Saw Black Label Society at Rockfest...WTF was wrong with the Marshalls?

• Thread starter jaek
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jaek

Reaction score
Saw Zakk at Rockfest Saturday evening and I gotta tell ya, it was the biggest disappointment all day. His tone was ice pick trebble clear from the front row to the back. It was all you could here!

Now other bands used Marshall. Evalyn Awake had a DSL and it had a dark creamy tone and New Medicine had a good sounding TSL. Why must the band you want to hear the most suck so badly :hmm:

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Was the EQ Tone from the Stage Mix (Direct 2203=Zakk) or from the PA (Bad EQ=Sound Engineer)?

None the less that sucks. I too have been disappointed on more than one occasion.

1.) Randy Rhoads Treble: Both times
2.) George Lynch Treble: Once, Great on all other accounts
3.) Warren Demartini Treble: Both times
4.) Joe Perry Could not stand not to mention Play: Once
ect, etc, etc...

Greatest Live Tones for me were

1.) Angus Young
2.) Malmsteen
3.) Blackmore
4.) Eddie
5.) John Sykes

David :cheers:

ToneZone100

Reaction score
I've seen BLS a couple of times and both occasions the guitars were way too mid scooped with loads of bass and uncomfortable high end frequencies. It sounds good in a studio mix but the volume required live situations to make it cut thru the mix makes it sound shit. Thats my take anyhow.

ItsChrispyTv

Reaction score
I've seen BLS a couple of times and both occasions the guitars were way too mid scooped with loads of bass and uncomfortable high end frequencies. It sounds good in a studio mix but the volume required live situations to make it cut thru the mix makes it sound shit. Thats my take anyhow.

Your right, but i used ear plugs for first half seeing them and then took them out for in this river (I'm not a pussy i have tinnitus and i'm 15!). Anyway with the ear plugs in it cut some of the treble out and sounded awesome! When i took it out for the other half it sounded really shitty but i didn't really care cause i was having to much fun haha. But yeah his live tone blows compared to studio :headbanger:

jaek

Reaction score
Was the EQ Tone from the Stage Mix (Direct 2203=Zakk) or from the PA (Bad EQ=Sound Engineer)?

None the less that sucks. I too have been disappointed on more than one occasion.

1.) Randy Rhoads Treble: Both times
2.) George Lynch Treble: Once, Great on all other accounts
3.) Warren Demartini Treble: Both times
4.) Joe Perry Could not stand not to mention Play: Once
ect, etc, etc...

Greatest Live Tones for me were

1.) Angus Young
2.) Malmsteen
3.) Blackmore
4.) Eddie
5.) John Sykes

David :cheers:

We were there all through soundcheck and yeah even before the PA it was all trebble. The PA did add wayyy to much trebble in addition too.. however clear across the park (Liberty Memorial park) it sounded pretty good :wtf:

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Saw Zakk at Rockfest Saturday evening and I gotta tell ya, it was the biggest disappointment all day. His tone was ice pick trebble clear from the front row to the back. It was all you could here!

Now other bands used Marshall. Evalyn Awake had a DSL and it had a dark creamy tone and New Medicine had a good sounding TSL. Why must the band you want to hear the most suck so badly :hmm:
It could also be that he had the brighter 2203's
they seem to be one of two sounds, flatulent lows or ice pick treble. I love those amps but, you can dial ina a harsh tone VERY easily on them.
Zakk has always had a treble happy tone imo too. DSL's are darker and warmer toned imo too. Mine was very creamy sounding. so much so that without a boost the gain was almost too thick at times and wouldn't cut well. Sound guy,way of the 2203,bad EQ. Those are my theories.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
We were there all through soundcheck and yeah even before the PA it was all trebble. The PA did add wayyy to much trebble in addition too.. however clear across the park (Liberty Memorial park) it sounded pretty good :wtf:
high freq travel slower than low freq so to get "projection" you add more treble. lows travel further as well so way across the park you were getting less highes literally while the lows were mostly intact. treble rolls off quickly.

brandoz28

Reaction score
I saw BLS at Lazerfest on Sunday and the sound was VERY bass heavy, not sure if it was just the sound guy or what, but it was a little disappointing.

StootMonster

Reaction score
I saw BLS at Lazerfest on Sunday and the sound was VERY bass heavy, not sure if it was just the sound guy or what, but it was a little disappointing.

Zakk probably yanked a knot in his arse for the high treble sound of the previous gig...

RazorDave

Reaction score
WYLDE OVERDRIVE! That pedal does not help in my humble opinion. I bought it and slammed it in front of my DSL as it was made to slam in front of an already driven tube amp! It took like half the balls away from my amp and gave it more of an ice pick tone. Great harmonics, but dam, youd have to have a full stack to feel the lowend