Running Linux live

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Maybe you can get 14.04 installed then run software update to update the video?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Maybe you can get 14.04 installed then run software update to update the video?

What happens during bootup the toolbar shows up at the top of the screen and Im able to get the wireless connected. The OS load to memory hasnt finished yet so I cant do anything then the screen goes to all kinds of rainbow stripes and the install never goes anywhere.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Is there an option to load a safer version?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Is there an option to load a safer version?

I don't know. I'm downloading VMware player so I can do a local install and run Ubuntu like an app. Then I'll see what I can do about drivers.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
When I first started using Linux I had an issue with Ubuntu , I never new why but my hardware didn't mesh with it for some reason.
I tried about 20 different distro's
You have to find one that works for you and for me it depends on what desktop you like.
I would always use KDE until they did a major change.
Now I prefer Gnome.
I was not crazy about XFCE but many people like it.

There are so many variants of Ubuntu , Mint is very popular right now and I ran a distro called Cinnamon . I liked that but it was a while back. Now there is a Mint version called Cinnamon.

I ran PClinux for quite a while , great forum.
My point is there are tons of linux versions , try some other ones to see if you can find one that you and your computer like.
http://distrowatch.com/

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
The VMware idea didnt pan out, in 10.04 NAT is automatically setup so I cant really get to the wireless, in the VM it sees it as ethernet. In 14.04 the 64 bit OS fails and doesnt load so I downloaded i386 version which installs properly in VMware but when I actually try to run from the CD on the PC I get that video issue still. Its gotta be the monitor or video card, I'll see if I can dig up a different card and monitor to see if it makes a difference, I'm suspecting the card right now, its nothing special just an Nvidia gforce 7300, I'd figure the latest Ubuntu could plugnplay that.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
The VMware idea didnt pan out, in 10.04 NAT is automatically setup so I cant really get to the wireless, in the VM it sees it as ethernet. In 14.04 the 64 bit OS fails and doesnt load so I downloaded i386 version which installs properly in VMware but when I actually try to run from the CD on the PC I get that video issue still. Its gotta be the monitor or video card, I'll see if I can dig up a different card and monitor to see if it makes a difference, I'm suspecting the card right now, its nothing special just an Nvidia gforce 7300, I'd figure the latest Ubuntu could plugnplay that.

Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, I will offer up a video card or two if you need one. PCI? PCI-Express? I have lots of PCI cards, and if you can use one or two they are yours.

Also - I tried Mint a while ago, and while it did load and run fine, there were just aspects of it I didn't like. For example, its dependence on Firefox as a browser was what made me uninstall it immediately. At least with Ubuntu, I can use Chromium...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help, I will offer up a video card or two if you need one. PCI? PCI-Express? I have lots of PCI cards, and if you can use one or two they are yours.

Also - I tried Mint a while ago, and while it did load and run fine, there were just aspects of it I didn't like. For example, its dependence on Firefox as a browser was what made me uninstall it immediately. At least with Ubuntu, I can use Chromium...

Cool thanks! I know I have a couple boxes of crap in the basement (and a few crt monitors), if I cant find anything usable I'll give you a shout. Tonight after work I'll probably fool with it. What I should really do is just go ahead and install the 10.04 and wrestle with the wireless driver and get it going, thats all I really need. I had 10.04 on an old netbook last year and when I upgraded to 14.04 it was considerably slower, so I know 10.04 is really the way to go although I like the upgrades 14.04 offers. We'll see, one step at a time.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I need to reboot this machine, as I am still having an update issue with ubuntu here.
Just havent had the time as of late, too much crap going on and can't wait for vacation next week.

I will bet I still won't have any free time...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Its baseball season, kids on 3 different teams. No free time...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
micky-albums-general-photos-picture11210-screenshot-2015-04-10-11-25-59.png

ibmorjamn

Reaction score

I don't run mint either , I did run Cinnamon when it was a separate distro , still built from Ubuntu.
If you go to the Ubuntu forum you should be able to find a work around on the video card.
Debian you probably know is closely related to Ubuntu .
https://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I haven't booted into Linux in a month or so, and I finally had a moment to let Software Update run.

The bitch still doesn't recognize my programming cable for my Ham Radio handheld...

Grrrrrrr!

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Damn you know it's not winders Micky. I am sure you have a dual boot or another box.
Point is for me the only reason I run windows is for recording.
Money is what ties us to winders but I am for the most part free from it and feels great.
I am however sort of tethered to itunes for guitar software.
I generally hate having to use anything that is tied to cash.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
So I tried Ubuntu 14.04.2 64 bit and 32 bit and neither ran on my machine, also tried Ubuntu 10.04 but couldnt get the wireless installed. So chatting on Ubuntu forum it was recommended I use Xubuntu 14.04.2 which is a light weight version of the full install. This was the answer, everything seems to be working quickly and smoothly so far. I read over the list of "10 things to do first in Xubuntu", turned on the firewall and am in the process of completing the rest of the 10 steps. So far so good! I'll post an update later when I get everything done.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
$hit that is cool! Way to go!

So I finally shut down my RedHat v.4 server the other day. Still need to do a proper eulogy. It ran a Ham Radio Internet interface, and no one used it any longer. It had been running for over 10 years... RIP

Will need to rip the interface out and probably stick it into a Ubuntu box...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Damn you know it's not winders Micky. I am sure you have a dual boot or another box.
Point is for me the only reason I run windows is for recording.
Money is what ties us to winders but I am for the most part free from it and feels great.
I am however sort of tethered to itunes for guitar software.
I generally hate having to use anything that is tied to cash.

I haven't paid M$ since before 2003. Other than the computers at work (school) Windows is just a means to an end. All my Linux stuff now dual-boots, and I even have a triple boot Apple MacBook around here somewhere...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think I got everything done! Only problem it seems the wifi connection isnt stable. It shows its connected but websites time out when accessing them. Theres a quick dropdown at the top of the screen where I can disable and re-enable wifi and that seems to fix it every time. I think I'll post this issue on the Ubuntu forum and see what responses I get.

Latest posts