Running Linux live

• Thread starter ibmorjamn
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've stuck with IE through all the years, never had a problem with it. Firefox with Linux. Is there any hard evidence that one browser is better than another? I've never seen any or heard any explanations.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Please don't get the wrong idea here - I am only advocating for what works for me.
Also, any advice I might offer may not suit your individual needs.

Having said that, I am now only limited to 2 different browsers I must use.
IE and Chrome. Note I said MUST in the above sentence...

I use a program called LanSweeper. It is an 'inventory' program that collects info about every device on my networks and VLAN's. It has a bunch of useful utilities that are just a click away, things like shutdown and reboot a computer, NBTStat and such.

Under Chrome, these utilities will not run under the 64-bit version, and require a plugin to run in the 32-bit version. Under IE they work just fine. This is only one example of why I must use 2 seperate browsers, and the reverse is also true. There are things that work in Chrome that will not work or display properly in IE.

So I generally will start with Chrome, and use that until there is something that won't work, then I am forced to use IE. Chrome has fewer errors.

Don't even get me going on security vulnerabilities...

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I meant Chrome not Chromium.
What screwed up Firefox ( security aside ) was flash player or lack of.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
OK I joined the rest of the world and installed Chrome on my Xubuntu. So far so good...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
OK I joined the rest of the world and installed Chrome on my Xubuntu. So far so good...

On my Linux machines (yes, I have more than one...) I like Chromium. I like the fact that the OS updates handle the Chromium updates as well, it is not a separate thing like on the WinOS platform. And Chromium is true 64-bit, not like it's Windows counterpart Chrome which is usually a 64-bit shell around a 32-bit core.

You can see this, look in ProgramFiles(x86) and that is where you will find Chrome and all its sub-folders. This is the 'compatibility' folder for apps on a 64-bit Windows installation.

Don't get me wrong here (again...) I like Chrome and all, but it has a BUNCH of idiosyncrasies that drive me nuts. Hopefully a true 64-bit version is on the way soon...

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
On my Linux machines (yes, I have more than one...) I like Chromium. I like the fact that the OS updates handle the Chromium updates as well, it is not a separate thing like on the WinOS platform. And Chromium is true 64-bit, not like it's Windows counterpart Chrome which is usually a 64-bit shell around a 32-bit core.

You can see this, look in ProgramFiles(x86) and that is where you will find Chrome and all its sub-folders. This is the 'compatibility' folder for apps on a 64-bit Windows installation.

Don't get me wrong here (again...) I like Chrome and all, but it has a BUNCH of idiosyncrasies that drive me nuts. Hopefully a true 64-bit version is on the way soon...

My Xububtu is 32 bit. I wouldnt install a 64 bit browser no?

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
After reading the features it didn't make sense to download Chromium for a 32 bit machine, it seems to really be designed for 64 bit as you had mentioned. Chrome on the other hand has been god awful I take back what I said about so far so good, bogs down all the time to the point I'm gonna uninstall it. I went back to Firefox which works consistently at least on my machine.

Blokkadeleider

Reaction score
While working on a new song in Ubuntu Studio...
Most stuff actually runs fine. Amplitube3 in wine with wineasio, EZDrummer 2 also runs fine in wine. Ardour on. Nothing happens without Jackctl of course!
All very stable too.

ardour-2015-05-10-01.png

Gr,

Gerrit.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
After reading the features it didn't make sense to download Chromium for a 32 bit machine, it seems to really be designed for 64 bit as you had mentioned. Chrome on the other hand has been god awful I take back what I said about so far so good, bogs down all the time to the point I'm gonna uninstall it. I went back to Firefox which works consistently at least on my machine.
The issue of all the browsers now is flash player.
HTML5 killed adobe flash player not Apple ?
I thought it was Microsoft ?:lol:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think it is related to Chrome, as well as Flash Player.

Chrome is dropping support for Flash as well as Silverlight, in a move away from NPAPI controls. Hopefully in Chrome 45 the move to HTML5 will be complete, until then, everything is just a workaround.

