Sad

• Thread starter Viking62
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Viking62

Reaction score
Sad, considering what they were like prior to the American allure and associated money tree, fame fortune and all that ****e

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMtVQqg_tJI[/ame]

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
especially when they were doing it the British way...

Sorry, but my fave is when they had:

David Coverdale
John Sykes
Adrian Vandenberg
Don Airey
Neil Murray
Aynsley Dunbar

Sounds pretty much British to me...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-Ha118VFqI[/ame]

2nd favorite goes backwards, when they had Cozy Powell (yep, another Brit) on drums...

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9uFNHvDBVg[/ame]

ricksconnected

Reaction score

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I thought the poms copied the Americans. Maybe my History book is wrong.

Viking62

Reaction score
Yeah it wasnt so much the line up being American or America's fault, more the way the band changed to suit the US market, big bleached hair and became more of a metal version of Bon Jovi..
My favourite line up was the hard rock'in blues based Whitesnake being: Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Neil Murray, Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody with Viscount Coverdale..
and yes the poms bought the blues back to America aka the "British Blues Explosion" in the 60s

Attachments

• girlysnakes.jpg
    girlysnakes.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 11

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Yeah it wasnt so much the line up being American or America's fault, more the way the band changed to suit the US market, big bleached hair and became more of a metal version of Bon Jovi..
My favourite line up was the hard rock'in blues based Whitesnake being: Ian Paice, Jon Lord, Neil Murray, Bernie Marsden and Micky Moody with Viscount Coverdale..
and yes the poms bought the blues back to America aka the "British Blues Explosion" in the 60s
If you note, the line-up you posted was right after the line-up I posted. When David fired the whole band & they went downhill fast. It seems that Rudy & Tommy were hired for bands when that happened. Not to fault them, as they are great musicians, but it's just an unfortunate thing for them...

If you notice, David had a hard time keeping a steady band after that, until he got Doug to play guitar. Doug earned a good reputation for putting up w/ it...

I like Mardsen & the other guys, but, IMO, the band borderlines country & w/ a little bluegrass, which to me, didn't work so well & I believe that's why they struggled for success, even though they were almost guaranteed success after Dave's stint w/ Deep Purple...

Tone Slinger

Reaction score
I agree with DOD. Whitesnake struggled in the '70's when they should have been having more success (due to Coverdale's stint in DP). IMO, I think Whitesnakes problem in the '70's was the lack of a strong songwriter/s. Coverdale sounded GREAT on 'BURN' and 'Stormbringer', and I give Blackmore credit for that. The Bolin DP stuff wasnt NEARLY of the level of it's Blackmore predicessors(damn I cant spell). Coverdale is TOO melodic for straight blues stuff, yet his guitarists in the '70's were basically just that. Blackmore epitimized, imo, what the Brits (Europeans as a whole really) did to AMERICAN blues/rock music, which was to fuse more melodic (classical) musical idea's within the primal 1/4/5 structure, as well as to overhaul whole structures.

So, in the end,Coverdale needed someone like Michael Schenker to have really succeeded back in the late '70's. Those two in that '78-'84 time frame would have produced some success. Obviously both those guy's are notorious for being hard to work with, so the two together might have been a long shot,but each compliments the other.

Coverdale got it right though by 'Slide It In'. Whitesnake 'Whitesnake' had its moments ('Still Of The Night' is monumental :hbang:), but was maybe a bit TOO structured/aimed at the market of that day (MTV :) ) .

Las Palmas Norte

Reaction score
Sad/funny is this French TV lip synch from Coverdale prior to forming Whitesnake.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mueT0DnhZQ8"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mueT0DnhZQ8[/ame]

johnfv

Reaction score
I saw Deep Purple when I was a teen with Coverdale, Hughes, Bolin, Paice, Lord. I saw Coverdale do the Purple Album tour recently. There are some great songs and some good players. That said, Coverdale's voice is gone. From everything I have heard, Glenn Hughes still sounds fantastic - I'd love to see him tour the US again.

Rocktane

Reaction score

Vinsanitizer

*** Canceled ***
VIP Member
Reaction score
I was never a huge fan, but they were one of the icons of their day for sure. I'd been in bands and had never heard of them until Love Ain't No Stranger and Slide It In. I thought that song kicked *ss! It totally took me off the Thin Lizzy/KISS/Rush track and turned me on to Metal (old school of course). Later, I thought Still Of The Night was a masterpiece. I'd been getting into commercial/formula-based song writing by the mid 80's, and was writing catchy hooks, and I'm sure Whitesnake was one of many important influences. I was totally into the early polish of rock radio hits up through Born In The USA, Bon Jovi's New Jersey, heart, Cheap Trick - lots of stuff. Rock was maturing immensely in it's song writing and recording polish. But unfortunately it went beyond that maturity and became more like syrup. I think Warrant and Poison were the kind of bands that ruined it. Plus all the band names were "white": White Snake, White Lion, Great White, White Cross, White Heart. And boys with long hair looked more like chicks than rebellious young angst.

Anyway, yeah - Whitesnake. I dug them for a while and then I got really sick of the over-polish and predictability.

Viking62

Reaction score
Certainly didn't intend turning it into an 'America vs English' thing, just a observation in the polar differences between two types of Whitesnake i.e. Blues based Heavy Rock vs Big bleached hair Metal.
The band was massively popular in the UK in the early 80s prior to America embracing them, (head lining Monsters of Rock Donnington etc) as was Rainbow to a similar extent..
Any musician would want a piece of the US market and hats off to Coverdale and Blacker's for doing that successfully in their solo projects post Deep Purple.
Its all down to personal preference.. sorry no offence intended to my American brothers..

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c-9YHXw6tg[/ame]

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_TO8a-6AHU[/ame]

Viking62

Reaction score
So where are all the Poms in their 50s... oh sorry I've done it again and mentioned another country.. LOL :squint:

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
So where are all the Poms in their 50s... oh sorry I've done it again and mentioned another country.. LOL :squint:

Blackmore and Page copied, but man look what they created. I probably would have stuck with drums if it wasn't for Blackmore.

Latest posts