... and on and on.
This is not even mentioning the photo editing software...

RDP is the answer to a lot of it, but I need secure access. Not everything can be done in a web browser...

And no 'e' in Micky.

How come Ubuntu is crashing? Is it incredibly old hardware?

Thanks Micky.
That's informative.
I know that what one person considers 'understanding computers' or 'real work' can be very different from what another person thinks about it.

"...How come Ubuntu is crashing? Is it incredibly old hardware?..."

No, new box, but I had a seven-year-old hard drive in the box.
I thought the old HD was working okay, but now it seems it has finally expired.
I have had no stability problems with Ubuntu since I unplugged it.

Have to say, despite that I might moan about desktops, Ubuntu flys quick on this new box. Boot-up is impressively fast.

But then, who cares much about boot time? As I have said before, one thing I like about Nix is that reboots can be rare events.

I have yet to run a Nix PC for an entire year of unbroken 'uptime', but that's just because there will usually be, in any year, a lightning storm or traffic accident that interrupts power supply.

But 200 days of unbroken uptime is pretty normal around here.

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cheers guys, still getting on with it, I am not a heavy user at all, I don't play games or any video/AV software. My problem is I can't connect to my Rigol DSO 1052E osclliscope through the USB and I'm not too familiar with the command window for executing code yet. I think the crash problem has ceased I hope due to a few upgrades.

The software for the scope provided by Rigol was intended for Windows and it's from 2006 and i'm running it on the WINE, but I think that I need another download app from National Instruments or something to get it going.

I'm not too concerned at the mo' but it would sure be nice to get the scope back online so i'm gonna ask some questions over at EEVblog, unless any of you's have some suggestions which would be well appreciated. cheers folks, I'll keep you's posted :)

Hey Kunnz,
I have used Wine for a few applications over the years, but some of my associates always prefer some sort of Virtual Box for running Windows software.

I know, it can seem a bit mad to think about it: why rely on a Linux system - and then install an entire Windows system inside it?

But it does make some kind of sense to me. Each person has different requirements.

Kunnz

Reaction score
Ok dudes, I'm running outta patients with Linux/Ubuntu. Any windows related operation is a chore even with wine installed and I need those applications to work as I depend on them.
Not cool I would safely say for anyone who doesn’t like spending precious minutes out of their life dicking around with computer command terminals and coding like me. :squint: Thanks for all your help and advice but. :wave:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Tubes nailed it Kunnz, why bother with Ububtu if you need Win apps so bad?

Why not have a separate machine for each instead of installing a buggy middleman like Wine?

At work, I have too many Win apps to run to depend on a Linux system to do them, but I have plenty of room for more Linux machines to do tasks that are more mundane and not so critical, like surfing and email and such...

Kunnz

Reaction score
Thank you Micky and Tubes did nail it, your right!, and that's the road I’ll take, two or three computers. It makes more sense and life easier for me at the mo' plus it will give me more confidence to get more out of Linux which I understand is for more advanced users who don't depend so much on the GUI side of things. I won't give up just yet. :D

Cheers Micky.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
To nearly every problem there is an answer but it depends on how hard you want to try.
Virtual machines are suppose to work well but I have no reason to run Windows.
Run Windows Apps Seamlessly Inside Linux

Oh and by the way i tried the Android OS and it was not anything I would enjoy using.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow! VirtualBox... That is so 2008... Nice try!

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I guess that means you have tried it and it doesn't work well ?
I never tried it .

No, not at all. It is just that it runs XP. Would like to try it with a more modern OS...

I am finally getting to retire/recycle all my older XP machines, we may actually implement a hundred or so Win8.1 netbooks this fall. I am hoping Win10 is out before then so I can persuade those with the money it might be a mistake...

I am finding that a dual-boot system is more versatile than an Ubuntu system with Virtual Windows. If I could find a decent Remote Desktop Client I might actually get more Ubuntu clients installed. All I need it to do is connect to my servers, and then I am OK with it.

dmagalhaes

Reaction score
I've got two core i5 Thinkpads with SSD's. My daily driver runs Ubuntu Gnome and the other has Windows 7 Pro and just gets used for iTunes and the few things I can't do on Ubuntu like program my Logitech remote and the like. I cannot express in words how much I prefer the Linux notebook to the Windows 7 one.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I never needed to run Windows apps in Linux, thats what Windows is for :). What do the folks at Ubuntu Forums have to say about that? Or about a decent remote desktop client?

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score
I'm going to stick with my Mac. It's easy to use and I feel safe with them. In fact, I'm sure someone is watching me right now through the camera just to make sure I'm ok.

Call me paranoid if you want, but the day I got this laptop I put a piece of masking tape over the camera. Shrug. -Rod-

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Call me paranoid if you want, but the day I got this laptop I put a piece of masking tape over the camera. Shrug. -Rod-

Did you hear that Samsung smart TVs are being used to spy on consumers in their own homes? Sound, video, it can happen...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
tin-foil-hat-3.jpg

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I finally got that old tower from my dads house and started playing. My plan was to run Ubuntu 10.04 since its faster on older machines than the current version, so I popped in the CD to run it off disk to make sure it works right before loading, the wireless adapter doesn't load! Damn! I'm a plugnplay kinda guy so I decide to try 14.04 instead to see if its any better, this time the wireless works but the video goes kablooey! What the eff, the video worked well on the older version but not the newer?? Thats weird wasn't expecting that. So now I gotta figure out how to get one of these working, I download the wireless drivers but its not an easy install on 10.04, my computing skill confidence is out the window, I gotta muster up the patience to get through this....

Latest posts