Get what you can from whatever browser you can, while you can still get it...

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Micky.
Useful info.

On my Firefox in Ubuntu, as I speak, the browser shows me that 'Firefox has prevented the outdated plugin "Adobe Flash" from running...'

It has been like this for a few months.

I can enable Flash if I want to, but I assumed this message appeared just because I was using Linux.
I don't see this message on my Winders box.

Micky, can you tell us any more about what's happening - from a broad perspective?

I mean, there must be commercial issues: there are websites that rely heavily on Flash, there are services that deliver advertising to sites, relying on Flash... the implications must spread far and wide...

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
That is a great question. I have a somewhat limited view and explanation...

There is a much larger initiative in the Internet world to move towards more common, open-source methods of coding, and this explains the move toward HTML5. As the internet evolves and more people get off dial-up and onto broadband, the possibilities for richer and more graphical content expand immensely.

For quite some time, Adobe Flash and Microsoft Silverlight (as well as a few others such as Apple's Quicktime and Adobe's Shockwave) have been the primary providers of 'rich' content, (i.e. the ability to animate graphics and provide a somewhat interactive interface) and many website developers depended on the ability of these 'add-on' programs to help them display their flashy graphics and such.

Rather than rewrite their websites and invest a lot of money into other methods, they relied on these add-ons, thinking they would always be there. Well, since then, many security holes have been discovered, and the limitations of these helper apps has been drawn into the forefront. There must be a better way, they said...

And thus, HTML5 was born. Now this isn't a perfect solution, and I am certain some hacker or group will come along and find or develop some sort of exploit that will force people tho think about their website content, but it is a more elegant and cost-effective solution for the mass programmers who don't want to rely on Flash or Silverlight.

Both Adobe and MIcrosoft realize that further development is really a dead-end, and have decided to stop throwing good money after bad, so to speak. As a result, many of the lazy programmers who depended on Flash or Silverlight to get things accomplished on their sites are now being forced to re-develop their stuff using HTML5, and that is gonna take some time. Rather than just stop supporting it, most browsers are easing users out of the situation by disabling it within their browser. In some instances it can still be re-enabled, but by and large, come September or so, all rich content will be delivered via HTML5.

One of the things Silverlight provided was called NPAPI support. As Google puts it:

"NPAPI is a really big hammer that should only be used when no other approach will work. Code running in an NPAPI plugin has the full permissions of the current user and is not sandboxed or shielded from malicious input by Google Chrome in any way..."

This is only one aspect of the 'insecurity' risks these plug-ins create. Adobe Flash is a whole 'nother story, why do you think Flash is not enabled in IOS devices?

Anyway, it is just another storm cloud headed for your parade. You would think people would have learned their lesson with Java, but you don't see anyone shutting down development of that virus. Oracle is probably just not smart enough to see the writing on the wall...

tubes

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks again Micky.
Very helpful information, and thanks for taking the time to explain.

Seems to me these things change quite quickly. I only took my eyes off it for a few months and now.... I'm stoopid!

Makes me wonder how you keep up with this speed of constant change for your daily work.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
It is sad how the people have to suffer due to the vendors not seeing beyond the tip of their nose.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Wow having fun with my Linux box, I just installed VNC Connect and VNC Server to demo them and they are really cool. It allows me to remote control other computers, I loaded it on my Linux box and my Windows laptop and it worked flawlessly in both directions, it also comes in a phone app so I put it on my Android phone and it worked flawlessly. So the idea is to install Xubuntu on my dads computer and the VNC packages so I can provide him remote support, hes super paranoid and thinks somebody is always trying to hack his computer, he doesnt understand all the Windows messages and popups he gets all the time so I figure if I put Linux on his box he wont get any more of that, and stop paying money for that pesky Norton antivirus. :yesway:

Anybody else enjoy monkeying with this stuff?

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I did enjoy linux but have not used it in a year. I never tried the VNC. It's been around for a while.
I need to get another computer since my old linux box is a core 2 duo.